SPass Renewal Rejected due to No Quota

Hi, I have been browsing this forum but I haven't seen anything similar to my situation (pls correct me if I'm wrong).
My SPass already expired last Aug. 26, 2020
My employer applied for renewal before expiry which is on Aug. 04, 2020 but it got rejected on Aug. 25, 2020.
The reason was because of insufficient quota. But my employer is 100% sure that they still have quota. Even some of my co-employees' SPass that were applied after me got approved already. They called MOM. And MOM said that it was due to a system error and advised us to submit an appeal and that they will speed-up the process of the appeal.
So we submitted appeal on Aug. 26
My questions are, can this thing really happen? Can MOM really have such discrepancy in their quota-checking? And can MOM really expedite an appeal? Thanks in advance!

The answer to both your questions is Yes.
Errors do happen wherever humans act, so MoM is not immune.
And of course MoM can control how fast MoM works.
(Actually: Why did you ask this? Do you have any indication that MoM tells you the untruth here?)

Hi beppi! I asked these things because of paranoia and because I didn't hear it from MOM itself, my employer is the one who coordinates w/MOM and they just pass me the updates. I'm worried if my employer is sugar-coating the situation.

And I am really wondering if this thing ever happened before, do you know of any similar story?
Because my renewal application took 3 weeks before it got rejected. My thought process is, “MOM must have done a very thorough check w/in that 3 weeks, could it be that my employer just overlooked the quota balance?”
Maybe I'm looking at MOM's process as fool proof given their stringent approval process. That's why I want to know any same story as mine, for my peace of mind. :( Thanks!

We, strangers on an Internet forum, cannot tell whether your company is fooling you. But MoM for sure does not do such things!

Hi Beppi! But have you heard of any similar story?

Everything is possible including system error. In this case, if MoM system was not updated about your employer's quota (though it's very unlikely) then it may give wrong information which could be the situation why it got rejected (if the reason of your pass renewal rejection was due to not enough S pass quota).

I have shared a separate post about how Govt has taken stringent process for renewal or new pass approvals. So, now a days, getting renewal or new pass approval is not as easy as earlier due to economic downturn.

Thanks surya2k. They said that they updated their system, hence the error on quota count. My STVP will expire on Sept. 25, that's why so worried now. My employer would try to extend my STVP if, by Sept 18, the appeal is still pending. Do you think that an STVP extension approves easily if it is raised by an employer?
And if appeal got rejected, can my employer still extend my STVP? Thanks!

I still have high hopes on this renewal because of the “system error”, but I also started to look for jobs.

If it's true that your pass renewal got rejected due to system error then chances are very likely that the result of your appeal  will come before your work pass expires.  MoM does know when is your work pass going to expire.

It's a good practice that employer should go for work pass renewal 2 months prior to its expiry. In your case it was not followed so your employer is in rush now.

STVP can be requested for and yes, employer can provide the entire issues to ICA and chances are likely they may consider. But, under STVP, you are not eligible to continue your work. Good luck

Can they request for temporary extension of my Spass as well? While appeal is ongoing?

klimrona wrote:

Can they request for temporary extension of my Spass as well? While appeal is ongoing?

Unlikely,as you can only have one ongoing application (or extension) at any one time.

Hi! My SPass renewal appeal got approved already!  Just thought of sharing my timeline in case someone needs it in the future:

August 04 - SPass Renewal applied
August 25 - REJECTED due to insufficient quota
August 26 - Employer submitted an appeal. They didn't do any correction as it was a system error according to MOM, so they just submitted an appeal
September 14 - APPROVED!

Miracles do happen! I'm so happy right now!

Good to hear. As it was informed earlier that the result of your pass renewal application appeal should come before the pass expiry. So, it was in line with our expectation. Congrats!