Moving again, what do you suggest? looking for a new place to live

Hi,

thank you for using some time to read of my doubs about my life.
I'm italian and with my boyfriend we left our country2 months, looking for something different, better life, better job condition, better weather (we came from the north and we would like to live part of our lives near the seaside!) and after months of research we decided to move to Australia. My patner is an industrial  designer (master and 2 y of experience) he was able to find a job from home in Melbourne and we moved in October 2013.
Melbourne is wonderful, good people, quite good weather, beatiful beaches but unfortunatrly it is not what we are looking for. it is not so simple to be an immigrant in Australia, with a lot of burocracy, and thousend of thousend of problems.
we are thinking to move somewhere else but we need to find a place where my boyfriend will be able to practise his profession, a place where creativity is appreciate and where there are companies working in creativity field.

If you have any suggestion, please let us know, we have time until February to decide where to move.

Thanks in advance

Marta e andrea

Hi,

I think you're going to find that no matter where you go there is going to be bureaucracy involved with immigrating to a new country. It can be frustrating I know, but it sounds  like you are both expecting things to happen right away, and with immigrations they just don't. I can tell you there are lots of worse places you could be in. Australia seems to be everything you're looking for except it doesn't satisfy your sense of urgency, doesn't take away your rush to get through. Maybe this is really something you both need to deal with rather than thinking of a move. The bureaucracy will be the same or worse elsewhere. Here in Brazil for example it is crushing. It is like watching the classic 1951 movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" for the tenth time.

Be patient, breathe deeply and relax. Work on your issues surrounding rushing into things and make the best of what you've got right now. I'm sure you will thank me later if you follow this advice. Young people are often too impulsive for their own good. All too soon you're both going to be old like me, then you won't be able to rush anymore. Just remember that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence; because it's probably growing above a huge septic tank.

Cheers,
William James Woodward

Wjwoodward is correct in most what he says. I think you need to have some patience.
Some countries have more and some countries less of bureacrazy. I think a country where the bureaucrazy is not so big and where expats is very welcome is UAE.
Since UAE is growing fast in many industries there would be a lot of potential work for him, as well as for you.
The pay for Europeans is usually high and the cost of living is many times quite low.
There is 7 Emirates in UAE, some laws are general for the whole country and some laws are special in each Emirate. Dubai Emirate is the one with most liberal (European style) laws and culture where there is jobs around.
If you move to UAE you can live in Dubai and either work there or in Abu Dhabi or Sharja Emirate. The petrol/diesel cost is very very low so it will hardly affect your economy with a little travel.
The downside is the traffic, not in that it is particularly crowded but more that people drive like complete maniacs being dangers to themselves and others.

Come to nigeria I think its just the best place to be

Start doing some serious research. What suits others may not necessarily suit you.
First look at the ease of visa / residency permits etc.
Next look at jobs or setting up a business. What paperwork is involved in this.
Cost of living
I would pick say 3 countries, research them then visit them to get a feel for the place.
Cambodia is probably the easiest country to get into visa wise and find a job.

i will advise you to stay in australia and adapt to the culture. gradually you get used to it. i wish you good luck

Mapatua wrote:

Hi,

thank you for using some time to read of my doubs about my life.
I'm italian and with my boyfriend we left our country2 months, looking for something different, better life, better job condition, better weather (we came from the north and we would like to live part of our lives near the seaside!) and after months of research we decided to move to Australia. My patner is an industrial  designer (master and 2 y of experience) he was able to find a job from home in Melbourne and we moved in October 2013.
Melbourne is wonderful, good people, quite good weather, beatiful beaches but unfortunatrly it is not what we are looking for. it is not so simple to be an immigrant in Australia, with a lot of burocracy, and thousend of thousend of problems.
we are thinking to move somewhere else but we need to find a place where my boyfriend will be able to practise his profession, a place where creativity is appreciate and where there are companies working in creativity field.

If you have any suggestion, please let us know, we have time until February to decide where to move.

Thanks in advance

Marta e andrea

Hi there,

How about Sicily or Sardinia, it's nice weather there, you need not so much paperwork to settle like you need it overseas?
How about anywhere in European Union?

wjwoodward wrote:

Hi,

I think you're going to find that no matter where you go there is going to be bureaucracy involved with immigrating to a new country. It can be frustrating I know, ...
Cheers,
William James Woodward

Hi Will,
There is an exception when the immigration process is pleasurable.
You have to arrive in your 154ft. yacht, and you donate US$500K to charities to show your strength (not that you care too much about them).
Those who watch for things like these will immediately open the door for you and the paperwork for your relocation will be done in less than a week.

Don't believe me?
Actor Gerard Depardieu left France in disgust for the introduction of new taxes for the rich in France and settled in Belgium. Gerard's move made headlines on the Internet for months.  His move was very inspired to say the least, because only two weeks later, Russia's president, Putin, offered him honorary Russian citizenship.
Gerard was too smart to refuse such state sponsored courtesy and traveled to Russia to meet the President.
Over dinner, Putin handed Gerard his new passport ... No waiting in line, no endless visits to the Immigration office, no more papers needed, no delays, no stupidity ...

Such story happens only to people who built themselves up to be loved and respected.  One must be highly connected, and it seems one must have a big mouth (like Gerard) so as to make himself heard far and wide.  :cool:

Success comes from small steps. Why not to you?  :(

(PS: I do not mean you William, just generally speaking).

Hello,
I live in Vietnam now. It 's a quite safe country, beautiful sunshine all year long. My boyfriend is from Ireland. He works as a English teacher in here. Many people come Ho chi minh city every year in district 1, district 7. Foreigners work as many different jobs. One of my customer works as an engineer. So I am sure your boyfriend can get a job in here. Especially everything in here very cheep, like 1 tiger beer 13.000 VND ( 21.000 VND = 1 dollar), a bag of cigarette : 24000 VND
You can get some information about working in here : vietnamworks.com
I can get you as an English teacher any time you want in Vietnam.
Have a nice weekend.
Ami Nguyen

Hi to all,

thank you very much for all your suggestions. and happy new year..you gave me some very good ideas and I'm trying to solve the problem in the shortest time. I considered UAE and Singapore but we also consider to be back to Europe and move to the Netherlands or UK where creativity is really appreciate and are based on a modern consception of work. we went there for holidays so, we can easily immagine how could our lives there. we need only to overcome the problem of weather, but can be ok. What you think about these places? there is anyone that can confirm they are good places where to find a creative job?
I'm sorry but we will not be able to start living in Cambogia or Nigeria because will be too hard for us to move in a really different place as those.
Sicily and Sardinia are having serious problems with job opportunities  and will not really convinient to move there for us.
I will keep considering UAE and Singapore and i'm seek new information on Vietnam.
thank you all and I wish you a wonderful 2014!!!

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR