5 goods reasons for not choosing Mauritius

Hi,

After exploring the positive aspects of living in Mauritius last week, we invite you in Weekly Magazine to discover the 5 good reasons for not choosing to live here ;).

What about you: what would be your good reason for not choosing to live in Mauritius?

Hi Julie,
I thought this as good a post to make my first comment here, I have been visiting this site for nearly a year now and find it a great place to research Mauritius especially with the views of Locals and Expats.
I will be interested to see what people who have lived in Mauritius suggest are the reasons NOT to live in Mauritius.
It is an interesting question that gives people considering moving to Mauritius, such as myself, a way to balance the Pro's and Cons, hope you gets some good responses.
Cheers
Simon

My two cents: Laws tend to change quickly, especially those immigration-related, so you never know if you'll be forced to leave or not ;)

Locals overcharge Expats at any turn.  Electricity is very high.  Water is not always available, especially in summer, road conditions are poor.

ok, here it goes....:)

The bigger the service company that you are dealing with, the more rude and none existence customer services you will find. I find small local shops have better customer service and friendlier faces than the faceless large corporations. Unfortunately, to live in Mauritius you will have to deal with these faceless companies, such as the phone companies, banks and insurance companies.... it is very frustrating when you are paying somebody for a service and all you get is an attitude when you are not happy with their service...I wish that these companies introduce over the phone “ that calls could be recorded for training purposes...etc..” because customer service here requires major training in basic customer service...

You will find a great number of people do not have appreciation for their country as an environment to live in. Packets of food, bags and cigarette buds, etc.. are thrown on the street. You do not need to be rich or poor to throw garbage in a garbage bin.

There is a great deal of stray dogs everywhere which could be daunting for someone who is scared of dogs.

1- low salary.
2- bad internet connection.
3- very tight market.
4- lows here changing fast.
5- too expensive cars.

You mean too expensive everything! And not only cars.
Salaries are very low and yet the cost of living is very high.

Too much bureaucracy

Worldwide customer is always right, in Mauritius customer is always wrong, and they will make sure you understand it with a smile :)
Short story - we went to Port-Louis to buy something from a shop and I ordered 200 pieces of something. I got the price wrong, and when I understood the correct price which was much higher, I decided to take only 50 pieces. The seller who felt she "worked" for almost nothing, clicked her tongue very loudly to make sure we understood she was very unhappy about it.

Parcels - Unless you receive a very small parcel, all of your parcels will be opened and checked. You'll have to drive to Port-Louis for that if you're in a hurry or wait for a whole week to receive it at your nearest post-office. I find this "nose stuffing" very disturbing.

Roads - my god stop building such tiny roads with no pavements.

All over the world, the government tries to help business, for example lower electricity rates or lower internet rates. Here it's the opposite!

My 2 cents... A bit more than 5 reasons... :)

One must first understand why one wants to live in Mauritius. What do you wish to gain out of the Mauritian experience. is it life style, is it opportunity to meet people from different cultures, etc,etc
Does the positive outway the negative. As an expat who has worked and lived in different countries, there is both good and bad in all

I'm getting frustrated because I can't buy or rent a car - too expensive. After two years, it's really annoying. I love to visit and explore and public transport is horrible in my opinion, you can't imagine the HOURS I spend waiting for buses (some of them come once an hour and it's happened before that said bus couldn't be bothered to stop for me because it was going so fast on the road...), then the time wasted in endless loops on the line (like the St-Pierre Vacoas bus now going to Bagatelle), and the state of exhaustion due to the noise and heat etc. And I can't imagine having a motorbike, I'd live with the constant fear of having an accident on the road.

Second, after 24 hours in Mauritius after my summer vacation in Europe, I'm already half blind due to allergies to I dunno what, my nose is runny and itchy and will be completely blocked by the time I go to bed, and I know I'll go to the doc again, who again will prescribe tablets that won't help, and I'll be sneezing and snorting and trying not to rub my eyes for a whole year )-:

Don't get me wrong, I love Mauritius, but these two things... People actually ask me how I manage to cope without a car. And being permanently ill is really annoying. So Two years were OK, now that I know nothing will change for another year it's making me feel sad, because nothing can compensate or make them less obvious in my daily life.

1. Low salary + expensive cost of living
2. Most people who works in customer-facing jobs (e.g. sellers, bank tellers, etc), does not have any sense of "customer service" at all. It's like they hate their jobs
3. Transpo - 1 word: Horrible!
4. Internet - slow + expensive
5. Customs - If you can avoid customs, avoid it. They're very slow and will charge you an unfair amount of tax (I bought a 20,000 worth of camera. I even have an invoice which proves how much I paid for it. But customs in Mauritius insisted that it costs 35,000 rupees and I needed to pay 15% of 35,000 rupees)

I know you said 5 but....
6. You had to do overtime then you suddenly remembered that you've got no food in your place? - Just drink plenty of water. All shops close very early so you wont find any shop where you can buy food
7. Shopping - forget about shopping in Mauritius
8. You love to watch the latest movies in cinema - wait for it for 2-3 months (+ if you dont understand french then you're very lucky if they show the film you've been waiting for in english)
9. You wanna buy some latest gadget - wait for it for 1-2 years, not to mention it will be very expensive here in Mauritius

Old buses and you travel with coackroaches
Roads very dirty with dog poohs everywhere
No customer service
Mauritius is so small,get bored after 4 days(hiking,swimiming, visited places-not very interesting!)
Quite rude people-no sense of personal space

Stray animals, litter, poor customer service, bad Internet connection, crazy drivers, apart from that we are very happy in Mauritius.e

I agree with the customer service - did any body try to get some information at air Mauritius ...it is such a waste of time and you don't even get the information you are looking for...

