Import Duties on motor vehicle for an expat returning to Mauritius

Currently living in South Africa, I am trying to find out if it is worth it to ship my car back to Mauritius with me or to sell it here and buy another one on my return? Can anyone with experience with this advise me?

Thank you:)

If you are a returning resident and want to bring your car, you will find all you need to know here:

http://www.mra.mu/index.php/12-home/imp … r-vehicles

Importing a car to Mauritius is not an easy task you have so many offices to visit before you can get your car on the road here.  I imported my car from the UK because i had only purchased one month before deciding to come to Mauritius.  However it was worth it in the end as the model i have is higher spec than others you can buy here.  It is a diesel car and was only one year old so i got co2 emissions discount which added up to quite a refund on the duty i had to pay. I did use the same importer broker as the house things which helped as they handled all of the paperwork for me.  Once you get the car released you are given a three day certificate to get you home etc.

the CO2 emission of a vehicle, , has been suspended as from 30 July 2016 !!

Thanks Winston!

Thank you Leslie for the info, i appreciate it.

Hi ,
I have just received my Retirement Visa in Mauritius and want to import my vehicle from South Africa into Mauritius.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Are their “brokers” that do this?
Much appreciated
Colin