Hi to everyone, and I need some and advice please

My wife and I are planning to move to Glasgow in about 4 months. I would really appreciate some advice on some things.

What is the best and fastest way to secure a flat? This something quite important because I would not like to stay in a hotel for a few weeks before getting a flat. To be honest I will not be able to afford to live in a hotel for a month while finding a flat.

Another thing I read was that some letting agents will ask for a few months rent in advance if you do not have a UK credit record. Is this true, and if it is, is there a way around this? Could I give them statements and references from my country. Will that make any difference?

What is the work situation like? I know  lot of people complain about the work situation, but I also think it is relative to the type of job you are looking for. I am an electrician and browsing the job sites I saw that things does not look very good for getting a job, but I am not scared of work and will wait tables or do bar work or be a car car guard or whatever it takes to keep food on the table. My wife has a master degree in psychology and has a good track record as a recruitment consultant.

How bad is the crime? It does not bother me much because I am used to crime (live in South Africa).It is for the safety of my wife that I am most concerned about. Would you get stabbed if you accidentally wander in the wrong area at midnight? Or is it more of a situation where drunk people end up fighting,or domestic violence or soccer hooligans?

What is a relative nice area to live in with rent that is not too high?A basic 1 or 2 bedroom flat with good transport links.

There are some more questions I have, but I cant think of then now.If you have any additional advice that would be of some help then I would appreciate it.

Thank you

It is very likely that you will be asked to pay one months rent in advance and a minimum of one month as a bond.  The bond is returned when you leave unless it is required to make any repairs. That is only fair and this is the system worldwide.

Nowadays, credit references are also sought, as once you are a tenant, it is very difficult to evict you if you do not pay your rent.  So landlords and agencies need to know you have a good credit record. 

But they also realise this is difficult for people overseas, so my advice would be to bring bank statements and references with you.  They will be checked.

As to finding a flat, once you have an idea of which area, I would google estate agents in that area and contact them by email.  I am sure they will be happy to help.

The work situation is not good at all, regardless of which work you do.  For every job there are at least 50 people chasing it.  I am Scottish, but not living there at the moment.  I would love to return, but the job situation for people like me - even with a degree - is terrible. I am stuck here in NZ.  Have you thought about coming here?  At least there is work and the weather is warmer.  But even here there are problems.

I wish I could give you happier news on employment, but it would be wrong to say everything will be fine, only for you to find out different once you are here. 

Crime - well there is crime in every country, but I do not think it is as bad as in South Africa, at least not according to my SA friends.

Stabbed - no - mugged - yes.  But again just don't walk about alone in bad areas.  Are you both white SA?  I think we have less racial problems in Scotland compared to other countries, at least I would like to think so. 

And yes we have domestic violence and alcohol problems, but then so does every other country.

Soccer hooligans?  Definitely more of a problem in England.  Our tartan army (Scotland followers) are welcomed all over the world. :)

I hope someone comes along soon with an idea of which areas you should live in.

Good luck

Hi Bob,

I completely agree with Colin. The more references you have the better. An ex-landlord reference is one of the best and you must be prepared to show bank statements proving you are in a sound financial position. You really have to put yourself in the shoes of the landlord and ask yourself what you yourself would be happy to accept if you were a landlord. You may also have to be prepared to have someone act as guarantor for you.

As to the Glasgow rental market, generally the closer to the city centre you are the more expensive the rent. The average monthly rent, at the end of 2010, for a 2 bed flat in Glasgow was £607 and £444 for a 1 bed. There has been a slight increase in demand for flats throughout the city recently with the time taken to let falling, so you have a little more competition. Generally it takes around 30 days on average for a flat to let in Glasgow - but the best ones will always be snapped up a lot quicker than that in usually just a few days!

Generally, the most expensive areas to rent are Park & Woodlands; Bearsden & Milngavie; Kelvinside & Dowanhill; the City centre and Partick & Glagow Harbour.

The cheapest average monthly rents are in postcodes: G31 (Dennistoun, Haghill, Parkhead), G32 (Carmyle Tollcross etc), G40 (Bridgeton, Calton) G42 (Battlefield, Govanhill etc), G44 (Cathcart, croftfoot etc.) and G51 (Govan & Ibrox). This is just a very general guide as rents will even vary in these postcode districts.

