Residence and Employment

Good Salutations!

For someone looking for permanent employment and residence in Mauritius what is the GENERAL PROCEDURE to take on?

First, whether to become a residence and then apply for employment, or apply for jobs first and then become a residence (this would be an International move)?

And is it requried that you speak both French and English (verbal and written), or either one of the languages (verbal and written) would be fine for work?

Thanks for a reply :)

Hello Maur1.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

In meantime, you can take a look to the other threads on the Mauritius forum, it can help.

I hope other members will soon give you some responses.

Thank you,
Aurélie

If you are Mauritian as you say then why are you asking for information about residency?

daisymay2 wrote:

If you are Mauritian as you say then why are you asking for information about residency?

Because there is a famous section 15 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act for resumption of the Mauritian citizenship, if one has a dual nationality, depending on one's d.o.b.
We don't know when the original poster was born and when she moved to Canada where i presume she has become a citizen .
In any case she would have to have the National ID card to get employment as a 'local" w/o going through the hoops for work permit .

She moved to Canada in 1988?
I can get employment with my residents permit - you dont need an ID card?

daisymay2 wrote:

I don't know that answer
There is a difference between you living on a resident 's permit and someone having to prove that he or she is born in Mauritius and , de facto, a "local" or native, hence the ID card !

External, Maureen says in her profile that she moved to Cananda in January 1988? Perhaps Maureen herself might be able to give us more information so people can begin to help her with her query?
Daisymay

daisymay2 wrote:

daisymay2 none of your replys have helped me, stop posting to this topic. I am only interested in people who an help.

External, is there a difference in pay between someone on a resident permit, and someone who is working as a local?

Maureen you arent giving much information so people can help you.
I have just been through the whole performance of getting residency which was widely discussed on this forum.
The people on here were helpful but you need to give more information as to your circumstances not just ask vague questions.

Hi Maur1,

First, whether to become a residence and then apply for employment, or apply for jobs first and then become a residence (this would be an International move)?

if you are a foreigner, you'll have to find a job first, then apply for an occupation or a work permit. Of course you won't be able to start working before obtaining a permit.

And is it requried that you speak both French and English (verbal and written), or either one of the languages (verbal and written) would be fine for work?

Either of these languages in fine

just one thing, you write you're in Canada, but your IP shows Mauritius ?

Julien wrote:

Must be one of the "diaspora émigrés" on the island for Summer (Northern Hemisphere) vacations and  wanting to know how to go about getting an "expat job"   :dumbom:

Maur1 wrote:
daisymay2 wrote:

daisymay2 none of your replys have helped me, stop posting to this topic. I am only interested in people who an help.

External, is there a difference in pay between someone on a resident permit, and someone who is working as a local?

Since you can speak Kréol and looks like you are on the island , some trips to  the govt offices in Port-Louis might be helpful and informative.

Julien wrote:

Yes, that's right I am here.

External wrote:
Julien wrote:

Must be one of the "diaspora émigrés" on the island for Summer (Northern Hemisphere) vacations and  wanting to know how to go about getting an "expat job"   :dumbom:

Everyone one here are quote: "diaspora émigrés". You didn't now that....

Stop posting to this topic as well, as your information is not helfpul.

Maur1 wrote:

Everyone one here are quote: "diaspora émigrés". You didn't now that....

Stop posting to this topic as well, as your information is not helfpul.

10-4 Major General - will follow the orders of the newbie of the forum  :gloria

LOL! :D
Thats you and me and Julien told then!

Thanks!!

Check www.gov.mu there is a section for permanent residence.
And if you are an investor then you have many optuons.
Hope it helps.

Thanks!:)