Bringing cat to Mauritius

Hello all,

We're considering bringing our cat to Mauritius. Does anyone know what the laws are surrounding this? Specifically, I'm worried that she is 15 years old and I think she has to stay in quarantine for 6 months? If thats the case I think we will have to find her a new home :(

Hi Strawb!

Conditions vary depending of the country of origine of the animal.
You need to get in touch with
"Government Veterinary Services Division, Agricultural Services"

(230) 454-1016/17 Fax: (230) 464-2210

E-mail address: [email protected], [email protected]

Hope it will help ;)

Regards
Armand

thank you :)

Do you REALLY HAVE to move to Mauritius? I would NEVER abandon an animal - a 15 year old cat is even worse. Mine is 17 years old and came with me all the way from San Francisco. My husband at first said that he was going to find my cats a "good home" (basically abandon the poor animals). I told him that my two cats were both moving to the island and that he could move to the "good home" instead. That changed his mind instantly! I moved with 2 cats - one blind. I hope you reconsider. It is EXTREMELY difficult for a 15 year old cat to adapt to a new home.

Anna,

We have to move for work. It's a tough call about the cat, that's why I'm trying to work out if it's better to move an old long haired cat to a HOT country who may spend 6m in quarantine, or keep her here in the UK. We may potentially be renting our house out to good friends who are very much cat people, so there is also the option of keeping her at the home she knows with people who love her. I would LOVE to bring her to MAU, but her happiness is far more important.

I should add that whilst she's 15, we've only had her 4 years as the previous owners didn't want her anymore and we couldn't bear to see her have an uncertain 'retirement'.

I'd be very interested to hear more about your experiences of moving your cat to MAU too, as it's all new to me (how long did they have to stay in quarantine?)

We will do what is best for her once we're sure know what that is :)

Does anyone else have any insight on this? I've tried calling several numbers and none of them work. The email addresses are also coming back as undelivered.

The messages I'm getting are totally confusing. They range between 1m to 6m in Quarantine! Very frustrating!

I have a cat trying to move to Mauritus. In all honesty, the hardestcpart to get past is the rabies track record in YOUR country. If the country you move your cat from has no recent case of rabies in the past 10 years, then you should be good. When you call the Mauritius import office, please ask to talk to Mr. Gunnes, he really is the most patient and accommodating to your personal situation. He told me as long as your cat shows no signs of communicable diseases then within 2 maybe 3 months they will be released. Bit from other personl reports, your cat will be well taken care of while in quarantine.

The emails bounce back as undeliverable because their email inbox gets full often......the best bet you have is to call them on the phone, but their hours available is very strict. Don't give up and please certaintly don't give up on bringing your cat with you. A little diligence and perseverance on your part will be rewarding in the end.

Since I'm bringing my cat with me from a country with a high rabies count I'm having a struggle, but age is NOT a factor.

Submit a full record of your vaccinations, a rabies blood test (to make sure their rabies vaccine is still active in the blood), and with me the 3 year vaccines are NOT in effect for Mauritius. Sorry, but anything over 1 year will have to be redone. Also, a microchip is required. Suit the name of your pet with your owner name with the microchip number on all papers.

Please, I have been doiing this for a whole, any further questions do not hesitate to ask for more info!

thank you so much for your response, it's great to hear from someone who is in a similar situation and has taken the time to respond so well. We are seeing the vet on Monday, who will hopefully give us a good idea of whether our cat will come with us. I'm hoping that since the UK is rabies free we will only have 1m in quarantine otherwise I may reconsider.

I will report back soon!

Seems our pussy cat won't be joining us :(
Vet says its up to us but she is old and I don't want to put her through so much stress at her age. We are renting our home out to friends and she will be staying with them. So at least she stays in her own home with people who love her :)

Well, I'm sorry your vet recommended against it! Many animals have flown from the UK to Mauritius so your import would be easily obtained.

You do know that you can go and visit your pet in quarantine every day for as long as you like,yes? You can bring her own food and toys and bedding if you like as well, and they have a licensed vet on staff to care for the animals and observe them in Q.

I would hate to leave my cat behind! Don't forget should you change your mind she can always come later!

Can you or anyone confirm the phone number for the Mauritian pet import authority?

I have tried all of the below numbers but none of them seem to have a ring tone?;

230 454-1016/17

230 466 66 62

230 466 63 25

I think it must be a very difficult decision for you to make.  If you have friends that can look after your cat, perhaps it would be better to leave her there to start with and assess the situation here.  It is very hot here in the summer.  Also I don't know if you are aware but there are alot of stray cats and we quite often have them fighting in our garden.  I don't know much about cats so am not sure if they would keep away if you had a cat but if not that could be a problem for your cat.  Good luck whatever you decide.

Strawb
I know it must be a difficult decision, one I had to make myself just over a year ago...but to be honest, I think you are making the right choice - she is 15 and I think it might be too stressful for her - and even if she is only in quarantine for a month, that is still a long time in my opinion. I agree with angelaluch, when here you can reassess the situation. All the best and good luck with your move:)

Thanks all, it's a big help to know people who have been here before. My future wife is upset but we know we are making the right call. I just wanted to at least try and do all I can I guess.