Importing a car from South Africa to Mauritius

Hi all,

Pls help. I will be getting an Occupation permit for Mauritius for 3 years. Will be on the road a lot and need to bring my car. It's 50 months old. Is that a problem?

Hi Tanya and welcome to the forum.   :)

Unfortunately, according to customs and immigration Mauritius, you cannot a vehicle less than 18 months old and more than 48 months old at time of importation.
The website www.mra.mu for information.

Hi Stumpy,

Thank you for this. I wanted to go do police clearance tomorrow. Will put the process on hold for now and make another plan🤣I appreciate the speedy response and look forward to meeting you all when we get there.

Best you consider selling your car and buying a car when you get here.
FYI, I am not in Mauritius.

Hi Stumpy,

Thank you again. Where are you based?

Hi Tanya

With 100% import duties, plus the cost of shipping, it is simply not worth your while, even if you do get the formalities right. I would suggest long term car rental as an alternative.

All the best

Hi Sue,

Thank you for this feedback. Do you perhaps know of any recommendations for long term car hire then pls?

Thank you

Dear Tanya,

Actually you have the right to bring a 50 months old car toMauritius if you're entering the island through Occupational or Work Permit. There is no problem for the age of the car.

Please contact Mrs. Hanna > Mob/WhatsApp: (230) 57979027 so she can help you further.

She assisted me with a similar situation couple of years ago.

Regards.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for this. I will call her tomorrow 👍

Hi Tanya, how did the vehicle import go? Did you find that it was worth the cost? Please share as I am thinking about what is best for me to do. Thank you Tanya. Best, Tracy