Indian community and housing in Kuwait

Hello All, I'm considering an offer in Kuwait, and may move there in 2 months. Being an Indian, I feel it'd be comfortable and 'home like'if I reside in a predominantly Indian area in Kuwait.

Having read thru past posts in EB I come to know Shuwaikh is mostly Kuwaiti villa area, so are there similar areas where Indian community is more? What are average rent prices in these areas?

if you'd be comfortable in a predominantly indian area, i suggest you try www.indiansinkuwait.com

Thanks Legacy, the 'predominantly Indian' statement holds only for accommodation and over the internet I still prefer EB :D. That said, I think IIK also offers quite good insights on living in Kuwait, not just for Indian expats, but to others as well, so its worth a try. Only that I feel the forums over there are not interactive as it is here..

And I also feel that the Indian participation here is too constrained to 'My salary is XXX KD is that sufficient' posts. No offence meant fellow Indians, but I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys on the Indian community over there. After all I presume, Indian expats form a major chunk of the overall expats living in Kuwait..

the biggest chunk I believe :)

the problem is everyone is always asking, is my salary enough? should i ask for more?

the problem with this question is that it is too generic, too general and has way too many variables to be answered by a bunch of helpful nutters on a forum, no offence to anyone out there :)

if you are looking for a predominantly Indian community to live in, I would suggest Salmiya, from Amman St. to Baghdad St.

I take it your job is located in Shuwaikh, you will not find accommodation there. in the end, all living areas are almost equidistant from your work, whether you go for Salmiya, Farwaniya or Riqqi.

also looking for accommodation online will only yield you the most expensive, and not most convenient, ones.

Dear Friends,

I got an job offer of 900 KD. Company is not providing any accommodation.

I will be moving there with my family.

Can you please suggest what will be monthly rent for 1 BHK furnished flat in Kuwait City and other cost of living ?

Regards,

Uddhav

Hi,

Most of Indians are in Salmiya.
You can get 1 BHK in 200 KD & 2 BHK for 220 to 250 KD.

Thanks.

Thanks legacy and aaakol

Aaakol and Legacy are spot on!

So let me give you a very direct answer, which am sure you are going to appreciate. Indians live in concentration at two areas - Abbasiya and Salmiya. Abbasiya has a predominantly Keralite crowd; however, if you can afford anythign beyond KD150, i will suggest you don't stay there - unless you would like to see overflowing sewage and 'kachra' strewn everywhere.

The other place you can stay is in Salmiya Block 10. This is where you will find yourself absolutely at home. Infact in the evening if you walk around, don't get surprised to bump into you office mates either. When i came here 6 months back, everyone said this is the place to be for Indians.

Obviously rates differ from place to place. Abbasiya will be a lot cheaper than Salmiya. A 1 BHK will cost you in the range of 170-210 KD in Salmiya Block 10; a 2 BHK can set you back by 220-300KD. There are serviced apartments you can rent, but add a 100-150KD to the aforementioned rates.

Another word of advice, don't get too perturbed by the rates, because as in most GCC countries, housing forms the majority of your expenses, and here in Kuwait, it can be as high as 70% of your expense.

Wow, thanx Eagle, for sharing such a wealth of info!!

Plz contact me I need 1BHK my no is 66753453

Hello Shaikh,

Welcome to expat.com!

This discussion was unfortunately last active 9 years ago. It is highly unlikely that you any response here.

I invite you to create a new discussion on the Kuwait forum.

Thanks,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

[DISCUSSION CLOSED]

Closed