How much do you guys pay for a long term car rental

I'm in Mauritius now and looking for a long term car rental.

How much does it usually cost to rent the following cars on a long term basis (>6 months)

1. Small Hatchback
2. Sedan
3. Mid- Sized SUV

Would it be possible to get a car for 15k a month?
I know some people got small cars for even lower but those posts were while ago and prices would have changed a lot by now thanks to inflation

Additionally if someone got a good deal from a rental company, please PM me details if possible.

Thanks,
Hi, there you can price starting around 18,000 thousands per months.depends what car you need..***
Thnks regards
Jay
Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Promoting own services
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Following
Hello

Few years ago it was 12k for a Nissan March.
Now I think it's more around 14k.

Of course those aren't official rentals, you won't have a contract, but all insurances are here. A LOT of people rent these cars.

Else you can rent throught an official agency, but prices are ridiculous (18k-20k at least)
@zurtle

I'm actively considering a long term car rental.
It's "challenging" to do the required research because many of the websites (which are all "the best and the cheapest") are difficult to use, require you ask them for rates, don't have any cars available, are broken, etc. My favorite is one that extols the virtues of the agency owner at length... but doesn't tell you anything at all about the cars. Utterly useless, unless you want to rent a car agency owner.

Here are the links for the companies I've found that are worth a second look:
mauritius-rentacar.com/en/long-term-car-rental-mauritius
crystal-carrental.com/
lelowcost-auto-location-ilemaurice.com/
cathcar.com/
discovercars.com/mauritius
transferistecarrental.com/
vkbcarrentalmauritius.com/

crazy-sign1.jpg

For those of you wanting to drive in Mauritius, read this:
mauritius-carhire.com/driving

The roads in Mauritius are 1.8 cars wide.  Not the lanes.  The roads.  (This is meant to be only slightly humorous.)  Get a narrow car.  If you can, get a car (like a Nissan March) that has mirrors that you can fold in by pushing a button.  There have been several times I've folded them in to squeeze through a tight spot.

Learning to drive on the wrong side of the road was easy... except for the multi-lane roundabouts. Take the time to learn how they work *before* you're in the middle of one. Once you do... come explain it to me.

[Advertising]
Moderated by Vero last year
Reason : No free advertising on the forum, thanks. You can register your company on the Mauritius business directory

@Starry Expanse

Thanks, I'll look into the links you sent.
No one really puts up prices upfront and it's a pain to contact everyone and ask.

I've driven before in even more chaotic bumper to bumper traffic before.
I've noticed here that people tend to really floor it and go fast, even on narrow roads.

Nissan March seems decent for my needs, I'd be fine with a 10yr old car too as long as it runs fine.

@Starry Expanse

I do not know where you live, but getting the smallest car is a weird advice in my opinion.

Mauritians road aren't that narrow, but there are a lot of older or dirt road. If anything, I'd advise people to get a bigger car, SUV or 4x4.
You feel much safer in those cars, and it's way more confortable.

Roundabout are the same here as their are elsewhere! What's the thing that trouble you?

But tell us again how is Mauritius driving on the "Wrong" side of the road?
Honestly, if you can get a monthly rental for 15k which is safely insured, today that's not a bad deal and you should consider it

@zurtle  ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Promoting own services
@Starry Expanse

I do not know where you live, but getting the smallest car is a weird advice in my opinion.

Mauritians road aren't that narrow, but there are a lot of older or dirt road. If anything, I'd advise people to get a bigger car, SUV or 4x4.
You feel much safer in those cars, and it's way more confortable.

Roundabout are the same here as their are elsewhere! What's the thing that trouble you?

But tell us again how is Mauritius driving on the "Wrong" side of the road?
- @jex2

I can't really agree with you at all there about the larger vehicle @jex2 - I am fully with @Starry Expanse having personally experienced the benefit of a Honda Fit (Jazz) through the tight lanes of Curepipe and Quatre Bornes as compared to, for example a Toyota Hilux or Ford Ranger which some of the expats from my country like to import

Honestly, if you can get a monthly rental for 15k which is safely insured, today that's not a bad deal and you should consider it
- @Julien

@Julien, how would a rental amount of MUR 15000 - MUR 18000 compare to the monthly cost to Lease that exact same vehicle or the monthly loan repayment to buy one from one of the vehicle importer/dealers ?

mycar.mu/car/leasing-loan/step1

mycar.mu/car/dealers/imported-recon
@jex2

You're old buddy Starry Expanse has got you covered!

