We plan to live in Scotland for 6 months

@Julien
Hello! Thank you for the welcome!
We'll be moving to Aberdeen in July. Glad to see this forum and have some handy tips. We plan to live in Scotland for 6 mos. then come back to Texas for another 6 mos.
My question is…how long do I need to leave UK soil before returning to Scotland again to begin another 6 mos.? Husband and I are retired and have purchased a flat last summer. We have family in Aberdeen. Thank you for any info you may have.
Hi Hoeyjoy,

Welcome to expat.com!

Please note that your post has been moved to create a new discussion on the Scotland Forum.

I hope other members clarify that for you.

Vero
Expat.com team
@Julien
Hello! Thank you for the welcome!
We'll be moving to Aberdeen in July. Glad to see this forum and have some handy tips. We plan to live in Scotland for 6 mos. then come back to Texas for another 6 mos.
My question is…how long do I need to leave UK soil before returning to Scotland again to begin another 6 mos.? Husband and I are retired and have purchased a flat last summer. We have family in Aberdeen. Thank you for any info you may have.
- @hoeyjoy

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

To answer your specific question, on a tourist visa, once you have stayed in the UK for 6 months, you then have to leave for a minimum of 6 months before you can return.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team
@Cynic
Hello! I have a related question to the situation with the couple from Texas and your answer: you stated that after six months, you must leave the UK for a minimum of six months before returning. What if you are a dual-citizen, American passport AND Canadian passport. Can you then do a "revolving-door" where you leave after six months (came in on US passport) and then come right back in using the Canadian passport and have a six month stay?
@Cynic
Hello! I have a related question to the situation with the couple from Texas and your answer: you stated that after six months, you must leave the UK for a minimum of six months before returning. What if you are a dual-citizen, American passport AND Canadian passport. Can you then do a "revolving-door" where you leave after six months (came in on US passport) and then come right back in using the Canadian passport and have a six month stay?
- @melannleod

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

No, the 6-month limit is applicable to the individual, not the passport(s)/nationalities they may have.

Cynic
Expat Team

@Cynic Got it. Thanks!

Part II of my question…if I return to Scotland for my next 6 mos. is that only during the calendar year or is it a rolling 6 mos.?

Part II of my question…if I return to Scotland for my next 6 mos. is that only during the calendar year or is it a rolling 6 mos.?
-@hoeyjoy

6 months in a 12 month period; there must be at least 6 months between leaving, before you return .

@Cynic I needing clarification, so in other words- if I stay in Scotland for 4 mos. And then return a couple of months later, can I stay for only 2 months-total of 6?

@Cynic I needing clarification, so in other words- if I stay in Scotland for 4 mos. And then return a couple of months later, can I stay for only 2 months-total of 6?
-@hoeyjoy

Correct