Successful job interview in Oman

Hi,

passing a job interview in Oman can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in Oman ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in Oman : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

My interview took place mid June and the thing I recall is the humidity. A taxi had been arrangened to collect me from the hotel and take me to the interview location. As soon as I step outside the heat hit me and I began to sweat in places I never knew I had. By the time I arrived I was drenched and must have looked a sorry sight by the time I was ushered into the interview. Thankfully I was not judged on my appearance but by what I knew and I landed the job. On the plus side, if you are nervous at interview the dripping from the heat may mask it. My advise is think carefully about what you are going to wear, being wet and clammy is not a good look. The interview team have no doubt seen it all before and I suspect they took this into account. Still in Oman and still enjoying the Expat lifestyle.

EMPLOYERS ARE LOOKING FOR:

Someone who:

HAS A STABLE WORK HISTORY
IS RESPONSIBLE
CAN TAKE DIRECTION
IS MANAGEABLE/MANAGE IF REQUIRED
HAS THE ABILITY TO DO THE JOB
HAS A WILLINGNESS TO DO THE JOB
HAS GREAT COMMUNICATION SKILLS
HAS GREAT PEOPLE SKILLS
CAN BLEND WITH COMPANY CULTURE
IS A TEAM PLAYER
BODY LANGUAGE-NEUROLINGUISTICS

HERE IS WHAT YOU WILL NOT DO:

DON'T TALK ABOUT SALARY. If pressured, tell them what you made NOT WHAT YOU EXPECT. Say your agency has requested the opportunity to negotiate.
DON'T say you want MANAGEMENT: If there are no Management positions available, then you will NOT GET THE JOB. Say instead, I wish to find a good home and grow with a company.
DO NOT TALK ABOUT RELIGION, POLITICS, or express your views on sensitive issues.
DO NOT ASK ABOUT BENEFITS. The company is NOT hiring you for what it can do for you. They are hiring because of what you can do for them. Leave this question for your agent.
DO NOT SAY I'M A GOOD LEARNER. The company is not paying you so you can learn. Say instead, that "I'm the kind of person, that if I do not know something, I will do whatever it takes, work nights, weekends to bring myself up to speed."
DON'T EVER BADMOUTH YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER OR ANYONE ELSE. If asked why you are leaving your current job, say something like, "Our management styles are different, or I am ready for new challenges".
DO NOT wear Cologne or Perfume. If your interviewer is allergic, he will cut the interview short and may not hire you.
Make sure you stock up on breath fresheners. Interviews are usually held in small rooms and odor permeates.

Hello dear juli,

i am from Oman , and it is true what our friend said,

i have brife benifite for those who search 4 jop:

1- u must show ur diser to work in the u apply 4.
2- u must have background about the company that u will apply 4.
3- Do not speak about the salary but say " salary is important in life but the work is the most important " and ask 4 rang of the position .
4- show ur achivement and what u can do.
5- do not speak about other field , i mean u must only about ur speciliazation .

that what i remember right now .
if u want any thigs else u welcom

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your inputs ;)

Armand