Teaching diploma

Hi Everyone!

I am planning on moving to Mauritius soon to live permanently and at the moment I am trying to get information on teaching jobs.
I am currently living in the UK and have dual nationality (French/British). I have a teaching diploma (PGCE) and can teach French, Art and English to primary and secondary level.
Could anyone tell me if this diploma is recognized in Mauritius and if so could you also tell me where is the best place to search for teaching jobs..(websites,magazines..)?
If a school agrees to hire me, would they have to sort out the visa or do I have to apply for one before?
Many thanks for your help!
N.

lili1234 wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I am planning on moving to Mauritius soon to live permanently and at the moment I am trying to get information on teaching jobs.
I am currently living in the UK and have dual nationality (French/British). I have a teaching diploma (PGCE) and can teach French, Art and English to primary and secondary level.
Could anyone tell me if this diploma is recognized in Mauritius and if so could you also tell me where is the best place to search for teaching jobs..(websites,magazines..)?
If a school agrees to hire me, would they have to sort out the visa or do I have to apply for one before?
Many thanks for your help!
N.

You said you are coming to live permanently but then you asked whether the prospective employer will do all the paper work for your permit?
As a foreign national, you will be able to reside on the island only if you have a work permit. You can come either on a work permit ( salary less than Rs 45K) and your employer will have to apply to the Ministry of Labour /Employment as per this:
http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/empment/file/wpermit%20guidelines-jan%202010.pdf
or on an Occupational Permit ( salary equal to or above Rs 45K) delivered by the BOI as per :
http://www.worknlive.mu/menuid4.aspx

FYI: As a non-citizen worker, you may apply for a permanent resident permit ( after 3 yrs working on  the island)  if your salary exceeds 150,000 rupees per month . The permanent residence visa is valid for 10 years. However, be forewarned that the govt is NOT delivering these permanent residence permits these days.

Since you do speak French, I will advise you to check the French Forum ( cliquez sur le drapeau de la France en haut de la page) for more pertinent info since it is a very active forum and most topics have been discussed- from work permit to private schools.If you are teaching in the UK , you will be able to do so in the private schools on the island . Here is a thread about 2 schools and there is even a teacher of one of these schools who posted .

Another thread on the private school discussion on the English  forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6016

Hi,
first of all, you need to know that most schools will not have a job for you because they will only employ Mauritian citizens for peanuts of course. But if you can teach English to kids then send a CV to the Ecole du Centre, we're going to need an extra English teacher and there should be a post created next year as well.
You can also try the other French schools, or the top-class private English schools. That's about all you can do, or you can try the MIT perhaps.
The schools will take care of your visa.

Cheers.

Hi

Thank you for your messages.
I had a look on the "Ecole du Centre" website and it seems to be a really nice school. Before I send my CV and letter to apply I have a few questions:

- would they require the CV and letter sent in French or in English?
-is my PGCE recognized over there as on the website they are asking for a "licence ou plus"?
-Could you explain me this part as I am not sure I understand what they mean:
"De par son statut, l'école ne dispose d'aucun poste d'enseignant résident. On peut donc y travailler en y postulant par courrier adressé au directeur. Si le candidat est titulaire de l'Education Nationale , il pourra être, après accord du Ministère de l'Education Nationale, en détachement administratif."
-And you mentioned a MIT.What is it exactly please?
Many thanks for all your help.
N.