Tips on managing labourers

Hi all,

If you would like to employ a labourer to carry out some work in your home for example (electrican, plumber, builder (mason)) what is the process here in Mauritius?

- Do I need to agree a contract?  What does one look like and is it legally binding?
- Do I purchase the materials myself or provide cash upfront to the labourer?

I would welcome any guidance/tips from those who have had work done...also please message me privately if you can recommend trustworthy, skilled workmen (electrican, plumber, builder (mason)).

Thanks,
BR

Dear BlackRiver

I can surely assist.

Please send me a private message.

Cheers

Vayid

Hi Vayid,

Maybe you can give some tips here on the forum?

Thank you,
Christine

Hi Vayid - just following on from Christine's post are you able to provide some advice within the forum. 

All,

I would like to understand what the process is for agreeing any work e.g. re-wiring in the home. 

I have heard first-hand of contractors that start a job and then don't turn up, take money to purchase suppliers and then do not return, you can't get them on the phone they literally disappear.

Does anyone have any tips on how to minimise these risks?

Thanks,
BR

This is unfortunately a big problem in Mauritius, i.e. workers who are unreliable and do not complete the job required or to a satisfactory level.

You could try enlisting a company, they would likely make you sign a contract and would have to be more accountable, given that their business's reputation would be on the line if they don't finish the work. But they would also be significantly more expensive, and so it really depends on the scale of the work required.

If you want to go down the route of employing an individual worker, then it's usually a more informal arrangement, they will give you a quotation and then if you agree, the work will start without formal paperwork, maybe just an invoice.

It sounds like you need an electrician, maybe you might have friends or colleagues who could recommend you someone? Even then there are no guarantees but at least that will help mitigate the risk.

U can get a reliable person and trustworthy
I can get u someone
He will give u receipts for all fittings bought
His name is steward ***
He lives in port louis.
He is more comfortable in creole

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Please avoid sharing contact details on the forum.

i am looking for a carpenter ( wood worker ) .... can any one assist . ? I live in Pamplemousses.

Thank you , please  :dumbom:

Thanks for your reply Islander316, much appericated

My tip is DO NOT pay money in front for labour OR materials. If they don't agree, find someone that will accept, those that don't are not worth considering....else, they may not even turn up at all once they've got the money....Oh yeah! sorry, I'll be there tomorrow, then... I was ill give me 2 days...definitely next week...then they don't answer the phone anymore...you are blocked on their phone....don't even think of police...utter waste of time....you've been done! More tips. Take a snap of their identity card and their face, make sure you and them sign terms and conditions and time of completion with penalties. Whilst they work, watch them yourself or someone who is trusted and knows the job at hand...else corners will be cut...etc. Finally, if you can do it yourself, then that will be the best bet. Speaking from many experiences and having lots of work done as gullible expat.....It's a hornet's nest. You can confirm this with most expats who may have certainly been stung at least once. Hope this comment helps...Good luck.

Dear all, thank you for sharing your true experience. I am afraid I'll have to agree with the fact that it is unfortunately true that once you part away with your money, the builders/contractors/labourers are unlikely to complete any job agreed with or without a contract. We have yet to find any honest contractors for any kind of work. Having lived in Europe for a very long time, it is hard and painful to face such unethical behavior. This is very common on the island and it makes me feel disappointed and angry. Of course it doesn't help to tell you about my negative experience but perhaps we can focus on the positives and start sharing feedback/recommendations on any decent and genuine builder/contractor/electrician/plumber we might been lucky to come across?