Trust worthy property agents

Hi Everyone

We are moving to Mauritius end of year and already looking at property to rent.

Would like to know if anyone had issue with property agents running away with your deposit or had issues? Would like to support the local companies and not just your big multinational ones.

Regards
Neil

Trust worthy and Property agents are 2 different roads which run parallel to each other.

*** Trust your instincts and always go with a recommendation. Most are uneducated, low life losers in life who could not achieve anything in life and become property agents.

Do not forget it is Africa and they will steal your money and do a runner. I would always recommend to go to a reputed big one as they are at least reliable, and you know where to find them if anything goes wrong. Do not try to save a few hundreds as you risk losing it all by going to locals. They talk big when they need your business and you are on your own when anything goes wrong.

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Insulting
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you for the advice.

Again Maison Maurice is scare mongering about the local Mauritians who he would have us believe are all crooks and gangsters. Really not sure why you live here at all if you feel so negatively about the country.
Most of the estate agents you will find on Lexpress Property and Property Cloud are reputable companies but all will show the same property to 20 different clients and so there is no loyalty as such - so if you find something you  like, be quick in the current climate - or you will lose out.
As with anywhere in the world, use your common sense and work with reputable easily traceable people as Maison Maurice correctly points out. Also ensure you agree fees up front and bargain hard here - and ensure they are one-off and not repeated if you extend an agreement.
Good luck!

Thank you, appreciate it. 😁

standaman1967 wrote:

Again Maison Maurice is scare mongering about the local Mauritians who he would have us believe are all crooks and gangsters. Really not sure why you live here at all if you feel so negatively about the country.
Most of the estate agents you will find on Lexpress Property and Property Cloud are reputable companies but all will show the same property to 20 different clients and so there is no loyalty as such - so if you find something you  like, be quick in the current climate - or you will lose out.
As with anywhere in the world, use your common sense and work with reputable easily traceable people as Maison Maurice correctly points out. Also ensure you agree fees up front and bargain hard here - and ensure they are one-off and not repeated if you extend an agreement.
Good luck!

Excuse me. Maybe you would mind your language. I live here because my family is Mauritian. I am British and can make a difference between right and wrong.There is no scaremongering here,but just real facts.This is no high school. Maybe if could get off your high horse and mix with the locals you might be in the better position to comment.

I am assuming you are an older gentleman so not really in the know despite you living in Mauritius.Day in day out I see people getting ripped off because they have just moved to the island and the crooks take advantage. Not every person moving to the island is streetwise, and a wee bit wet behind the ears. Again to the original poster research properly as most agents will take down your trousers without you knowing. This applies only to the agents and not the other Mauritians the above poster is referring to.