I said "get a narrow car" (not the smallest possible car) and I haven't found myself on any unavoidable dirt roads, but I don't like to be contentious, so I looked for a place to rent a half-width Hummer V2. I'll let you know when I find one.

Here are some articles referring to driving on the left as driving on the "wrong" side of the road.:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_and_right-hand_traffic
ehlinelaw.com/blog/commonwealth-drivers-left-hand-driving
dramandaforeman.com/brief-history-driving-left/
travelyourself.ca/cailins-blog/learning-to-drive-on-the-wrong-side-of-the-road/

Here is a world map of which countries drive on the "wrong" side of the road:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-_and_right-hand_traffic#/media/File:Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg

You're welcome. 1f60e.svg

Hello,

Actually the price to hire a Nissan March / Micra (auto transmission) is around rs16,000-18,000 per month on a long term basis.

You can DM me if you want some more info.

Here are a couple of creative alternatives that would work in my situation.

Option #1:
I live in Flic en Flac. I don't have a car. I don't need one most of the time.
If you're thinking of a long term car rental but don't need a car full time, consider splitting it with me.
If you're interested, please send me a private message.

Option #2
As an alternative, I'd be willing to pay for gas (aka petrol), etc., if you have a car and you're willing to drive.
It usually doesn't matter when or where I go: Flic en Flac, Cascavelle, Tamarin, Phoenix, Quatre Bornes, Port Louis... I can usually find what I need (typically groceries) just about anywhere.
If you're nearby and you want to make a few rupees by letting me tag along when you're running errands, please let me know in a private message.

Thank you,
--John

Hello
Few years ago it was 12k for a Nissan March.Now I think it's more around 14k.
Of course those aren't official rentals, you won't have a contract, but all insurances are here. A LOT of people rent these cars.
Else you can rent throught an official agency, but prices are ridiculous (18k-20k at least)
-@jex2

Hi, can you DM somebody renting this cars or any agency renting at 18k? I can not find any as cheap although I contacted dozens of agencies.

Thank you.

Hi, there you can price starting around 18,000 thousands per months.depends what car you need..***Thnks regards Jay
-@vijayesh

Hi, can you DM somebody renting this cars or any agency renting at 18k? I can not find any as cheap although I contacted dozens of agencies.

Thank you.

@zurtle

I moved to Mauritius in March and found on Facebook a small Hyundai (NOV 2016) for 14.600 MUR.

Of course not from a rental agency. Period is from March - September

@Vanessa2909 any contacts?

@Vanessa2909

prices definitely have risen I received the following quotes for long term rental today:

Renault Duster (2017)   Rs 24 000 per month

Hyundai Grand i10 / Toyota Passo / Nissan March (Micra) / Kia Picanto (all automatic)     Rs 20 000 - 21 0000 per month

• this works out to Rs 700 per day
  • standard insurance is included but you have to pay a deductible of Rs 25 000 in the event of an accident
  • Gold cover insurance with a Zero deductible adds Rs 5000 per month to your cost

@Ceresiet please message me directly. I will be looking for a rental car next week, tha nks very much.

@Ceresiet

It depends of course for what type of car you are looking for. I think End of March is quite recent and I pay as mentioned 14,6k/month for a small Hyundai i10 automatic from End of March - End of September 2023.

I gave someone from this forum the contact information and the person received kind of the same offer +-1000 MUR for same type of car.

The amount I have to cover from the insurance is 10.000 MUR in case of an accident. And I need to mention we were stopped by the police twice in the first month and never had any issues with the car, insurance or anything else.

@jex2 I live in mainland AFRICA. Driving in Mauritius was like a paradise compared to.

Can you give me the contact, please ? We need one car from 27/12/23 for about 1 month

Thanks

The simple question is, will it be more economical to buy a car and re-sell to the dealer after a years use ( assume no accidents etc) or rent a car  on a year-rate? We are looking at a Compact car like Honda/Jazz Fit and the like.

