EP Application - Jop Hopping

Hi everyone,

Really grateful to find this such supportive community.

I just graduated from NTU this June, under MOE Tuition Grant. I started my job search early this year and so desperate to have a job to "pay" back my tuition grant. I accepted a job offer which I'm not so passionate about but thought that the company is decent enough. I started my job end of June 2022.

Things turned out to be quite bad when I started, my team turned out to be so toxic and unsupportive, lots of gossip, untrue stories, destructive feedback, unprofessional behaviors. My mental health has been affected severely just after 3 weeks, I cried everyday. I tried so hard but the feedback received was only negative and the manager said that I would not pass my probation.

In August, I got contacted by someone from the industry that I'm truly passionate about, interviewed and got a job offer. I accepted it (although the monthly salary is $100 less that what I was earning) and without new EP got approved, I resigned from the current company (since I can't bear it any longer). 

I really want this job + I also need to work in SG to "pay" my tuition grant. I am very scared that the EP get rejected since I change job too fast (new EP submitted 2.5 months from my first EP got issued). May I ask if anyone have any clue that MOM will reject EP application for early job hopping and lower salary compared to previous one? In case of rejection, is it possible to justify my bad experience with MOM?

Thank you so much!

Have a nice weekend ahead.

Congratulations to your job change - certainly peace of mind is worth more than S$100/month.

A one-time job change is not seen as job-hopping, but try to stay in this new job for several years!

@beppi Thanks so much for your response. May I ask whether the slight decrease in salary affected my EP application? Given that my work experience is 3 months.

With only three months of work experience, you are unlikely to get an EP.

@beppi I'm currently holding an EP with the previous company with 0 experience (since MOM exercises "flexibility" in EP assessment for tuition grant recipients like me). Just worried that with a slight decrease in salary + short tenure at the previous company, the application might get rejected :( Any thoughts? Thank you so much!

@bobamilktea Wait and see - is all I can say!

@beppi Thanks for your help so far. Will update

Hi! So lucky - my EP got approved, less than a week! :)

Hello bobamilktea,

Thanks for the little update and congratulations to you 1f60e.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@bobamilktea Good work! It's never a situation because MOM also knows the toxic culture in singapore based companies.

@bobamilktea Hi. My son was in an almost similar predicament back in October 2021. He also left his job after just 1 month. He recently secured another job and his EP was approved without any issues. All the best to you and hope you get your good news from MOM soon.

@bobamilktea Hi. My son went through a similar predicament back in 2021. He left his job just after one month. He recently found a better job and his EP was approved without any issues. Hope you get your good news from MOM soon. Cheers!

Thanks so much for the kind words guys ;)

@bobamilktea may I know what's the position and industry you applied for? I might have the same problem thank you.