Mail to and from Tunisia

Hi all - I wonder if anyone has experienced problems sending and receiving mail. We sent a card to UK on Dec 14 and it never reached there. Our daughter sent us greeting cards from the UK early Dec and also over a month ago and these have never arrived. The only thing to arrive was, strangely, a Jiffy bag containing my favourite tea bags - sent ordinary mail from UK in Dec and arrived in less than 3 weeks - which I was pleasantly surprised at. We have a PO box at the post office.

Percentage-wise, 75% of our mail seems to have got lost.

I guess the answer is, for anything important, you just have to fork out and pay for courier service.

Got a christmas card from Malta early Feb that had been posted on Dec 7th!!!! Yes anything important send by Rapid post

I have everything I send or receive by Fedex , that way it is tracked and can't be thieved!

Still waiting for my Christmas present from my mother in America. It's only been 16 months since she sent it out!

Thanks for your feedback everybody.

It is too expensive to keep forking out for courier service (which we have used a couple of times). Last year it was over £50 for a jiffy bag containing a few things like tea bags, weighing maybe 3/400 grammes - the postage was more than the value of the items - but at least it got here. 

As I said previously, my daughter also took a chance and sent me a jiffy bag stuffed full of tea bags in December - ordinary mail - and they arrived within three weeks. Her Christmas card sent a couple of days earlier, has never arrived.

I have lived in other overseas countries as a Brit - Europe, Middle East, Far East - and never experienced any real mail problems re incoming and outgoing overseas mail. OK, maybe once or twice in several years, something got lost - but nothing like the problems here. Normally wherever I have lived, mail sent by ordinary  (first class) mail arrived within 5/6 days and the same for incoming mail from Europe or the UK.

I suppose we just have to accept it is what it is living in Tunisia and weigh up the advantages with the disadvantages.

The other suggestion is to get a post office box. This may help, but......this is Tunisia!!!

Thanks but we've had a PO Box for a year now.