Being convincing to an employer in Dominican Republic

Hello everyone,

Finding a job in Dominican Republic is no easy feat. From applying for a job all the way to job interviews, the etiquette can be different abroad. Specially job interviews, that can already be pretty daunting, can feel even worse when set in a whole new country. If you've gone through a job interview in Dominican Republic before, how about giving a few tips to someone who might be preparing for one?

Do interviews usually take place in a formal or casual setting in Dominican Republic? Do you have any pointers for job interviews that take place over a lunch or dinner?

From application all the way to the job interview, what is essential to make an candidate stand out?

Culturally speaking, are there specific do's and don'ts? What is the general take on bringing a parent on the job interview or a gift to the interviewer?

Can you tell us a little about your experience? What worked and what did not work for you?

How important is it to have a solid professional network prior to a job interview?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

Well this will be interesting.

First and foremost you need to be legal here to work. That means you either have residencia or a work visa or you are a citizen.

The process of residencia has its own thread and we will not cover that here.  Suffice to say it is almost impossible to get a job without being legal.

For expats its best to get a clear idea of the types of jobs available here and the wage structures in place. That will prevent shock  when you receive a job offer.

Almost all jobs are filled before an ad is placed. The exception would be high turnover  type positions, call centers etc.   

A resume here contains a lot of personal information. It is normal and required to send a photo!   It is normal and often required to put your date of birth etc on your resume!   Sending a resume without that will not get you anywhere sadly.

While discrimination is technically illegal it is absolutely the norm here.

Networking is the key to getting jobs here. It is very much about who you know that can help you get in the door!   The only way to do that is by being here.

Jobs in tourism -  these jobs you can start applying for while offshore. Those are upper level and management positions not front line. Front line are hired here.

Interviews -  expect the unexpected.  Dress appropriately. Arrive  10 minutes early but be ready to wait!   

This country is a bit behind the times.  IF you want to be hired you will need to cover up your tattoos. Just assume the person interviewing you won't like them!   Same with piercings.

Be ready for personal questions.  That will be normal.  They will poke into your private life.   

Do not bring your parent or your friend or your brother to the job interview.  Very unprofessional.

I have recruited and hired hundreds of people here. I have managed hundreds of people here.  Send me a proper well written resume and you will stand out.  Resumes in this country tend to be absolute  crap!   Personalize your resume for each job you are applying for!  Don't send out generic unless you are broadly applying to get resumes out there!

Read the news, understand what is going on in the country and the area. Understand the company you are applying to!  Be ready to answer their questions. AND most important be ready to ask them well thought out questions!

Hello my dear Expats!

I gotta be honest jobs in the D.R. don't pay much. You may find a job that pays 35,000 pesos a month, you may...but even of you did that won't be enough to make it by.
What most people do that speak English fluently is work from home, you make more and get paid more working from home.
I am currently working from home and also researching more jobs online. There are many from English teacher non certified, Travel agents representative or Customer service agents, remote work. In some cases you must be a U.S. citizen in others you do not have to be.
But if you want tips on preparing for jobs interview here then just be on time, have a nice resume and always smile. As long as you are a foreighner you don't need much luck except be on time and sober for the interview.

Good luck!

Well that was interesting. I will  respond to the final paragraph which is on topic:

If you are referring to call center jobs, then maybe that is enough. In no other areas will that work.  Expats with this kind of attitude will not be hired.

Your other comments, while off topic, are correct and we discuss this at length in various threads honey.

Do Expats share job opportunities? If they have that would be a hot topic.

Just curious if there are Online Job Banks similar to US & Canada. More for jobs on the Professional side like Construction Project management.

There are a couple and of course all in Spanish.  I will post somethings from my computer later.

https://do.profdir.com/https://www.aldaba.com/