Business permit

Hi,

I currently live in Mauritius and I'm here on a spouse permit. I'm a web designer by trade and I'm looking to set myself up so I can work from home. At the moment I'm not legally allowed to work here -
does anyone know where I should start and whether it will affect my current permit?

Thanks

Hi

If you want to run your own business you would have to apply for a self employed occupational permit with an Initial investment of $35000. If you go to www.navitascorperate.mu. They have all the info online and will be able to assist you or advise on what the best way forward is.

Hope this helps a bit. My wife is currently in the same situation  as you.

Hi Pinkipops, and welcome on board,

what are your main technical skills ?

Hi,

HTML 5, CSS3, Bootstrap, some  JavaScript and jQuery.

Also some travel blogging, a relocation app (Cape Town) and SEO writing experience.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - seems very expensive. Thanks for the link and good luck to your wife!

Hi

Yes it is. Apparently there is the work permit route which you can go instead of the occupational permit where you will just have to register the business and apply for a work permit but this I do not know much about. I went the occupational permit route.

Pinkipops wrote:

Hi,

I currently live in Mauritius and I'm here on a spouse permit. I'm a web designer by trade and I'm looking to set myself up so I can work from home. At the moment I'm not legally allowed to work here -
does anyone know where I should start and whether it will affect my current permit?

Thanks

Hello!  :)

I agree with others regarding the self-employed status. What about working online. There should be online projects in other countries. Have you tried to work online?
Of course, online work required a personal branding to some extent. Let me know what you think. I will try to find more info

Hi, yes I do some online work for the UK mainly but I have been asked to do a few websites here and haven't been able to due to my permit.

ah, I see... not that easy, What about going to the Embassy or speak with the lawyer?

Meanwhile, you can take some more projects from the other countries. What do you think? Is it your first experience working online?

You can register a company. You don't need any permit for this.

What you have to know, people opt for residency permits when they are not normally resident. You already have residency and therefore the law cannot force you to drop this permit and take a new one. A company is a separate legal entity, you can be the director and/or shareholder - as long as you are not earning a salary from that company (therefore not an employee), you do not necessarily need another permit. A director or a shareholder do not need any permit, unless the person is not resident on the island and requires a residency permit through this business.

The Companies Act provides that every company shall have a 'resident' director, it doesn't specify which type of residency, therefore covers all.

At the end of the day, the company being a separate legal entity, can invoice, trade, deal, and perform for its clients.

Quite tricky to understand but no one has been able to challenge it. There's a series of Law that back this and no Law that forces you, as spouse, not to use this route.

Thanks Nadeem for your kind advice - I will definitely look into this.

Thanks to everyone else for all of your suggestions too, you've all been very helpful.

Hi,
This may be a late reply but there is also the opportunity of registering yourself as an individual consultant, You will get a BRN stating with "I". You should  in theory start working with that. Else you can start a 1 person company and work on the projects.

Regards
Deenesh