It would seem a guaranteed buyback from the dealer mikght be cheaper?

High mileage example:

this 2012 Nissan March with 150 000 km on the odometer

engine & drivetrain: 1190 cc Petrol automatic

body type: 5-door hatchback

price Rs 275 000 (negotiable)

monthly repayment: Rs 2018 (estimated)

to RENT this car is Rs 21 000 per month (estimated)

to LEASE this same car requires a 15% deposit = Rs 41 250 and a repayment of Rs 5 646 per month over 4 years.

lexpresscars Reference #  277796

https://www.lexpresscars.mu/listings/us … tic-277796

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lower mileage example:

this 2018 Nissan March with 18 000 km on the odometer

engine & drivetrain: 1190 cc Petrol automatic

price Rs 495 000

monthly repayment: from Rs 3633

to RENT this car is Rs 21 000 per month (nearly 6 times as much as the repayment if you purchase) and then the rental car will most likely have much higher kilometres on the odo / show much more wear and tear.

to LEASE this same car requires a 15% deposit = Rs 74 250 and a repayment of Rs 10 105 per month over 4 years.

link to lease calculator here:

https://www.mycar.mu/car/get-a-lease-lo … mp;submit=

lexpresscars Reference #  197429

https://www.lexpresscars.mu/listings/ce … tic-197429

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

find other examples here:

https://www.lexpresscars.mu/search-vehi … ileage_low

and here:

https://www.mycar.mu/car/buy?display=ca … model=1502

3 more examples of the Buy < Lease < Rent equation based on @Vanessa2909 's Hyundai i10 rental above:

High mileage example:

this Oct 2014 Hyundai i10 with 150 000 km on the odometer

engine & drivetrain: 1086 cc Petrol manual

price Rs 155 000

+ Rs 9800 registration fees + Rs 300 other fees

monthly repayment: Rs 1137 (estimated)

to RENT this car is Rs 14 600 per month (estimated)

to LEASE this same car requires a 15% deposit = Rs 23 250 and a repayment of Rs 3 174 per month over 4 years.

MyCar Mauritius Reference #  51755

https://www.mycar.mu/car/buy/51755

Medium mileage example:

this 2015 Hyundai Grand i10 with 123 045 km on the odometer

engine & drivetrain: 1.2 Litre Petrol manual

price Rs 300 000 (negotiable)

monthly repayment: from Rs 2201

to LEASE this same car requires a 15% deposit = Rs 45 000 and a repayment of Rs 6 180 per month over 4 years.

lexpresscars Reference #  272611

https://www.lexpresscars.mu/listings/us … ual-272611

Low mileage example:

this 2022 Hyundai i10 with just 6800 km on the odometer

engine & drivetrain: 998 cc Petrol automatic

price Rs 635 000

+ Rs 13 000 registration fees + Rs 300 other fees

monthly repayment: Rs 6880 (estimated)       

to LEASE this same car requires a 15% deposit = Rs 95 250 and a repayment of Rs 13 062 per month over 4 years.

in this low-mileage example, the monthly Leasing fee comes close to the Rental fee (but if you rent, you will most probably receive a higher-mileage car showing more wear and tear).

** I have used R14 600 per month as the Rental in all 3 examples, which is not really accurate, but when you rent you are not able to choose which specific car you get and how high its mileage is. (R14600 is the amount given higher up in this thread to rent a similar Hyundai i10).

MyCar Mauritius Reference #  51983

https://www.mycar.mu/car/buy/51983

link to lease calculator here:

https://www.mycar.mu/car/get-a-lease-loan

I am looking at outright buy and then sell back . I wonder if that would work out>

Best option if you are looking to have a car for 1 year or more is  to buy a car and then sell it back. The only issue will be that the cost of the car will not be available to use.

PM for additional details

@zurtle it will be better to buy a car

Renting will cost you more in the long run.

Hello, I wish to rent a car in the grand bay area for a month. Any leads will be helpful. Ready to split with anyone too.

Thanks

@Ceresiet Thanks for this well worked example!

@Vanessa2909

Could you please send me the contact for a car rental?

regrads

Eugene

@bj56 can I ask what car you get for that price please