Getting Motorbike License in Mauritius

Hi! Planning to move to Mauritius soon on a one-year premium visa from the UK.
Assuming everything is granted, I wanted to know if anyone had any knowledge of getting a motorcycle license in Mauritius?
I don't have one in the UK, but have been riding a 125cc on a provisional for a year and would love to get a full license while I'm over there
Is it possible for a foreigner to get a motorcycle license in Mauritius, and if so, what is the process?

Hi Joshintheuk,

Welcome to Expat.Com  :)

The process is explained here : https://police.govmu.org/police/?page_id=5578

It is rather new as a couple of years ago, people didn't need any licence for motorbikes.

I would however, recommend that you get your full licence in the UK itself (if you can). The licence obtained in the UK will be internationally recognised, compared to the Mauritian one, which might not be...

Regards,
Anoushka

HI - I live in Mauritius, I'm from USA and I drive a 125 cc here myself. Your UK license will qualify you to drive here. I also drive a car, it's totally legal to do so with your existing license as long as it's still valid. Hope that helps - Jeff

Getting new license is time consuming.

Better you get license from UK.

It is rather easy to get your UK license converted to Mauritius Driving License.

That "Rather Easy Process" still gets approx. 2 months time (on minimum side).

Rest I can guide you more info once you land here. I am at Mauritius itself.

Shammi
Feb28,2022

I am Chinese and I am applying for a premium  visa,I also want to know if the Chinese driver's license can be used directly in Mauritius, or exchanged for a Mauritian driver's license
Hello Wu Xuping,

You will be able to drive for at least 4 weeks. For a longer period you might need an authorisation from police or an acceptable driving licence (either Mauritian or international). I am not sure about this as some foreigners drive for longer period with their foreign driving licence.

If needed, you can exchange your licence in Mauritius, follow this link for all details : https://police.govmu.org/police/?page_id=4928

International Driving Permit
Conversion of Foreign Driving Licence

When you get here, contact the Police Traffic Branch
Information desk opening hours:

Monday to Friday from 0700 hrs to 1600 hrs
Saturday from 0700 hrs to 1200 hrs
208 1212- Ext 1251

Licensing Office
212 6159
208 1212- Ext 1232/1265/1543 during working hours

Online Service
213 5744

Appointment Section
2081212 – Ext 1238

Operation Room Traffic Branch (24 hrs service)
211 8434
211 8474
Hot Line: 166
Fax: 208 6077

Email:  [email protected]
[email protected]

All the very best,
Anoushka