Expatriate dilemma..To tell the truth or let them crash?

I was looking over a post today that made me cringe. They were asking questions and by the way that they wrote and commented  I saw they were heading for total disaster.

Besides living in the country for almost 4 years I have also lived in Mexico for 3 years, so I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. But I do know what it takes to make it here. 

I have seen Central America chew up and spit out many people. I estimate that one in ten will make it. A good percentage are doomed from the start. The results can be devastating... divorce, financial ruin and worse. I even know of a guy that was shipped back to his home county in a straight jacket.

So the question is do I shatter their ideas right now and have them and others hate me for doing it or do I ignore it and let them possibly destroy their lives?

Oh,yes they also posted incorrect information, so if I do not say anything other people will have information that is not even close to correct. So it will effect others that read the thread.

Thinking out loud but would like your thoughts...

Tell them the truth or let them crash?

Found the solution.

Thanks for listening.

Is this Mic on? ;)

is it really that extreme? I see plenty of people with hairbrained ideas of how simple things will be and I just explain the facts of the situation. No you can't buy citizenship, yes they care if you have a job, yes you can be detained if your visa is expired.

I consider my job is done as best I can do it if I tell them what I know, and if they choose to ignore it and try anyway, that's their problem. Maybe they'll succeed, maybe it'll cause them to crash, but how are you so totally certain they will? Some people seem to glide through situations that would take others down.

Just like with relationships, you can't tell people what to do and expect they'll listen, plus, you don't know all the facts of their case anyway.

ECS,thanks for your comment.

I have already started to deal with the issue. Both in that countries forum (though a different thread than the one that bothered me) and in the "Brothers keeper" thread in this one.

If it was a fine country like Iceland you would not have seen this post. But there is an entire industry that is promoting certain counties in Central America as something that they are not,there is a problem.

Now if this was just an adult not doing their homework, well that is one thing.

But when it involves bringing young children it is another issue. I really do not care if an adult makes a foolish mistake. However bringing innocent children into the mix changes everything. They can suffer because of their parents foolish choices.

Then you have a person with an agenda promoting something and not giving even close to correct information.

Is it really that extreme? Come on down to the third world. Go to a "conference" that sells you on the idea. Bring you toddlers down to move...then you tell me.

If I had kids there is no way I would bring them down here.
That is the bottom line.

But again I figured out how to deal with the situation and will continue to do so.

it is best to regret something you did, that have remorse over soemthing you did not do.

speak the truth as you see it, and have lived it, bank on your experience, you can do no more than that, you can take a horse to water but u cannot make it drink.

depending on the person reading what the others are writing, they may gladly accept your views as the god honest truth, and that u have no financial vest in this, or go ahead with their conviction, to a better, or worse end, is up to them to decide.

you can only speak your mind, and that is your god given right.

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR