Emergency leave

Hello all,

I am from India, i just came in Oman one month before. now i need to go back to my home country for specific reason, now i asked for the leave to the company, now company is demanding I need to pay R.O 500 as a bond, i said i need this words as written, but they are will not give this on written, now they are holding my passport, they are compelling me do the job as they said, Also i did not get any employment contract or I did not signed one. In my labour card my Job position is different which i am posted in the company. Please advice me on this.

This is too complex, I cant wholly crucify the company coz asking for leave after a month is not an everyday slice of bread.probably, they think you want to disappear for good now they are already counting this as a loss.you are an investment awaiting damages.I think the amount is wgat they spent on your visa+ ticker n other expenses. Honestly this is a tough one

aj94496 wrote:

Hello all,

I am from India, i just came in Oman one month before. now i need to go back to my home country for specific reason, now i asked for the leave to the company, now company is demanding I need to pay R.O 500 as a bond, i said i need this words as written, but they are will not give this on written, now they are holding my passport, they are compelling me do the job as they said, Also i did not get any employment contract or I did not signed one. In my labour card my Job position is different which i am posted in the company. Please advice me on this.

Notify your Embassy as it is illegal for the company to hold your passport. Your passport is the property of the country that issued it and has been issued to you as a citizen of that country. Also explain to the Embassy all the problems you are facing with your employer.

Honestly I don't think the Embassy is going to take much of action into this subject, strangely holding passports seems to be the modus operandi in Oman for many companies when it comes to expat workers. It is illegal, but its not like the embassy doesn't know about this practice.

However, you should have insisted for an employment offer letter, generally within the first three months (or) the probationary period, it would be very hard to get a leave sanctioned even for personal reasons. Would asking some relative / family member calling your company and explaining your situation, help the issue ??

aj94496 wrote:

Hello all,

Hi aj94496,

If an employee wants to go back within just a month of joining a company, obviously it will set the alarm bells ringing for the employer. They have already invested in bringing you over and if you do not return for whatever reason, they would be incurring a loss. That's why they are demanding a 'caution deposit' from you.

But not giving it in writing, not releasing your passport, clear discrepancies in your job position and title are all common irregularities committed by small-time, unscrupulous employers who con gullible expat employees to bite their bait. You are hooked now.

The fault does not all lie with your employer. On your part, you have been very careless and utterly irresponsible in taking up a job in a foreign country without so much as a proper signed and sealed Employment Contract. Now since nothing is on paper, your employer can twist the facts to his benefit and advantage.

Still your only hope is to go to the Indian Embassy and lodge a formal complaint. But without any official documents, I really do not know how much they can be of help and assistance.

Good luck.