Requirement to drive UAE car to Saudi on business visa

Can I drive my own car from UAE to KSA on business visa? What are the requirements?
Hi David,

Welcome to Expat.Com !

Hopefully members will be able to shed the light on your query.

All the best,
Bhavna
Car in your name or NOC from owner (bank etc) .
Buy third party insurance at the border.

Next time search.  This question has been answered dozens of times.

@XTang

Any idea on what exactly we need to mention on the NOC if the car is not under my own name but I am taking it to Saudi from UAE?

Also, is the NOC sufficient or anything else required if car is not under my own name?

It is done electronically as far as I know. 

https://www.rta.ae/wps/portal/rta/ae/ho … Id=3704439

The link you sent is for a tourism certificate. Is that required for everyone or only if your driving a car that is not under your own name?

Someone told me, of all times, today that for all cars going out of UAE, you need this tourism certificate as well as a carnet de passage. The carnet or trip ticket is needed to apply for the tourism certificate in the first place.

Here is a user's experience of the same:

To obtain this Tourism Certificate from RTA, you need to:

- Visit Automobile Touring club of UAE and apply for Carnet or a trip ticket.

- If you have a car loan, you need to get clearance from your bank. Banks provide clearance only if you deposit the outstanding amount as cash at the bank and you can take it back after the trip by providing a vehicle inspection certificate.

- If you do not have a car loan, just provide copies of: Passport with visa page, Emirates ID, driving license, car registration and a form filled up (available only at the counter there) with info about your car and the countries you want to visit.

- They charge AED 350 for trip to Saudi Arabia and AED 500 as deposit. Total AED 850.00.

- Once this amount is paid, they will issue:

o Carnet De Passages En Douane/ trip ticket for the vehicle. This is like a passport for the car

o Letter to RTA to issue tourism certificate

- RTA had a counter at Automobile Touring club of UAE in Dubai. So gave this letter from the touring club, paid AED 90 and got a tourism certificate instantly.

- Total time for this Carnet and tourism certificate: 1 hour 15 mins.

- They accept only cash. So carry enough cash. Refund on return for AED500 only by cheque.

- Validity of both Carnet and tourism certificate is 6 months.

By the way, another update.   Someone just went to Qatar and posted about his experience.  I asked him specifically about the tourism certificate.  He said that he had heard about it but decided not to do it.   He wasn't asked for anything on the UAE border and just had to show his original car ownership card, purchase insurance for Saudi and he was through.   

So what this indicates is that either the process isn't enforced or that he was lucky.   Just something to bear in mind.

@XTang thanks for the details above. I have also seen different experiences with respect to the tourism certificate. Can you please let me know if you personally used a Dubai registered car and did they specifically ask you for the certificate at the UAE border?

In the past, yes and no certificate asked for (like a year ago). Recently, no, I haven't. The guy I am referencing above just came back from Qatar yesterday so he's the most recent update.

@XTang Hello, i was reading your post about Tourism certificate. I am going to Qatar by road to watch FIFA WC. I have a car but the registration is under company name. I can ask an NOC from my company owner in company letter head. Is this enough or i have to apply for tourism certificate? Kindly help by replying.Thank you

Per process, irrespective of anything, you would need a tourism certificate.  You can try to cross without it and that would be up to your luck.

@shanavasbabu How did you go, have you took the certificate before you go or not.

@XTang - Do we need to buy Saudi insurance before reaching UAE border or it can be done at the border itself. pls guide.

i have got Carnet & tourism certificate too.

Border itself.

Hi,

Does anyone have the Idea if visa issue from Abu Dhabi? RTA is only for Dubai residents.

I want to know the process for Abu Dhabi resident

Taking the car from the UAE to KSA.

I heard that having only Saudi Iqama needs the car to be exported from the UAE to KSA and then it needs to be registered in KSA with KSA plate.

However, If someone has both the UAE Golden Visa and KSA Iqama, can they take their car from UAE to KSA and drive with UAE plate?

If yes, what's the process to do so? What about the car insurance in KSA?

Explained it before. You can drive the car but your policy back in the UAE needs to cover the car in Saudi. This is done via the GCC cover add-on. But be very careful as a lot of companies only allow you coverage up to 90 days outside UAE.  You have to ask for a special year long cover. This is for own damage.  For Saudi itself, you can buy a 1 year policy for 3rd party coverage at the border and then get a new one on every exit / entry.

The car itself is considered as a foreign car and as such, must be exited once every 3 months otherwise Saudi customs can fine you an x amount per day - they put this announcement in Saudi gazette. In another thread, I pasted the link to this so use search.

I have been driving my Bahrain car in Saudi for the last 8 years.  But I exit the car every week as I go back to Bahrain on the weekend.  I have a yearly 3rd party policy and got a special cover through my insurance provider covering me for a full year for own damage in the Saudi.

I am resident of both UAE (Golden Visa) and Qatar (QID). I am taking my car (Abu Dhabi) registered to Qater for 2.5months. I can get the car insurance sorted. BUT my question is that the car Mulkiya is in my Wife's name and she is not traveling with me. What sort of NOC do I need to obtain for crossing the border for both Saudi and Qatar and back

@XTang

Hi,

I took my uae car on a road trip to saudi more than 6 months ago and I flew out of saudi leaving my car there after the 10 day trip. Now i want to bring my car back to uae. I have a few questions:

1. Am i liable to pay any fines since the car was just sitting there for more than 6 months? If yes how do i pay the fine?

2. Can i just drive to the border or do i need to renew insurance or something?

3. Will there be any other issues at the border?

There is absolutely nothing I could find on the Internet for this.

As I explained before, according to the traffic law in Saudi, a foreign car that stays beyond 3 months without exit is liable for a fine of 20 SAR per day.   In practice, sometimes it is charged and sometimes not.  Although now they may have tightened it up which means you will have to pay.   You need to drive to the border and pay whatever is due.

I'm new to this forum so apologies if I may ask something which has already been discussed.

I have valid QID and qatari driving license, I have the Iqama and also italian driving license.

I'm living in KSA and my car is in Qatar but I would like to use it here.

I understood that it can be possible to import car with no more than 5 years, am I correct?

If yes, car can not be imported.

I understood that it seems to be possible to use my car here for a max period of 3 months, but I need to exit from Saudi before 3 months and then come back? is it correct?

If yes, I have to check with the insurance on how to extend the coverage outside Qatar, is it right?

Correct

Just last thing, I heard that as soon as you can find an insurance which will cover you for a year, you must return your car (because of renewal of the istmara) once a year.

Of course you have to come back to Qatar before 6 months otherwise the QID will expired.

So, if you are travelling twice per year it should be done, right?

I cannot comment about Qatar processes of car renewal.   For Bahrain, if your car doesn't require inspection, you can renew online without needing to take the car there.  Also Bahrain visa doesn't expire either if you are outside for more than 6 months.

@XTang  many thanks...

@XTang what are the car requirements to enter KSA from UAE? Is there any minimum engine capacity requirements or something else?

As a visitor, none.