Passed the job interview but cannot apply for EP due to Covid-19

Hi,

I joined an interview with a company in Singapore. Everything went well.
After two weeks, I didn't get any response so I contact HR to ask about interview result.
HR said the hiring manager selected me and now she's waiting for approval process from director and will send an official offer to me.

Then, there is an announcement from MOM that the employment pass has been suspended.
I contacted HR again to ask about this issue. HR said I cannot apply for employment pass due to the new policy and don't know when MOM will reopen the application. She said I need to wait and I should consider other offers if I have.

I'm very confused about this. Should I gave up for this position? I prepared a lot for this interview and took 3 rounds of interviews. Does HR select other candidates who stay in Singapore and withdraw my application? Hiring manager was very nice with me but he said this position is urgent.

Please help to advise me what I should do to get this job?

P.S. I'm in Japan

Hi Mike,

How many years of experience do you have and is the job related to the Software industry?

rey619 wrote:

Hi Mike,

How many years of experience do you have and is the job related to the Software industry?

Hi. Thanks for your responses.
It's not Software industry. The job is in R&D function. I‘ve just graduated Ph.D with 3 year experience in R&D institute during my study. My background quite fits with that job but I stay in japan where is classified as high risk countries.  :sosad:

That is the issue bro, currently, Singapore is in no favour of getting expats from high or even moderate risk countries, plus the recent rise in community cases will make it even more worse, but stay positive, things will change, wish u luck.

The HR person you talked to is right: They currently cannot even apply for your work pass - and without one you cannot start work. Since nobody knows when the restriction will be lifted, you can only decide for yourself whether you want to wait until then or accept another job offer elsewhere.
You could also ask the employer how long they are willing to wait and keep the job for you.

Just to be practical, you may interview but every employer will eventually tell u the same thing, they can't get you a pass. This is temporary, SG Govt had to take this bold decision to help stop the spread of Covid, cases are spiking each day now. High risk countries have increased undetected/ asymptomatic cases, if borders open up, the risk of spreading it are high. Stay safe, wait for things to settle down, jobs will come up, apply when things are better and you can move to SG with no such risks conditionally attached to you.

Thanks for your response.
I'm able to wait for this position, but not sure whether the employer can wait for it or not.

Mike tsuda wrote:

Thanks for your response.
I'm able to wait for this position, but not sure whether the employer can wait for it or not.

Understand, the only way you get that answer is by speaking with the employer. Have a candid chat to see if they keen to have you onboard. End of the day, it's your competence versus every other candidate.