ICEAT Job Offer -anybody has info or experience to share on them?

Dear Fellow Expats - I am not yet in Riyadh but seriously considering job offer by ICEAT in Riyadh, to work at King Saud University.
Just wondered if anyone here had any experience or info to share about the company/accommodation/contract and general approach.
It feels a bit daunting to put all one's trust in unknown entity in very different culture and coming as a single woman, I just wonder what I will face?
Thanks for any insights shared.
Hypatiea

ICEAT is one of the better contracting companies in KSA. I'm told they pay on time. Only issue is the female accommodation isn't the greatest and it's kinda far from the Uni. Check out the forums on Dave's ESL Cafe for more info.

Thanks LondonChapAJ
Appreciate the info and advice. It all feels a bit daunting and ICEAT are pushing to have a decision from me in a day or two.

What is your offer like? What is holding you back the most?

Hi Rareshine
Thanks for responding. The pay I have been offered is the same as another company but for that job, the posting could be anywhere in the country. I would prefer the stability of living and working in one place for the duration of the contract which ICEAT is assuring. But  I have seen some info that ICEAT's accommodation is not good, and far from the King Saud Uni. I don't fancy two hours travelling per day, on top of an 8.00 or 9.00 hour working day. So that is my reservation, along with how closely are you monitored re your moral an political beliefs?
What has your experience been like?

You won't be travelling that far. You will probably have a half hour journey each way MAX. And you only teach for 4 hours so you have plenty of time to rest.

I think ICEAT are pushing you for a decision ASAP as they need teachers to be out ideally next week. Also I'm assuming your female and the demand for female teachers is really high.

I understand your concern. I wouldn't want to travel that far either. I have no connection with them except what I read from others. "Back in the day" (not that far back) expat women were allowed to get accomodation allowance, making finding their own abode easy. now, I'm hearing about some new rules that Saudi doesn't not want expat women living alone, how true of false that is still left to be deciphered.

I also know that they do not just give u 4 hrs of teaching.. If they need you, you will teach more than 4 hrs.king saud is notorious for long days and even requests for overtime. You're able to refuse that, but some love it due to extra $.

If transportation is provided, and I assume that it is, you may meet some friends on the bus that would make the travel more enjoyable.
One thing is for sure, it's really difficult to gage a situation, the pros n cons, until you're actually there- experiencing it.

Hi There Londonchap and Wanderlust

Thank you so much for posting ...  I guess you never know till you bite the bullet. I will just have to weigh the pros and cons...  I would like to hope for the best but knowing how things pan out in colleges in the uk, I should expect the worst !
: )
which industry /kind of jobs are you in and are the employers sort of what you expected ?

The accommodation the ICEAT teachers are staying in is only temporary, so we've been told. I am living with a group of 15+ other ICEAT teachers in a hotel near the airport somewhere.  We were informed that we would be moved after a month. So far they have been pretty good, if a little disorganised. We were provided an initial food package, a mobile phone and a 2000 SAR pay advance. ESL employers can be sketchy at the best of times but "so far" they have lived up to what they said they would.

He there GBD
Thanks so much for posting and sharing your info.That sounds quite promising. How far is the accommodation form King Saud University? Is the place you are staying at called Malaga Hotel?
I guess the term is beginning quite soon. have you been provided with any guidance re learning materials? I am so pleased to hear that your experience is positive so far. Hope it  is not too much of a culture shock.
All the best
H

I heard it is around an hour or so from the university but we will be moved much closer to the campus, I guess we are here because it is close to ICEAT Head Office and the place we need to do the medical at. It isn't the Malaga Hotel, it is some place call Lewan Hotel, female teachers are kept separate from us accommodation wise.

One thing you may not have been told is that you will have to do a short second interview at KSU as a formality, I guess that is so they can see we are not going to do anything stupid in the classrooms by asking us a few probing questions, after all they don't want teachers who will say things against the belief system here.

The material we are going to use is New Headway "Saudi Edition", it is I guess a doctored version with some material changed or removed. We are due to start physical teaching on 31/08 or 01/09 I think.

Hi there GBD
Thanks for this detail... I hope you feel you are settling in well and you find at least  one or two like minded spirits amongst the other teachers.
One of my friends from Uni days was in Jeddah, living in a compound  a few years back, and he felt totally isolated as he said the other expats were arrogant old colonial types !!!

:whistle:

All the other teachers seem nice enough, I have only met male colleagues so far. It is a good mixture from mid twenties up to mid fifties and mainly British. I must admit Riyadh seems a little weird at the moment, but I am happy enough so far.  Have you decided whether to come or not?

It's my third year working for ICEAT and I can't be happier. They are one of the best and the most honest companies in Riyadh.

Hello,
I need some information regarding ICEAT, as they will be coming to the UK for their recruitment drive.
1. What are they like as recruiters?
2. Can you share your recent experience of working with them?
3. Do they fulfil their side of the contract?
4. What kind of salary can I expect with 3-4 years of ESL teaching experience?

Don't do it under any circumstance.

Been there and done it.

Lies to get you there.

Complete climate of fear among teachers as schools don't like teachers who ask questions or who question lack of security/la knot communication/lack of adequate housing/lack of actual decent human standards of living.

Awful place

Wouldn't do it again for a million

International schools in Saudi are a complete law onto themselves.

Thank you for your post.

Were you contracted by ICEAT it self, or did you just have a bad experience in Saudi (which is not uncommon).

Are you currently employed as an ESL teacher in KSA?

Yes I also need sone guidance
I applied online and i was asked to send all the documents with a video recording few points . In a few days I received a job offer
- does this mean I have got the job or will I have to face another interview with PNU

- I have read many posts about PNU discouraging people, are things still bad.? .can there be a possibility where I may be able to survive ?
-I am also not a white skinned national, does this mean I will be treated differently?

Would be grateful if someone can help TIA