Import and duties payable on a vintage car (1981 model)

I am importing a 1981 Mercedes from South Africa. The vehicle is considered to be "vintage" here in Mauritius? What are the duties payable as well as total amount payable

I am very curious of the answers you'll have.

I think I've read only brand new s (less that one year) could be imported in Mauritius.

@marclbd4 No idea, but an interesting question. You could ask Mercedes Mauritius for an answer. I was told only cars up to 4 years old could be imported for private use, but have no idea about vintage cars.

I have already been issued with an import permit by Mauritian authorities. All I really now need is confirmation of the amount of duty once the vehicle arrives and no one, including the shipper can give me an answer. It is quite frustrating...

I am aware that vintage vehicle's ( cars) can be imported into MU,,,however I own beautiful award winning vintage motorcycles and am told these can never be allowed into Mauritius, which seems to be rather absurd if cars are allowed?

I am very much interested to hear from marclbd4  who he contacted for the import permit on his vintage car?

@marclbd4 so I hear. Once the car is here, you may be asked the original price! Then they will calculate how much duty to be paid depending on actual age of the car. I think there is a formula they use for the calculation. However, your vintage car may cause some head-scratching! By the way, what fuel does the car need, and is it available in Mauritius?

@peterg123 Speak to Autograph cars in Cottage. They may be able to assist you. I am not up to speed on limitations but some are specific, for example no left hand drive cars are permitted. I am learning as I go along...

@Tookays I now understand that 15% VAT is payable when the vehicle lands based on a value determined by Mauritian authorities. Should be interesting as there is no guide price for this particular model. I will be happy to pay the SA invoice price, though.

@marclbd4 The fuel used is normal 95 octane petrol, so no problems there...