Accident Damaged Vehicles

Hi there

Can anyone tell me what happens to vehicles in Mauritius which have been in an accident and are not repairable?

Hi,
In Mauritius all accidented or even total loss declared vehicles are repairable.... In fact the vehicles are nicely repaired and put back on the road.... This is quite a lucrative business...
Jalan

hello

I second the answer of Jalan!Total loss cars are everyday being repaired and put back on the road and most of the time when you are buying a second hand recon car, you will not even be told if the vehicle has been accidented or not.

Kenjee
Expat.com

Does anyone by chance know of any companies who sell accident damaged vehicles or who deal in them? Thanks

nimpit00 wrote:

Does anyone by chance know of any companies who sell accident damaged vehicles or who deal in them?

Hi,
There exist some companies but sometimes there are small dealers who purchase these accidented motor vehicles, simple auto body technicians/mechanics could be an example, they used to buy these damaged vehicles (almost all from auction sales) and fixed what should be repaired and same are put for sales after reconditioning
I can say that they handle them very well since you will never know if these vehicles have once been damaged as these repairs are sooo well done  :)

julie1515

Thank you for the information. Do you perhaps know the names of these auction places?

nimpit00 wrote:

Thank you for the information. Do you perhaps know the names of these auction places?

I know that it's situated in Port Louis, will come back to you later to give you the name ;)

julie1515

Thank you

You need to check in the papers from time to time. The Auctions are announced in advance.  You can also get closer to banks, insurance and leasing companies : they often have seized vehicles lying in their garage.

That having said, you should note that sale of seized or damaged cars is a big business in Mauritius. At some point, you will realise that there are some big sharks who act together in a cartel structure. It's very difficult, almost impossible, for any newcomer to get through.  They have established relationships everywhere and move through the maze very easily where you will normally find mountains to climb (Eg: Getting a fitness certificate for vehicle, road tax certificate, insurance policy... etc.).

Getting a vehicle repaired back is a technical challenge - what's worse (and can lead to headaches) is the legal side of things; papers, etc. 

All the best.

Thank you for the information Nadeem. Much appreciated.

Good day Nimpit.

I read your conversation on the business of accident damaged vehicles.

Is it some thing you further pursued?

Regards,
Pierre.

Very difficult to do here Pierre. Have not done so.