Permanent Residence Approval Chances

Hi,
I wanted to apply PR, I want to ask my chances of approval, if you guys don't mind, based on your experience in this forum.

Race: Indian
Marital Status: Married
Education: Engineering Graduate from India
Job: Senior Software Engineer
Length of stay in Singapore: almost 3 years (worked in the same company till now)
Income Tax Assessment : 3 Submitted
Total Job Experience: 9 Years
Salary:100k+
Pass: EP

applying with
- my wife in EP (72k+), Engineering Graduate and been here for 2 years (working for the same company and submitted 2 tax assessment)
- my son - 4-year-old

Wait until the current virus crisis is over - there is too much uncertainty now!

But in normal scenario, what are chances for my approval

You are well educated, married with son (who then has to serve the Singapore military!) and are applying as a family - all plusses for becoming PR.
The only minus I can see is that you are not of the preferred race (Chinese).

After this uncertainty, you will get PR as per your detail.

Eligibility Criteria for Singapore PR
Under the PTS Scheme and GIP Scheme, the following categories of foreigners can apply for permanent residence in Singapore:

spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore citizen or PR
aged parents of a citizen
employment pass and S pass holders (includes personalized employment pass and entrepreneur pass)
investors or entrepreneurs meeting eligibility criteria under GIP

tough luck based on nationality but no harm trying. And dont waste your time with agencies because there is nothing different they can do. ICA is quite straight forward on the entire process, no loopholes whatsoever.'What they ask on their website/ online application is all that is needed.

Hi all, this is Belle.

If anyone of you is interested in this topic, I would like to invite you to a free upcoming webinar.

It will cover different topics regarding processes on PR / Citizenship application, as well as providing tips and advice in choosing the right things to do when applying for Singapore PR / Citizenship.

"Is this the first time that you are applying for Singapore PR and/or Citizenship? Or you have applied many times before and have received numerous rejections? What can I do to improve my odds?"

These and other questions are typically covered.
Sharing session will be conducted by Immigration experts

You may register in the link below:
https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/registe … EcjFbgNXaw

Let me know if you are registering! :)

cant see the link but I'd like to register

@rajspy7001 I have a similar profile. Can I ask if you got your PR

@BrianSundaram The user you are referring to, rajspy7001, has not been active on this forum for three years. So you may not get a reply. But you are welcome to start a new thread (or post) with your questions for all of us!

Hi All,

Reaching out to you to seek some guidance. Would be thankful if some of you can reply.

Today 12.02.2024 - I got my PR rejection for the 9th time.

My background: IT/Banking professional working in Singapore since last 13 yrs. Current Age 44. Wife on DP. 1 male child 14 yrs old studying in private school in Singapore in. My Sibling (real elder brother) is Singapore Citizen. I am with a bank here and annual income decent. Race: Indian. Education : MBA in Finance.

I have never tried to apply via any PR agency and all application by myself. So far its been 12 yrs I am continuously applying PR. All my applications so far is including family (wife and Son).

All my Indian origin colleagues/Friends/neighbours who started their SG journey along with me have got the PR except me. Inspite of having all the factors which qualify me and my family to get the PR, ICA time and again rejecting it since last 12 years. I am not able to draw a pattern or connect the dots what is the reason behind it.

Regards,

Sometime this kind of situation is disheartening but each application is unique and cant be compared.

There could be more than one factor like keeping  savings in Singapore local account, volunteer work in society, apply PR only after some material changes in in job position and salary etc.

Dont apply through any agent as its waste of money. Here quota plays a significant role and Indian continent has around 5.5% and tamil population has higher possibilities than other languages. So all these matters.

I know in last 2yrs, many professionals from Indian origin left Singapore and moved to UK, Canada,  Australia and other European countries because of better career prospect and not getting PR here. So, 9 times is bit longer time to try but if you think this is the only country to settle then keep trying otherwise you may open to your plan B like many Indian professionals did in recent times. Good luck

@tejaschitaliya how long youve waited for your pr result?

@candyhie14 This time it is 4.5 months. I applied in Oct 2023.

Do you think the longer the time they took the approval chances are better?

@surya2k

Hi Surya,

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am not looking for other country as an option.

However as you observed, I am also surprised has any one attempted to apply as high as mine i.e. 9 times?

