Spass rejected. Could it be because of this strange reason?

Hello everyone,

Hello Surya and Beppi. Thanks for all the insightful answers that both of you have provided.

Straight to the point, i just find out today that my spass application is rejected. I am Indonesian Chinesse, a fresh graduate from SIM UOL with 0 experience in the relevant industry. My employer offered me salary of $2650/month and my spass application actually lasted 2 weeks sharp before it gets rejected.

As for my background, I've been in Singapore for total 5 years 1 month to study 2 diplomas and 1 bachelor degree with honors. My elder brother is Singapore Citizen (yes hes been in Singapore for more than 10 years and he converted his passport to Singapore passport. He is my direct family member).

Long story short, during my interview with my current employer, the HR told me that there is slim chance for indonesian male to get work pass in Singapore compared to female indonesian.

In fact, it is true, i got a female indonesian friend, applying same position as me, with 0 experience in relevant industry, same salary, but she managed to get her s-pass approved.

My questions are:
1. Does MOM now become bias regarding gender and nationality?

2. As for my case, what would be the possible reason my application being rejected? (Im still waiting for my employer to reply my email regarding the reason of rejection). As I've been waiting for 2 weeks sharp since they submitted my application, would the rejection reason possibly because the quota or other reason regarding the employer or is it because of my gender and nationality?

3. If my employer decides to appeal for me, what kind of supporting documents that I should provide to boost my spass application to be approved?

Any kind of input and advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Gender biased is there but that was more visible towards approving PR or citizen where male child gets preferences.

Ask your employer to share the notification mail from after rejection. Most of the time, MoM provides an indication. Any appeal without addressing the issue has no meaning. Hence, act on the reason. Good luck

Hi William!

Fellow Indonesian here! I am also a fresh grad who is facing a similar issue; I just wanna tell you that you are not alone.

A little bit on my background, I have been in Singapore for more than 5 years and my SPass was rejected earlier today. It was submitted on the 27th of Oct. Therefore, it took them 15 working days to reject my SPass application.

I recently graduated from SIM-UOW (Computer Science) with distinction, since my degree program was not an honors' program. I was on the Dean's Lists once. 

Anyway, I was offered a position as a Research Engineer in one of the local research agencies in Singapore. I was offered $3000 as I have zero working experience. I have no criminal record or whatsoever in Singapore nor Indonesia.

I don't have the faintest idea why my SPass got rejected because MOM's online portal mentioned "Rejected", without elucidating further. I have emailed my HR and they are currently considering what should be done next.

Lastly, thank You so much Surya and Beppi for shedding some light on this matter.

I am speculating that it might be due to our lower than industry-standard salary or SPass quota.

Surya, have you ever heard of any other reasons why an SPass is rejected?

MoM considers all applications on each's own merit and small differences can matter. So there is no point comparing yourself with others, which you think are same - MoM's different reactions show that they are not.
I don't think your gender or nationality played a role (although of course I might be wrong here - all this is based in hearsay as MoM does not tell, and their criteria do also change over time). At least you are from the preferred race (Chinese).
Your low salary probably counted - fresh grads are usually expected to get around S$3600 (but there are exceptions).
In general, as a fresh grad, it is difficult to fulfill MoM's main criteria that Singapore as a whole must profit from your presence. If you don't have special niche skills or experience that is needed here, MoM will simply decide that it is better a comparable Singaporean fresh grad gets this job.