Teaching salaries in Jeddah

Hi all,

I'm hoping that some of you in Jeddah might be able to help me out; I'm wondering what the "normal" salary is for a full-time English teacher at a university (on a prep. year program) in Jeddah.

Also, how much will I need to spend to rent a basic studio or one-bedroom apartment there?  Will it be difficult for a single female to rent an apartment? (I've heard that this is at least possible in Jeddah?).

Thanks in advance

albadawiya wrote:

I'm hoping that some of you in Jeddah might be able to help me out; I'm wondering what the "normal" salary is for a full-time English teacher at a university (on a prep. year program) in Jeddah.

Also, how much will I need to spend to rent a basic studio or one-bedroom apartment there?  Will it be difficult for a single female to rent an apartment? (I've heard that this is at least possible in Jeddah?)

There's really no such thing as a "normal" salary for direct-hire PYP teaching positions, which is why you rarely see salaries indicated in job postings.  Your salary will be calculated based on your degree type/major, whether you're a native speaker, and your verified years of teaching experience.  (Verified experience consists of an official letter from each of your previous places of employment stating, at the minimum, your start and end dates and your job title.  Each letter must be on the employer's letter head and should include the name, contact info, and signature of the authorized rep who supplied the information.)  So, for example, you taught for 5 years total for different past employers but can only provide verification letters covering half that.  Then 2.5 years is what the prospective employer will consider when determining your salary.

In regard to housing, many single expat women (teachers) rent without a hitch.  I have a couple of women friends who pay around 20,000 riyals per year for their one-bedroom flats. You didn't state what your housing allowance will be.  Therefore, it's hard to say what you can afford; rents can vary depending on the area.  Anyway, I'm sure you'd find something at a suitable price.  Your best source for housing advice will be your teaching colleagues.

Smurfette,

Thank you so much for your help; great to hear that women can rent without a problem in Jeddah.  My allowance will be 2000SR/month; as this is not enough for a place in a compound I was concerned that I might be stuck!

I'd be looking to live around a-Sabeel or al-Balad.

Thanks again and best wishes

Oooo... Don't even think of living in Alsabeel or Balad,, not good areas to live especially for a single woman . Maybe Hai al jamaa or al naseem ( both are near the uni ) but I use to know few single teachers living in buildings in Palestine street ( I will recommend that  area )

ahmadaq wrote:

Maybe Hai al jamaa or al naseem ( both are near the uni ) but I use to know few single teachers living in buildings in Palestine street ( I will recommend that  area )

She didn't say which university, but I doubt it's KAU because they don't give monthly housing allowances.  Plus, she was offered more than what they provide.  I agree about Al Naseem---six of my friends live in that district.

True , I assumed it was KAU.. Even if it was Effat Uni ( again am assuming lool ) sabeel or Balad are no areas to live

Thank you again, both of you.  I'll take some time to look and ask around about areas when I arrive, but will steer clear of al-Balad, then!

Thanks for the tips.

Why would you want to take a job which pays less than a totally unqualified TCN driver?
You would be much better off seeking employment as an office administrator with a foreign JV company as you seem to be able to speak excellent English. My company, for example, would pay something in region of SR.5000 per month

I agree with thehudd, it is worth to try other field than teaching. Here in jeddah; i think, will find good chances to start with.

any way, good luck

Hi

As a single male teacher here, been over 4 years now, I can tell you that unless you wanna fork out on big clams, you won't find a place easily. I searched for ages until I found a nice single flat with a great Syrian landlord. Jeddah and Saudi for that matter is very Family orientated. Apartments (flats) are associated with this and most are overpriced and oversized for families. I.E. 3-5 rooms and prices from 3-5 K Riyal. I was lucky to find a 2 bedroom (ground floor) flat with kitchen and bathroom for SAR 1 100pm. It's  not in the most elite area, but I am comfortable and about 10 minutes from my work. Contact me for more info. Ciao!

Sorry, but forgot to reply on salary. You should be in the region of 12K up depending on qualifications and experience. I earn less basic salary, but make more with extra lessons and less stress. Swings and roundabout scenario.

The allowance that she mentioned in her post(SR2k), is the monthly housing allowance. It's not her salary.

Strange that she knows her allowance but not her salary - off to a good start then!

Just a thought, are there any native English speakers on this network?

thehudd wrote:

Just a thought, are there any native English speakers on this network?

Sure, plenty of us.  Check it out: https://www.expat.com/en/network/middle … di-arabia/

And welcome to EB, thehudd :)

I'm here! Been so for 4 years (In Jeddah that is). Not part of the compound community, sigh....., so pretty much up to my own design and wits. I just work and take my holidays to the extreme. Come back refreshed and begin the cycle all over again. Such is life!

well not pretty sure abt the salary , but its possible to get the
appartment or the room in a family building..
do u want to move here ?

[Moderated: Use your pm pls]

Hello,

I have been offered a monthly salary of 11,950 with a yearly housing allowance of 17,000. I am used to always getting low offers and haggling for more. Is this the custom in Jeddah?

I do not like to be rude but I also know that offer are low to see who will bite.
To add i possess BS, MA in ESL education, 6 verified years experience, plus two recognised TEFL certs. 

Also how is finding nice one bedrooms in comfortable area? I am not interested in living in low income areas. For comfort and ease in adapting to the culture I would like to live in modern area to practice language but be looked at treated as just another stupid foreigner.

PS anyone who live there holla at me about you life and what you do.

Thank you so much

Jay " bird" Taylor

What happened to your housing situation? Were you able to find anything at that rate?