Wife denied entry need advice

Hi guys i really need some advice here. Me (SPR) and my wife (we have a son) from thailand have been married for 6 months and we have been travelling to singapore malaysia and thailand on a monthly basis as my work can be done online so travelling does not affect my work. And my son just got his long term pass in malaysia to stay with my parents. So i decided to go back to singapore to look for another full time job to increase my income.

This inccident happened yesterday at tuas check point. My wife and i was travelling to singapore from malaysia, upon reaching my wife's turn for checks she was being called to the office. As usual we showed the immigration officer our married certificate, but this time it is different as officer throw us afew questions.

Q) Do you know that even after getting married it does not guarantee ur wife entry to singapore. You are still bound to checks
A) Yes, i know and thats why we are here to let you check. (Officer doesnt seems happy that i gave him this answer)

Q) Why are you travelling to singapore ?
A) I have work to do and my wife just followed me.

Q) Why is she staying singapore so often ?
A) This is the part that got her into trouble as immigration officer claims that she is not allowed to visit singapore so frequently. This is also the reason why they denied her entry. So i wish to know if there is there such law that i didnt knew existed or is it that the officer took it personally ?

Q) Are u going to apply LTVP for your wife?
A) Yes, we are going to apply it this time since i have decided to stay in singapore to work full time.

Then they brought my wife to scan all her fingers and took her photo.

After all these the officer still decides to deny her entry to singapore. So i told him to apply for LTVP the applicant needs to be in Singapore and he claims that it can be done online. And i told him it cant be done online as the form requires me to fill in her DE card number.(apparently he does not know this ?) Despites the facts i have showed him. He still decided to proceed for her departure.

Facts
1) My wife was previously on scholarship to study in NUS medicine school thus explaining her frequent visits to singapore before we got married.

2) She did not commit any crime or overstaying

3) She stayed in singapore 3 months out of the 6 months we are married.

4) ICA officer were not interested in what i have to say and not being helpful.

5) Officer did not mentioned anything about banning entry so we can try to enter Singapore again ?

I hope someone can advice me what to do as i personally felt that the ICA officer is abusing his authority, being unreasonable and not listening.

Sorry to hear your case. What I understood from your case, was that there was nothing wrong from your end. Many cases, it depends on the officer reviewing, in your case you were at the wrong time.

You can't do anything against ICA other than consider few things as follows:

1. Try to bring your wife using Changi airport (show the return ticket).

Note: This is not required once you have a job here and you apply LTVP+ (where your wife can apply job here).

2. As you are in Singapore, try to reach out ICA office (either visit or call) to confirm that the denial of your wife's entry has no further adverse record and she can visit again. Once you got the confirmation then keep that as an evidence (request them to provide either a letter or email confirmation) and if required then you can show at Changi airport.

3. Don't bring your wife now, before you consult ICA officer, always carry a return ticket (even if it's bus ticket to Malaysia).

4. Rules are now getting stricter and it's getting tougher day by day. So, next time apply PR for your wife and child to avoid this trouble.

The Singapore immigration authority (like all border guards worldwide) have the right to deny anybody entry at any time for any reason. Thus the officer was not abusing his authority or being unreasonable - in HIS eyes.
By telling them about you working here and she's following you, you actually confirmed their suspicion that she is abusing multiple tourist visa for actually living here, too. They do not like that, as there are other visa types for this (e.g. LTVP). It is not their concern how you apply for it or if that is easy.
My advice: Be humble, contact ICA and do not attempt to bring her to Singapore again before you have written permission.

surya2k wrote:

Sorry to hear your case. What I understood from your case, was that there was nothing wrong from your end. Many cases, it depends on the officer reviewing, in your case you were at the wrong time.

You can't do anything against ICA other than consider few things as follows:

1. Try to bring your wife using Changi airport (show the return ticket).

Note: This is not required once you have a job here and you apply LTVP+ (where your wife can apply job here).

2. As you are in Singapore, try to reach out ICA office (either visit or call) to confirm that the denial of your wife's entry has no further adverse record and she can visit again. Once you got the confirmation then keep that as an evidence (request them to provide either a letter or email confirmation) and if required then you can show at Changi airport.

3. Don't bring your wife now, before you consult ICA officer, always carry a return ticket (even if it's bus ticket to Malaysia).

4. Rules are now getting stricter and it's getting tougher day by day. So, next time apply PR for your wife and child to avoid this trouble.

Thank you for ur reply, i did mentioned to the officer that we did not applied for ltvp since we were still traveling often and since now my son just received his ltvp in malaysia to stay with my parents i can now focus on my work and apply for ltvp for my wife to stay in sg, however the officer still insists on denying her entry.