Employer refusing to confirm the joining date after EP approval

I got a job offer and new company applied EP. My EP has already been approved 3 weeks ago. But the new company informed me that they can’t confirm me a joining date since client has delayed the project.

After waiting more than 3 weeks I requested them to withdraw my IPA since they can’t hire me. Verbally they agreed and asked me to send email requesting to withdraw my IPA. But after sending email they never withdraw my IPA or even didn’t reply my email. Now job agent is not responding to my WhatsApp msg also.

Can company refuse to withdraw my IPA even when they failed to confirm me a joining date? Is it possible to complaint to MOM about this incident and ask their support to withdraw my IPA. Please kindly give me some advice on this matter. Thanks

You have a valid employment contract with the company.
A proper contract mentions a start date and a termination notice period.
With the IPA, you can travel to Singapore and start work at the start date agreed on.
If you prefer to terminate the contract, you have to inform them in writing and the contract will expire after the notice period - the employer must cancel the IPA then.
If they don't, write to MoM, attach contract and your termination letter - they may cancel the IPA then from their end (if the fault is indeed with the employer, which isn't clear from your message).

Thanks @beppi for your prompt response. Yeah the fault is employer side. They can’t hire me since client has delayed the project.
After writing to MOM they said they can’t withdraw IPA and settle this matter amicably with the employer. After so many follow ups with the company finally employer withdrawn my IPA last week. This wasted two months of my time.

iTechlk wrote:

Thanks @beppi for your prompt response. Yeah the fault is employer side. They can’t hire me since client has delayed the project.
After writing to MOM they said they can’t withdraw IPA and settle this matter amicably with the employer. After so many follow ups with the company finally employer withdrawn my IPA last week. This wasted two months of my time.

Hi, may I know how long did it take to withdraw your IPA?

There is no processing time for withdrawal. Once employer withdrawn the IPA or EP application it will immediately reflect the satatus.

Not true, withdrawal is immediate, but system update is not in real time- its a batch. Takes a day or so.

I checked my ep status immediately after I received acknowledgment from employer after withdrawal. It was updated real time for me.

Shekhz wrote:

Not true, withdrawal is immediate, but system update is not in real time- its a batch. Takes a day or so.

Hi Shekhz, I know IPA withdrawal is immediate as I had done it previously. How about withdrawal of EP appeal? My EP appeal is pending for more than 10 weeks and I thought of withdrawing it as I have another offer.

I saw some posts which said appeal withdrawal now takes about 3 weeks, so not sure on this.

Please advise.

crazycat1 wrote:
Shekhz wrote:

Not true, withdrawal is immediate, but system update is not in real time- its a batch. Takes a day or so.

Hi Shekhz, I know IPA withdrawal is immediate as I had done it previously. How about withdrawal of EP appeal? My EP appeal is pending for more than 10 weeks and I thought of withdrawing it as I have another offer.

I saw some posts which said appeal withdrawal now takes about 3 weeks, so not sure on this.

Please advise.

I’ve read that too, could be a one off sorts. It should be relatively quick. 10 weeks is bizarre, get in touch with MoM and get them to action on it. EP appeal shouldn’t take more than a few days. I’ve done both in the past, and not too long ago.

crazycat1 wrote:
Shekhz wrote:

Not true, withdrawal is immediate, but system update is not in real time- its a batch. Takes a day or so.

Hi Shekhz, I know IPA withdrawal is immediate as I had done it previously. How about withdrawal of EP appeal? My EP appeal is pending for more than 10 weeks and I thought of withdrawing it as I have another offer.

I saw some posts which said appeal withdrawal now takes about 3 weeks, so not sure on this.

Please advise.

I had a similar situation in terms of EP (renewal) appeal withdrawal as I had another offer.  Below are the steps that I did:
1. Discussed with the manager/HR about the situation (had new offer from other company), hence requested for withdrawal the EP appeal.
2. Once all agreed, HR submitted the EP appeal withdrawal request via iSubmit. Then, they followed up/called MOM officer on regular basis to expedite the process. it took 3 working days for my case.
3. MOM sent the confirmation letter/rejection letter, it mentioned that appeal was unsuccessful, hence the EP status will remain as rejected instead of withdrawn.
4. Once the point 3 done, new employer was able to submit new EP application.
5. Tendered the termination contract letter/resignation letter.
6. Served the notice period. Upon the last day, HR cancelled the current EP and sent the STVP letter. The validity of STVP was for 60 days.

Just bear in mind that when you take this risk, you may lose both jobs, as new EP also won't guarantee to be approved. hoping for the best, yet prepare for the worst.

Good luck!

New topic