Massage therapy license

Hi . My name is Meagan.  I'm a licensed massage therapist in Las Vegas.  I have a business opportunity in DR . Can someone tell me if there is any licensing requirement to be a massage therapist or do they recognise licensing from the US? I can't seem to find any I formation on requirements for a Professional Massage Therapist. Any help would be great!

Greetings Meagan....I tried getting some info on the same subject a while back, but never got a clear cut answer. I know there is a spa in the Millenium Hotel in Cabarete. I'm not sure if the same Canadian therapists I met a while nack are still running the spa, but you are welcomed to reach out to them for some answers.  Here is a link to their page....I believe way back then a Canadian younglady by the name of Michelle was running the spa. Please come back and share your findings on the forum, since theur might be others looking for the same answers.

http://millenniumcabarete.com

Welcome to the forums. I have never been able to get a cleAr answer to that either. I know massage therapists from several countries who call themselves professional or registered massage therapists. Not sure of their actual status here.

thank you so much for the responses! Yes those have been my findings as well. Everyone who claims "professional" all have licenses from either Canada or US so I am assuming there is no true licensing. I am waiting on one person who may have more info. As soon as I hear I will let you know!

Thank you! Yes I saw her website and she mentions all of her credentials, so I'm assuming if she has any training or certifications based in DR she would have noted them.  I'll let you know anything I hear! Are you living in DR?

I'm in the U.S. at this moment. I go back and forth, will be there again in the next few months :cool:  Please be sure to keep us posted. Are you planning on getting your Dominican residency or starting a business of your own.  You will require residency to work legally or a work visa, which I hear are pretty hard to get, but if you have the chance to live and work while earning a comfy salary, then by all means go for it.

Ive know a lot of people who have gotten massages, including me, and lots of babes who do massages, but have never even heard of anybody metion whether they were credentialed.  Same goes for: hair dressers, barbers, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, contractors.  Thats just the short list.

So true!!!

Get your butt here! We need a professional here, more of them in fact.  We have a surplus of the happy ending  types.  At least at Passions, you got a decent massage plus. The plus is not necessary, the therapetic  (sp) massage is. You should do well here among us old fogys.  Welcome & good wishes for you.

And here a " certificate" can mean a 10 hour course. There are almost no requirements here.

FWIW, INFOTEP offers certification in Massage therapy.  I know a few women who have taken the courses and received the certification.

They do not offer happy ending massages.

I would think there would be a healthy demand for professionals here.

What may shock some of them are the salaries offered.

And here a " certificate" can mean a 10 hour course. There are almost no requirements here.

Other certs JD.  People need to check the "qualificatuins" closely

There are very good therapeutic massage therapists in the PC area but most work at the resorts.  To find one outside of the resorts is difficult.  The price you pay per hour depends upon the location, regularity and type of massage.  Relaxation vs deep tissue therapy.  There are no happy endings with a registered massage therapist.  The therapists I use on a regular basis exceed the skills (from school and experience, here in the DR) of any therapist I have had in Canada.  My opinion is based upon 24 years of experience never having less than 1 1/2 hours of deep tissue therapy every other week.  Getting your license here is not the issue.  Giving a good massage for the right price and building your client base is the issue.  Consider starting at $20US per hour if you are skilled.  If you are not your business will end quickly.  Again, I live in the PC (tourist) area so other areas may be different.

I am still looking for a great therapist here in Santo Domingo!

It is very difficult.  They are hidden secrets.  When you find one, you are blessed.

I would love to know the steps to take to get certified in the Dominican to become a massage therapist. I have training here in NY which requires 1200 hours of training.  I ran a very successful business here until covid hit. My boyfriend and I want to retire in the Dominican and well retirement for me sounds more like boredom so while he lounges around I would love to stay actively working for a while
My sister-in-law, from Moca, living and working in Red Deer Alberta for the past 11 years, has been doing massage therapy for about four years as she took/takes all the schooling for her license . She plans to have her own MT biz here in Moca. I haven't tried her services as the company where she works is not registered with Veterans Affairs. She has her own busness and once her final exam is passed, she will register with VAC. She has not found any licensing requirements for Massage Therapists in Moca. Those who use such services are likely the more well-to-do, in non-tourist regions, vice what is seen in North America  or Europe where many "ordinary" folk use this service as it is supported by company or private insurance. From previous threads, I recall reading a distinct lack of regulatory lines for MTs. In any case, asd Mike says, finding a good/great therapist is key.....so if you become very good and locate in an that will recognize/accept/use such service then your name will spread without advertising....I'm sure you know how it works. Good luck.  (note: she is going to keep her business registered in Canada and report as foreign income - if she registers with the Cdn VAC, she can still bill them. Depending on your location, this service may be possible the same way for the many US Veterans living/visiting the DR)
It is common here to do a 40 hour course and call yourself a massage therapist! There is no requirement for courses or testing.

