Health insurance for German citizen with US job working remotely

I'm a dual US/German citizen with a US-based job and a typical Blue Cross / Blue Shield health plan. I work remotely. I was thinking of spending some time in Europe. My health plan covers emergency care abroad but nothing else. I was thinking of getting a travel medical policy, but since I'm also an EU citizen I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use the citizenship to my advantage to qualify for good European health coverage if I establish residency in an EU country (preferably without having to pay huge monthly amounts out of pocket).

In Germany (I assume you are asking about the rules here, since you posted thison the Germany forum - for other EU countries please refer to separate forums!), all residents must have German health insurance. There are very few exeptions fro this (e.g. for foreign diplomatic or military staff) and no foreign or travel health insurance fulfills the requirements.

For a self-employed (as which you will be classified without local employer), the contributions in the public scheme start at approx. 190€/month and go up with your income - the private scheme costs more, but might offer better coverage (read the fineprint!.

There is no scope for negotiations or discounts based on having a foreign insurance.

As long as you come for short visits only and don't establish a residence (which is, I think, defined as living two weeks or more in one place) and don't perform any paid work here (incl. remote work!), you are seen as visitor and not subject to these rules - so foreign travel insurance is sufficient.

I'm a dual US/German citizen with a US-based job and a typical Blue Cross / Blue Shield health plan. I work remotely. I was thinking of spending some time in Europe. My health plan covers emergency care abroad but nothing else. I was thinking of getting a travel medical policy, but since I'm also an EU citizen I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use the citizenship to my advantage to qualify for good European health coverage if I establish residency in an EU country (preferably without having to pay huge monthly amounts out of pocket).
-@trainrider76

Naïve wishful thinking. Without residency you cannot do this. You are limited to travel insurance for anything your Blue Cross won't cover. But I don't see what more is needed. All emergency services will be covered with adequate travel insurance. Things like elective surgeries are paid out of pocket in European countries anyway. So what advantage would you have?

And to get residency is a complicated thing with many consequences. One actually has to reside most of the year in a country. Just visiting once in a while doesn't work. And one will have to pay for coverage like everyone else and usually file taxes on all earnings world-wide. What you indicate is trying to get the benefits (and more) of having residency without any of the costs or consequences. Actually sounds like a huge effort with few potential benefits.

-@trainrider76

How long is some time and if you intend to visit several countries, how long in each country?

Is your plan to travel around Europe for a few months or to more or less move to a specific country?