Salam Fellow Expats and Company

Hi,

I've just joined the forum and figured I'd jump in with a short introduction.  So-here's everything you could want to know about me.

I've been in Kuwait for two months and teach computers and English at a ladies college.  I moved here from Denver but am originally from Virginia.

I speak English, and a little French.  I speak even less Arabic, but I'm working on it!  I love the Arabic language, and it's my dream to someday be fluent. (though it's currently looking like someday might be years and years away!)

I love to read.  Favorite authors include Douglas Adams, Robert Rankin, Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley....and I could go on and on.  I also love to travel and am hoping to start exploring the region soon.  I'm also open to trying new things-I just want to get out there, meet some new people, and get involved!

And finally-I'm the world's worst introduction writer.  I flatter myself that I'm much more interesting in person than I am via introduction paragraph. ;-)

Can't wait to get to know you all!

Welcome on board cheltgirl :)

nice presentation, thank you !

cheltgirl wrote:

And finally-I'm the world's worst introduction writer.  I flatter myself that I'm much more interesting in person than I am via introduction paragraph. ;-)

hi

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, if this introduction is the worst then I'm wondering what would be a good introduction. I think I sould take your services to write a preamble for my book in advance which I may write about me in the faaaaaaarr future....lolz

You introduced yourself very well here.

I hope that you'll enjoy your stay in Kuwait and if you love and want to learn Arabic language properly then join AWARE center in Surra.

Welcum! :)

welcome onboard...good to have you here...

Cheers :D

aajaaooooo chelt gal,,,,,,,,,,,,,we will have fun and friends in kuwait

wel come cheltgirl

y u  know only little

:rolleyes::D
I speak English, and a little French.  I speak even less Arabic, but I'm working on it

i m looking more abt ur side :D

by best yours

basha kmb

heyy nice to meet yaa
i been here for four monthss..
from chicago

ahmadkwt wrote:

I hope that you'll enjoy your stay in Kuwait and if you love and want to learn Arabic language properly then join AWARE center in Surra.

I am actually taking Arabic at Aware right now.  Just graduated from Level 1-WAHOO! 

Do you attend many of their events?  Maybe I've seen you there!

@AmericanArabGirl-where are you working/living? Are you enjoying yourself so far?

@shameerkmb-I love languages, but haven't had much opportunity to use them to practice.  I'm hoping to change that!  I've tried having conversations in Arabic-but they're REALLY short and pretty basic.  Inshallah I'll be better soon.

@MYTHBUSTER-Is your handle a reference to the Myth Busters show?  I LOVE that show! :-)

@Julien/Idrees Khan/eazyyass-many thanks for the warm welcome!  Glad to be here.

waoo...great....:)

i also did first level from there and now planning to join second level.
Just now i am coming from aware center. There was an event there. Were you there today?

assalam alikum

@shameerkmb-I love languages, but haven't had much opportunity to use them to practice.  I'm hoping to change that!  I've tried having conversations in Arabic-but they're REALLY short and pretty basic.  Inshallah I'll be better soon.

mmmm keep on trie hartley u get jannath also and u want learn about indian languages keep in touch with me i know indian 5 languages

by yours best

regards

basha kmb

ahmadkwt wrote:

waoo...great....:)

i also did first level from there and now planning to join second level.
Just now i am coming from aware center. There was an event there. Were you there today?

The dinner with the man from KFAS?- I was there!  I'll be in 2A next session too.

Yea I attended that event with the man from KFAS....:)
It was very good I think. I didn't know before that there are inventors in kuwait as well.

Hi

to be fluent in arabic, u need someone to practice with, the basics are reading, but the problem of practice is dialects :/

all those subtitles in movies are classical arabic, and nobody speaks like that, so depending on ur preferred posse, u will assimilate their dialect

tho arabic is not like hindi, kuwaitis can understand lebanese who can understand egyptians who can understand syrians who can understand saudis. its just a few words, here and there, that have complete different meanings.

for example, the kuwaiti term for rice is "aysh" (also means what, but pronounced differently), whilst in egyptian, "aysh" is bread!

so, good luck to you on mastering the arabic language, i see you doing it real soon!