Expat interest in politics in Morocco

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Morocco is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country?

Can expats vote during elections which take place in their country of origin? Can you do so online or through embassies/consulates in Morocco?

What is the administrative process which has been set up in Morocco to enable expats to vote in their country of origin?

To which extent should political life in Morocco include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Morocco?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Bhavna wrote:

Hello everyone,

As an expat, your day-to-day life in Morocco is impacted by decision-making at the political level in your host country as well as in your country of origin. We would like to know how involved you think expats should be in the political day-to-day of either their host or home country.

To which extent should political life in Morocco include expats and their concerns? Should they be more active as a community to make their voices heard?

Are there any precautionary measures to observe during election period in your host country? Any local prohibitions?

Do you keep up with politics in Morocco?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bhavna

Part of this topic is irresponsible, dangerous and short-sighted.

As an expat we are not supposed to get involved in the politics of our host country. We are guests in this country.

We pay our Property Tax and Community Tax because we benefits from the services provided by the local Government and Municipality, but we are forever guests. Not Citizens, and not Immigrant.

The day when citizens of more developed countries could move to less develop countries and start pontificating is over. A foreign citizen getting involved in local politics is exactly that: Pontificating and patronising.

* Expatriate: Someone who lives outside of their native country; Or a person who lives in a foreign country (Merriam-Webster Definition)
* Immigrant: Someone who comes to live permanently in another country with the intention to seek Citizenship from the host country

Once an expat decided to take the path of citizenship - like an immigrant - it's a totally different story.

OR

If one is a multinational corporation providing good employment - not just mere exploitative jobs - to thousand of citizens of the host country, then one should possibly be allowed to get involved in the local politics. 

As a U.S. citizen from New York, I have met hundreds of expats in Manhattan; British, Canadian, French, Belgian, Swiss, Brazilian, Argentinian, etc. you name it. None of them are eligible to vote or can directly involved in politics, either in the State or Federal level. And they should not, because they are not citizen of the U.S.A. So why suddenly when we live abroad we think we should be able to get involved in the local politics? That is a self-entitlement of epic proportion, typical of a colonist's attitude.

An Immigrant with a Residency Card - on the path to Citizenship - has more right to get involved in local politics than an expat on any given day.

I never get involved in my host countries politics. I respect their sovereignty. I am involved in my US politics as far as voting and voicing opinions when requested. I have been to political meetings here but only regarding the US.

Cathylesher wrote:

I never get involved in my host countries politics. I respect their sovereignty. I am involved in my US politics as far as voting and voicing opinions when requested. I have been to political meetings here but only regarding the US.

Truly the right approach, indeed.
Respect & Salut!

Right on

Totally agree

Thanks for the info, do yo live in Morocco?

Abe, I have to disagree with your statement that "As an expat we are not supposed to get involved in the politics of our host country." Who said so? You?

Also your reply to Bhavna was rude--if you aren't "supposed" to get involved in local politics, maybe you should try being politically correct, and kind.

Abe123 et al., as I wrote above, I disagree with your statement that "As an expat we are not supposed to get involved in the politics of our host country." Certainly we can't vote or hold a public office, but that doesn't mean that we cannot be involved in political issues.

For example, while living and working in Thailand, I took my university students to the Wildlife Friends Foundation of Thailand (WFFT), where we met with the founder and managers of the refuge, and promoted WFFT and issues of animal cruelty to the citizens and government of Thailand.

There is no law that says expats cannot "get involved." Do you think Peace Corps volunteers work to improve the living conditions of people in countries around the world without getting involved the politics of the country?

NB: According to the Morocco Forum Code of Conduct @ expat.com, “The Expat.com forum is dedicated to expat related matters. Topics related to politics or religion won't be accepted.”

Thus Bhavna's post was a violation of the Morocco Forum Code of Conduct. Bhavna, I'm curious why you asked this question. Are you doing some kind of research for a university or professional project?

Also, Abe123, your response to Bhavna that her post was “irresponsible, dangerous and short-sighted.” also violated expat.com's Moroccan Code of Conduct, which states that "it is not acceptable to criticize or abuse another member in any way."

Let's play by the rules shall we? (Yes, I've just violated the Code of Conduct in this post by discusing politics, but won't violate the rules again.)

Eric