It is easy to get a massage here and difficult to get a therapeutic massage from someone truly qualified.

I do expect this will change.
@DominicanadaMike

Hi Mike

I live in the same area as you although not permanently.  Can you send me the contact info for one or two of your massage therapist's?   I have had trouble finding a good one, as you say, hard to find. 
I know for a fact that the most highly recommended massage therapist in Las Terrenas is self-taught from online "studies" and YouTube videos. She might be great at giving a nice, relaxing massage on the beach, but there is no way I'd go to anyone without proof of training. I've had back, shoulder, and neck issues and don't want to let some hack make it worse.

@planner My wife uses a lady MT at Dr. Vetura's office in SD. She raves about her and how therapeutic it is. Its a bit pricey for me but she thinks they do an excellent job.  C. Tetelo Vargas 26, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic  809-654-8888. Also just about everyone in there speaks English.  Just in case anyone is looking for a lead.

Thanks, I appreciate the referral!
@polo1club
    If your wife says they do a great job then  they do a great job …. Priceless
@Karen1:  I sent you a private message...cheers

Hi,

I am looking into buying a small apartment in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic.  Does anyone have information on becoming licensed in the Dominican Republic. I am licensed as a Registered Massage Therapist in Canada.

Thanks!

There is no licensing for this here.

@Candy C I have an apartment I'm selling it's less than year old 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms if you would like to see it I have pictures also ***** but I don't have property in Punta cana

Moderated by Mickael last year
Reason : Do not publish your public data here. You can send it on private message
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@amyssavic Hey I can find out for you because there is a Va clinic in the Dominican Republic also women there are also massage therapist that work on my back all the time I can ask them

Hi Candy.  I sent you a PM. 

We do not permit sharing of personal contact information on an open forum.  We also invite you to place a classified as for your apartment!

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for licensing info myself. I'm new to this forum, so apologies for reviving an old thread. Your sister-in-law's journey sounds interesting.

I stumbled upon this thread while searching for licensing info myself. I'm new to this forum, so apologies for reviving an old thread. Your sister-in-law's journey sounds interesting.
-@parvejmaster

It seems like licensing requirements for massage therapists in Moca might not be as strict as in North America or Europe. Finding a good therapist is crucial, and word-of-mouth can be a powerful way to spread your name. By the way, I recently found some useful info about filler treatments on the  *deleted)

**** Please stay on topic. Filler treatments are not DR Related nor is the website***

@DominicanadaMike did you mean to say $20 an hour? Meaning dollars? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just stunned of that is the going rate. I am a liscenxed massage therapist in the US and I own 2 boutique style mini-spas. I have been toying with the idea of opening a space in DR. I am stunned if those are the rates and many need to drop the dream of opening there. My current clientele pays 120-140 for an hour massage (which is less than the larger spas here.) Please advise & Thank you!

non, she meant pesos lol

now she is for a hook lol, did not specified lol

The going rate  currently in Santo Domingo:

A massage in my house,  relaxation, 1.5 hours =  US 30

A massage in my  house deep tissue work 1.5 hours =  US 40 to 45

I had a massage last week so I know the rates currently.

Spa or resort massages are very different. Last  resort massage for  1.5 hours, relaxation was  US 90 and it was NOT  very good.

The location will dictate the fee.

You can check this link: https://www.salaryexplorer.com/average- … st-c61j366  This will give you an understanding of the fee structure.

If you are an independent, have your own business, your own clientele, then you can do better.

There are many good therapists here (Punta cana - veron area) working for 1000-1500 pesos for a 1 hour massage.  As a regular client from my home the price can be less.

If you go to a higher end area, cap cana for example, the people there are paying more but then if you don't live there you have to consider more expenses like travel.

@planner thank you. Very helpful information & clarity!

@DominicanadaMike ok, I'm very appreciative and I'll check this out. thank you so much. This will help me manage my expectations and plans.  Very helpful & clear information.