Second wife Morocco

I'd like to enquire what the laws about a man marrying a second wife in Morocco are?

I've met a man in my country of residence, he spends half the year working here and the other half with his wife and children in Morocco, he would like to make me his second wife hence my question?

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : inappropriate
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thanks for your response
But if you're not muslim
It's best you don't comment 🙂

It is shariah law that a man may have 4 wives
Polygamy yes

No one is out here claiming to be religious 😉

You are right, I probably should not comment especially as I am an education woman with lots of self respect and high standards who would never settle for another woman's left overs.

Good luck  :top: !

I am Muslim. I will chime in. First his first wife has to know and agree to it. Secondly he has to support them both equally. That is my two cents. This is not the normal way in Morocco, now. If he follows the Quran he knows what is right.

Thanks for your response

Subhanallah...The question pertains to Moroccan law, not Sharia. Of course we know, in Islam there is no condition of "permission" from a wife for the man to marry additional wives (up to 4) within his abilities to be fair between them.

As i understand it, this issue is rather fluid under Moroccan law. There may be the issue of permission from the other wife or wives. At one time this was an issue of debate. It may be more or less enforceable by region. I would consult with an attorney in the area you are considering relocating to...

Jazak-allahu khair for your response
Exactly what I was asking about

Wyeeyakum ukti.

urbanshopping101 wrote:

You are right, I probably should not comment especially as I am an education woman with lots of self respect and high standards who would never settle for another woman's left overs.

Not that educated, but it is insulting.

You totally fail to see how other cultures view polygamy, and have made statements deriding the practice without considering the thoughts or cultural norms of others.
You went on (in another thread) to insult ladies who are in such relationships, stating they were basically stupid and there for sex because the first wife is frigid.

Perhaps it's better not to insult people you don't know. :)

PrincessR wrote:

I'd like to enquire what the laws about a man marrying a second wife in Morocco are?

I've met a man in my country of residence, he spends half the year working here and the other half with his wife and children in Morocco, he would like to make me his second wife hence my question?

My understanding of Morocco's law and custom means polygamy is legal, but newer laws make it hard work to engage in such a marriage. The man also has to follow the rules laid down on Al Qur'an, both sets of rules meaning the man has obligations to meet.

However, your own country's laws will also come into play here as any marriage you enter will have to meet your local requirements if you intend to stay in that country. That might well include a certificate of no impediment to marry, and that's likely to be difficult.

Fred, i try to avoid going back & forth with "educated" folks. Often the educated process is confused with the mis-educated process. The latter usually manifests itself in narrow mindedness, arrogance & condemnation of the values of others. One misconception about polygamy is the thinking that ut is so men can have many wives for our sexual gratification. When it is closer to the truth that it is so every woman can have a husband to be protected & cared for...

I agree with urbanshopping . ***

Even though it kinda hard in morocco as it states clear in family code that man cant married the second wife without the approval of the first one

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment

I'm not a fan of polygamy but it might well suit some people. As it hurts nobody, if all involved are happy, no need to get concerned.
The OP asked for advice, not being told she's stupid.

Hello everyone,

Just to inform you that some posts were removed from this thread.

I would like to make a request to remain civil while discussing this subject.

There should not be any need to be insulting towards each other.

This is a reminder that our platform is one of mutual help.

Thank you,

Diksha
Team Expat.com

I am Indian citizen residing in Saudi Arabia since 3 and half years.
i have a question about Polygamy marriage in Morocco.
Following This question.
1.Polygamy Marriage is legal for Foreigner in Morocco ?
2.I am married in India my first wife from India.
3.I am Planning to Second marriage in Morocco
4.I want to Know Polygamy it is legal in Morocco ?
5.I have two house and one Shop in India mean financially well so i am eligible for second marriage ?
6.What is the procedure for Court marriage in Morocco and what documents are required and how much lengthy Process ?
7.I am Indian Citizen but residing in Saudi Arabia, i am working as a Designer ?
8.If Succeed marriage can she stay with me in Saudi Arabia ?

According to Morrocan law for second marriage permission  from first wife Is necessary. 
And Moroccan woman not idiots who will easy give it.

Yasinlohar wrote:

I am Indian citizen residing in Saudi Arabia since 3 and half years.
i have a question about Polygamy marriage in Morocco.
Following This question.
1.Polygamy Marriage is legal for Foreigner in Morocco ?
2.I am married in India my first wife from India.
3.I am Planning to Second marriage in Morocco
4.I want to Know Polygamy it is legal in Morocco ?
5.I have two house and one Shop in India mean financially well so i am eligible for second marriage ?
6.What is the procedure for Court marriage in Morocco and what documents are required and how much lengthy Process ?
7.I am Indian Citizen but residing in Saudi Arabia, i am working as a Designer ?
8.If Succeed marriage can she stay with me in Saudi Arabia ?

From what I understand is if it's illegal in India to have more than one wife then Moroccan law won't allow you to break the laws of your country

My advice look after your first wife and not create a complex situation with multiple wives in different countries