How to register a Marriage in Saudi Arabia

Updated 2012-03-26 07:37

Important Note:

If the groom and bride are from 2 different countries, they must consult their respective embassies before following the procedures described below.

How to register Nikah in Saudi Arabia (for Muslims only):

1- Go to the marriage court (It's in North of Riyadh behind Saudi Airlines office) and it's called 'Mehkama Tankeeh'.

2. Go to the reception and ask for the appointment (say next day).

3. At the appointment time, be there with the girl with her Wali and 2 other witnesses. The Wali is usually father (if alive) and 2 witness persons must be relatives of the girl or someone who know girl very well. (No one required from boy's family except he himself). All persons must take their original Iqamas + copies along.

4. Let reception know about your presence. They'll present you in front of the Qazi who'll ask a couple of questions (mainly about the Mehr etc). Make sure this Mehr thing has already been decided between the parties.

5. All 5 persons will sign the papers and you are done.

6. Before leaving the place, make sure you've got the paper (Nikah certificate) stamped by 2 required manegerial authorities there. The receptionist can help you best.

7. Take the Nikah nama to Minsitry of foreigh affairs (Naseriya) and get it stamped.

8. Go for the iqama transfer process.

What is the process to stamp the marriage certificate from ministry of foreign affairs (MOFA)?

Please visit MOFA. There is small gate on back side of MOFA which is the only one you'll see public going in and out. The big ones are for goverment officials only.

Just go there (along with Iqamas of both of you) and tell the reception that you need attestation (tasdeeq) on the marriage certificate. He'll issue you a token holding a number.

Take that to the cashiers' windows and wait for your turn.

The guy there will just stamp the certificate charging you 40 SAR.

All what I told above is NECESSARY before you (or your mandoob) visits jawazat for iqama transfer into your name.

By the way, to transfer iqama in your name, you'll need:

- The Marriage certificate (original) as discussed above.
- A letter from girl's father showing consent on transfer.
- 2000 SAR in your iqama account.

Enough if your mandoob is going to do this task in Jawazat.
Advice: If you want to do it yourself, take your father-in-law along.

For Non-Muslims:

Please visit your respective embassies.

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.