Some relatively affordable areas I would consider would be:

1.Dennistoun. Often referred to as "the East End's West End", the flats here are slightly more affordable than in the real trendy West End.

2.Anniesland. This is a reasonable area to rent a flat in and has fairly good access to the West End of Glasgow.

3.Kinning Park. Has become ever more popular with the close proximity to Pacific Quay and the SECC, BBC Scotland and STV. It's not far to get into the city centre either.

4.Shawlands. A very popular area, so prices have risen, but worth a look.

5.Whiteinch. Located between Partick and Scotstoun, this is still a slightly more affordable area than some nearby.

6.Although close to the city centre, Woodlands is a very convenient location which might be slightly more affordable.

It's impossible to list every area that might suit. The above are just some possibilities and you will generally just have to visit and decide for yourself. One area can be a dream for one person and a nightmare for another - it's highly subjective!

With regard to violence, I love Glasgow and have never felt at all worried or unhappy there. It's problems are no worse that any other city in the world and you've just got to take the same common sense precautions as you would in any other city. I personally regard it as the friendliest city in the United Kingdom and, besides London, probably has the best shopping in the UK (The Glaswegians like to look good!)

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck

David

Thank you very much colinsmum and David for your very comprehensive answers. The reason we chose Scotland is because it is close to my wife`s family.Luckily I have an excellent credit record and have good references concerning renting.
Unemployment here where I live is above the 40% mark, so odds are still better for us job wise.

We will also correspond with some recruitment agencies and see if they will entertain applications from overseas.

The first time I went to the UK I jumped on the plane without even a place to sleep.Basically phoned my friend up when I landed at Gatwick and went from there.But things are quite different when you are married.Will just try my best to organize as much as I can before hand and keep the faith.

If you plan on touring Scotland, I recommend joining The Youth Hostel Association.

You can stay in castles, lodges, or even little huts in the middle of nowhere :lol:

You might even be able to use the Glasgow one for a week if it is cheaper than a hotel - but I have never stayed there so have no idea how good it is.

Just a thought.

Thank you.Will have a look. Another option I thought about is to find a live in "summer job" in a hotel as they are willing to hire people from overseas. Quite a few of my friends got jobs that way when they did their gap years. The advantage is that you have a job and a place to stay when you arrive. You can then organize finding other work,flat and build up some type of credit record. The disadvantage is the working hours and the pay is min wage. It is however not long term and at least you will make friends. I do not think it will work if you have children.

Luckily my wife and I are still young and we both have working experience in UK hotels. So I think I might take this route as it could solve the trouble of finding a flat and job and and and.

The employment situation is worse that you could possibly imagine. I have a stirling resume, and it took me about 9 weeks of constant searching to get a job (retail management) (I applied for over 120 jobs) But this is in Edinburgh.
Many of the Aussies I have met over here opted for live in jobs in smaller towns about the place with great luck.
Wish you the best for your travels

My partner and I moved from Australia to Edinburgh in December, having secured a lease without credit checks, and gaining a full time job I would recommend the following before leaving, and as soon as arriving.

- Contact recruitment consultants before leaving, and arrange appointments before arriving.
- Organise UK banks accounts before leaving.
- Get a National Insurance number, and UK driver's licence as soon as you can after arriving.
- There are more jobs on offer in Glasgow than Edinburgh, and Aberdeen may be an option if you are trade qualified.
- To secure a lease, we offered six months rent in advance, however did not have to pay it. It meant enough to the agent/landlord, that we were quite willing to. 

Job wise, the Scottish economy is not strong at the moment, and is an employers market rich with candidates. You will need to be very persistent when dealing with consultants, and I would suggest researching companies that you would like to work for and approach them direct. They may not be advertising, but this doesn't mean that they aren't recruiting.

Crime wise, Edinburgh thus far is very tame compared to other parts of the world, however everywhere has its less than desirable individuals. Glasgow has its own reputation.

Good Luck