Assessment of life and job opportunity in Dubai

Hi all,

I ve been tru the forum and I grab here and there some very interesting and relevant infos already.

I have some additionnals focusing on what can u expect from dubai ?

I m french qnd wish to combine 3 objectives :
# abroad xperience
# saving money with better pack
# enjoy nice life with my wife and son of 4months

So my questions are focusing on objectives 2 and 3 :

* can u still make money in dubai or is this period over for white collar ?

* can women work easily ? my wife is audit manager
* what difference in cost of living : familly are between 150 and 200 KAED a year.
* are traffic jam so bad ? worse than Paris or London ?
* for young kid, is the climate and environment recommamded ?
* where are the nice areas to live in ?
* if local contract++ , how does it work for medical ? I have special pills to use
* How different is the business and life from Europe ?
* Can u enjoy entertainment and leisure or do you have to sell your arm for any activity ?  (tennis, squash, sailing, horse riding, ....); not than I do this everyday home,but would be nice to enjoy this

And finally what are the con's for not coming to Dubai ?

Thx for your feedback

* can u still make money in dubai or is this period over for white collar ?

The salary packages are not as good as they were before the recession but they can still be very good.

* can women work easily ? my wife is audit manager

Yes, women work, drive, go out on their own etc etc - just like in Europe.

* what difference in cost of living : familly are between 150 and 200 KAED a year.

I don't know how it compares with France. We have hypermarkets such as Carrefour & Geant here, maybe you can check prices with their websites.

* are traffic jam so bad ? worse than Paris or London ?

They can be bad but are not as bad as London or Paris.

* for young kid, is the climate and environment recommamded ?

I think so. Schools are good but expensive, sports is good,k beaches are good.

* where are the nice areas to live in ?

First you need a job, then try to find somewhere not too far from it. Some employers still provide accommodation, others give an accommodation allowance.

* if local contract++ , how does it work for medical ? I have special pills to use.

You should negotiate for medical insurance (for the whole family) to be included in your salary package.

* How different is the business and life from Europe ?

It's not very different. Business works in much the same ways, many of the companies are European anyway.

* Can u enjoy entertainment and leisure or do you have to sell your arm for any activity ?  (tennis, squash, sailing, horse riding, ....); not than I do this everyday home,but would be nice to enjoy this

Some clubs are expensive but activities need not be expensive.

And finally what are the con's for not coming to Dubai ?

Summer weather. Endless construction. Transport infrastructure still in its early stages. Laws can be very different from what you're used to. Very long working hours are normal.

Hi seabee

and thanks for your answer.

I might come with a baby of 6 months ans still wonder if kids are not more sick with aircond & high temperature;

Also, the company will be based in
Jebel Ali Free Zone P.O

Where do u advice to live ?

Thx