Marriage in Singapore

Singapore's history
Updated 2017-09-15 13:40

Getting married in a country other than your own is often a complicated and overly bureaucratic process. But in the land of efficiency, things might be much simpler than you think. Indeed, Singapore sets out clear procedures for foreigners to tie the knot.

Singapore allows both two foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and authorisations required are different based on your immigration status. If you hold a work permit wishing to marry a Singapore citizen or a Permanent Resident, you will require the approval of the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). To apply for approval, you will need to complete the Marriage Application Form, which should then be sent to the Work Pass Division. Both the form and the address to which the application needs to be sent are available online. Nevertheless, if you hold an S Pass or an Employment Pass, or was previously a work permit holder who has acquired Singaporean citizenship or PR status, no approval is required from the MOM.

Wedding administration in Singapore

Once you have ascertained the specific procedures associated with your immigration status, there are two major sources from which you can obtain information; the Register of Marriages (ROM) and the Register of Muslim Marriages (ROMM). A Muslim marriage requires different steps as well as eligibility requirements. For non-Muslim marriages, there are two major steps: filing a notice of marriage and finally carrying out the solemnization ceremony. A notice of marriage needs to be filed online, in which you will provide information about the couple, as well as details on the witnesses. The notice can only be filed online, but the website is well structured and provides all manner of details, including the earliest date for solemnization. During the process, you will be required to pay the relevant fees and will, therefore, require a credit card and passport. In the event you expect to solemnise your marriage outside of the ROM, you will also be required to furnish a consent form from your solemnizer, a list of which is available from the ROM. Once you have completed all the details, you are required by law to carry out the solemnization procedure 21 days after filing your notice but not later than 3 months after the date of filing.

The wedding ceremony

The solemnization process can take place either within the ROM or a remote location. Carrying out the solemnization process outside the ROM offers you the possibility of tailoring the ceremony as per your own taste. There is a wide offering of wedding planners in Singapore, as well as an exciting choice of amazing locations in which you can plan an unforgettable ceremony. Whatever you decide though, do not let the excitement of the day overwhelm you: you are responsible for bringing all the necessary documents for the solemnization! If carried out remotely, the solemnization process can take place on a weekend or on a public holiday, which might be more convenient should you wish to solemnise in front of your loved ones. Note however that it is possible for guests to attend a solemnization ceremony at the ROM, but that only 20 guests are allowed within the premises. Finally, remember that there are dress code requirements for the solemnization process, which include shirt and pants for the groom.

Useful Links:

Advice from the Ministry of Manpower for work permit holders:
Register of Marriages:
Register of Muslim Marriages:

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.