Student Student Visa rejected by ICA- Swedish international student

As the headline says, I have today received a rejection letter by the ICA. The application was lodged on my behalf through the private institution that I will study in.

I haven't gotten any reason for my rejection, however, after taking the matters into my own hands and calling ICA from Stockholm I have been told that I should write a letter to ICA and explain why I want to study in Singapore.

Personally, I think it was rejected due to two reasons:

1. My Swedish birth certificate was issued by the national tax agency in English with a signature by an employee. Normally this should suffice but I think ICA rather wants an authentic translation done by an authentic translator even if the English document is issued by the correct government body, they rather would have an authentic translator give their seal of approval.

2. In the application, I also explained all the university costs, as well as my living expenses, would be taken cared of by the Swedish national board of student aid. I even cited my monthly stipend as well as the tuition payment amount.

Maybe in Singapore, this is unheard of and they rejected this too?

Mind you, I nor my parents have never been to Singapore before. So I'm kind of surprised about the rejection. How often are second attempts successful?

My study is 3 years long if I get the student pass and it commences in the 1st of July.

As per ICA suggestion, did you write the reason or positive points about why do you want to study here?

Yes, I did. Although I don't know how big of an effect it has since the private institution was the one that lodged the application for me in the first place. In hindsight maybe the school should have submitted the letter and not me myself.

The letter itself isn't meant to be an appeal, but an inquiry into why I got rejected, so I can get some information before I lodge my appeal. I hope they can answer this as quickly as possible so I can lodge my appeal.

if I don't get a clear answer to why it got rejected, I will just be safe and submit everything I can think of:

1. Send them through my private university: original Swedish decision on government aid for me together with authentic English translation.

2. Birth certificate with authentic English translation  + Notarius public seal on the document.

3. Latest payslip from both me and my father (translated into English by an authentic translator)

Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to strengthen my case?

As you don't know the exact reason of rejection then it's hard to say what went wrong.

Possible reason: 1. Whether Institution is a well recognised educational entity in Singapore or not.
2. All the submitted documents should be matched and accepted with the information provided in the application form.
3. Any additional information required at ICA, e.g. furnishing a letter about your interest to study here.
4. You and your institution should appeal but before ask your institution to reach out ICA, if they can advise what could be the possible reason for rejection. So that during appeal, the reason can be addressed. Good luck

I've also noticed that my translated Swedish birth certificate used a Swedish stamp instead of an English stamp. I strongly feel this was the reason for rejection, the stamp details the job title of the agent that issues the certificate. The job title is unfortunately in Swedish and cannot be understood by the ICA.

Such formal details do not cause rejection in Singapore - only possibly questions and requests for additional documents (that might delay the application process).
Surya is right: They only reject if they decide you should not study here, for one of the reasons he mentioned.

beppi wrote:

Such formal details do not cause rejection in Singapore - only possibly questions and requests for additional documents (that might delay the application process).
Surya is right: They only reject if they decide you should not study here, for one of the reasons he mentioned.

Do you think the reason could be that I finished high school in 2010? And in 2015 I finished the 2-year program studying additional mathematics and science subjects. I did not fail any degree, I just for personal reasons postponed my studies for several years and worked instead.

You are over-analysing things. The real reason might never be known, because the authorities don‘t tell.

Hi Swedish Student

You did not mention whether you have been given an offer of a place with any educational institution in Singapore. Do you have a letter of admission from the institution. If you had did you submit this to ICA.

sureesh40 wrote:

Hi Swedish Student

You did not mention whether you have been given an offer of a place with any educational institution in Singapore. Do you have a letter of admission from the institution. If you had did you submit this to ICA.

The school is responsible for lodging my application, yes I got a letter of offer and I have signed it.

I've sent a letter of appeal almost 2 weeks ago detailing my past education qualifications and work experience with supporting documents. Currently waiting for the decision from the ICA

Hi

May I know the name of the institution that accepted you?
Another issue is did your school provide proof that you are able to support yourself financially and pay all fees while in Singapore?