Wedding in Tunisia

Hello to all.

I am a French citizen of Algeria origin and am in a relationship with a French / Tunisian woman living in France as well. The parents of my fiancée living in Tunisia are demanding me to buy their daughter an accommodation in Tunisia prior to the wedding. So, I replied that I am unable to cope financially because I already owe an accommodation in France and we are going to live in it together, but they insist that I must fulfil their request. 

Be honest, I have never heard of this kind of requirement in any other Arab country and apparently Tunisia remains an exception. Furthermore, I put this marriage decision on hold.

I would appreciate your opinion and experience on this topic because it sounds like a scam, thank you in advance
It is not common.. it is a specific demand of your fiancé family only.
Good luck to convince them!
Hi
if you buy a house keep it on your proprietary for precaution
Thank you Aymeen, sorry I forgot to clarify this. The parents of my fiancee in Tunisia wants me to buy a house in Tunisia and give 50% to my fiancee as a security and all this prior to the wedding. I of course trust my fiancee but the risk is that if there is an unlike quick divorce I lose 50% at the start and possible the entire property. Her parents told me this is a common procedure in Tunisia but I highly doubt is is untrue.
if she loves you really she doesn't accept this kind of of barter. take a word with her about her opinion, the procedure in tunisia is depending the agreement between the couple it is not a law
Why do you think so many Tunisian nationals (male) leave their country to marry western women !!!

The expectation's from a women's family is huge, they expect a house, big wedding, jewellery and money..one would need to win the lottery and yes families are very greedy especially knowing you live in Europe !! They think our paths are paved in gold

9 times out of 10 in will end in divorce they will be richer and you will be bankrupt.

If your intended loves you she will accept a small wedding and live happily ever after in France 🇫🇷

Kind regards

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Generalisation
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@Stéphania Bielas

Many boys in Tunisia are looking forward to living abroad, and the reassuring way is to marry girls from rich countries to take him to heaven, but you have to know your partner and test him in the most crititcal situations before engagement

I wouldn't buy the house for her..  if you need to buy a house keep it on your name as long as you do it before mariage!

I cannot believe parents are asking for such thing! Usually they ask for a "mahr" or a big wedding, not a house!