Since a lot of profile like mine got approvals in past 2-3years it is difficult for me to understand and draw any inference or conclusion about the reason for rejection in my case.

completly clueless in terms of how long I should keep on trying. its been 12 yrs I am trying constantly.

Difficult to say exactly where your application lacks as I dont know your details but as i mentioned about few points which you need to make sure those boxes are ticked in your case (I.e.  fulfilling those points). Good luck

@tejaschitaliya Although I admire your diligence in applying again and again, I must say that after 9 rejections in 12 years it looks a bit pointless.

Every rejection has a (at least one) reason - and applying again only makes sense if that reason is removed.

If you want to apply again, please consider the following:

For new residents, timeliving/working in Singapore might have been a reason, so for them applying again in a year or two makes sense. But for you, after 12 years here, it no longer does.

So, before applying again, wait for other relevant changes - maybe a better job, significantly higher pay, your wife entering the workforce, you having more kids, etc. And in addition, wait at least a year after a rejection before you try again!

Also realize that continuing to live here on your current visas might be a more realistic alternative - without much disadvantage. That your work pass was renewed for 12 yers now shows that the risk of losing it is low.

@beppi

1) Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2) My primary motivation to continue pursuing PR is because I wanted to create level playing field for my Son (who is in std 10th now)

3) He is a bright student however inspite of him getting great grades the quota for foreigners in good local universities such as NUS or NTU are approx 10% where by he will be judged and filtered out and will be denied the admission based on his visa status rather than his ability and skill set

4) PR may give me and my family much needed stability and a sense of direction. Inspite of us after 12 yrs here, up on loosing EP we are as fragile as 1 month.

5) So far the stay in SG for me and my family is full of growth (minus the stabilty)

6) In last 12 yrs I lost so many genuine opportunity (inspite of matching skill set). The door for opportunity has been shut due to my Visa status as foreigner on EP rather than some one evaluating my skill set first and then reject.

7) Aspiring to stay in SG for long in real terms, would not be possible if we are not a part of main stream society here.

Regards,

Tejas

@tejaschitaliya I can understand your reasoning.

However, these are all points that YOU want, because you benefit from them.

But the authorities have a very different viewpoint:

How does Singapore, as a country, society and economy, benefit from you becoming PR?

Apparently, you are lacking there - and they have decided the disadvantage from having you here as PR outweighs the obvious Plus of your son doing NS (i.e. "cannon fodder" for the army).

@beppi I do appreciate and acknowledged your views and pointers which I believe is based on deep understanding of how ICA works and thinks, no doubt about it. However some how I fail to accept the fact that it is an end game for me and my family here. As a candidate I only have one option to keep on applying till I am here in SG and gainfully employed. And that is what I have decided long back to do so and following the same. Having known my background and profile now if you have any pointers where I can work up to brighten my chances of securing the PR in future applications then please do so, I would be highly obliged.

@tejaschitaliya Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and have the right to apply again and again.

But MoM also has the right to reject, again and again, and they have already done so nine times - which I personally would consider a strong indication that this will continue with any further application - unless things change considerably. That's why I recommended to pause your applications and work on strengthening your profile first.

Now you asked how to do this? Well, you can read, on this forum and elsewhere, what Singapore is looking for. My short (and incomplete) list:

• You must fit into Singapore's racial mix (i.e. Chinese background preferred - difficult to change, but in theory you could marry a Chinese wife).
  • You must have rare skills and experiences, that Singapore benefits from (i.e.world-known scientists, artists or athletes preferred, but certain niche banking or IT professionals also o.k.).
  • You must have shown commitment towards Singapore's society (i.e. charity volunteers and similarly engaged people preferred - did you ever donate blood or offer activities at a community center?).
  • You must plan to stay here long-term. (No idea how they assess this, but I guess people who send all their money back to their homeland are less wanted than those who bought property here.)
  • You must apply together with your family - and having children (preferably male, due to NS) is an advantage. (Since you already have one son, maybe try for a second?)
  • In addition to all that, you of course must be financially independent, free of criminal convictions and have no history of drugs or opposition political views.

And I guess (but don't know for sure) that people who seem to apply only for their own benefit are also disliked - because the Singapore authorities must value Singapore's benefits over your own.

In any case, you are playing in their court and with their ball, so you better accept their rules. They have told you, again and again, that you can continue living and working here on work passes (which many foreigners do for much longer than you). The alternative is looking for better conditions elsewhere - if you can find them!