I think the thing that still bothers me most after two and a half years here is people pretending they are something they are not. The first time I went to the beach there was a guy telling me how good he was at his job because he had an office car. Big deal! And the number of people telling you they know people. Well of course, I am sure by now everyone has met some minister! But except for that, I am enjoying week ends at the beach and the company of the people I love...

The main reason I would not choose to live in Mauritius is the appalling lack of animal welfare. The MSPCA does not prevent cruelty, it causes cruelty. Dogs and cats are left to breed and roam,  spreading disease like distemper and parvovirus which is almost impossible to eradicate. PAWS and SAVING OUR STRAYS are working as hard as they can with very limited resources but it is mauritian mentality that must change. Please everyone, sterilize your dogs and keep them safe.

I could go on all day about this...

I have taken on two very lovely 'local' dogs who are both very gentle. One of them barked at a local yesterday (literally thats all he did lol) and he picked up a BIG rock to throw at him. So now every time this guy walks past my gate he has created a problem for himself.

The mentality here in many aspects of life can seem to an outsider as being very neanderthal. Littering is another example of something thats difficult to comprehend. Why would I want to live in my own mess?!

All of that said, it's easy to judge a country that's still developing (especially when you're from a developed country).

Mauritius has clearly made some big steps forward and has some way to go. Mauritians are blessed with a beautiful Island which, if they make the right changes and steps forward in their society, could one day be called paradise.

Mauritius is a beautiful Island....nice to spend holidays but.....to stay and to live here... that s another question:

- Salary very low, Cars: too expensive, Social security : very poor & bad, Some places are very dirty...lack of hygiene, construction materials very expensive, Amusement Park not available in Mauritius.

Mauritian School system very bad: children must follow additional courses after school hours and also during the week-end. What a life!!!

I like your reply Strawb. Picking up rocks is a very typical reaction. It will take a long time to change that mentality but, as you say, Mauritius could be a very beautiful island one day.

I agree with all comments already made especially my top 5 would be: No customer service, cost of living high in relation to local salaries, The misconception given by the government that Mauritius is a leading world power, Laws changing too quickly and mainly effecting expats and finally it is a shame for the accompanying spouse having trouble sometimes getting employment, it feels at times that you are unwanted even if you just want to work and use your skills to the benefit if the country.

Having commented above, we have been here for 5 years now and for all the frustrations and rudeness at times we are happy and grateful to be living in this paradise island and hope that they time continues. Finally comment just would be it is Paradise now, but if they do not stop building so many shopping centres and residential complexes RES etc there will be no paradise left only an island of concrete, they should protect and promote the beauty that exists here.

[hi ALL, I agree Mauritius is small paradise compare to other places .. I am from Mauritius and left the island years and years ago .. I feel proud to go home every now and then - Life has changed a lot for the better and the worse as well...Women are more active nowadays - drive their cars and go out with friends which was not the case when I was living in Mauritius....

The worst part is the crimes / rapes / road accidents / drugs / etc etc etc ....I think the Mauritian people want to advance too quickly - they are trying copy too much europe. 

The people working at the hotel are not well paid but they give their best -however no reference to Hart death in jan 11.  Who knows what really happened on that day ...

Let us hope Mauritius will stay the small paradise for a long long time ...

Candycandy you are right. Mauritius is a small paradise compared to some places! Stop the concrete jungle, raise salaries and look after animals!

Lucyluce wrote:

The main reason I would not choose to live in Mauritius is the appalling lack of animal welfare. The MSPCA does not prevent cruelty, it causes cruelty. Dogs and cats are left to breed and roam,  spreading disease like distemper and parvovirus which is almost impossible to eradicate. PAWS and SAVING OUR STRAYS are working as hard as they can with very limited resources but it is mauritian mentality that must change. Please everyone, sterilize your dogs and keep them safe.

I know I will be "flamed" by my $0.02  but what the heck!!!!

May be you haven't realised it but some of the strays are animals left behind by expatriates whose dreams to make it on the island vanished as if  we are watching a "bewitched episode'. During the past 3 months we have had 2 examples on the English forum to say the least - one couple had 4 dogs  ( who the heck needs 4 dogs on this island ) and another one bought a dog when she had only 7 months to go in her stay and knowing quite well that she won't be bringing her pet to her original country.

Hence the blame SHOULD be distributed all around  ( like some others who would like dogs who can survive only in cold climates not in the tropics but don't realise it )

You cannot trust anybody on this Island: family members, security guards, business associates. Your best friend can become an enemy.

mmmmmm....island politics rears it head. Believed this was a social,and I mean SOCIAL,website. d00d's and d00dess's find another platform

I agree this should be a social platform and we don't want people to be rude toward others on this blog...
stay cool...

stormers1960 wrote:

mmmmmm....island politics rears it head. Believed this was a social,and I mean SOCIAL,website. d00d's and d00dess's find another platform

but but but!!! where can rants be unloaded - surely not at work, or playgrounds or at home :dumbom::joking:

IMHO: That's the difference between the old expat world  (read diplomatic/International civil servants, large corpo Xfers or heavy industries/ industrial ressources - relo ) versus the new expat world ( mainly for economic or adventurous reasons) .  Makes one wonders how some will survive in sub-Saharan Africa, the jungles of SE Asia or  S.America w/o  mentioning the "freedom of speech " wrt the policies and politics  of the Middle  Eastern countries governments  :D

External wrote:

Hence the blame SHOULD be distributed all around  ( like some others who would like dogs who can survive only in cold climates not in the tropics but don't realise it )

Dont agree. We are talking about 'blame' for there being stray dogs left right and center and for the backwards attitude which makes the problem worse. Fair enough if people are bringing dogs into the country and leaving them here but I doubt it very much. A lot of expats are taking them off the street and sterilizing them whilst also giving the dog a decent opportunity of a life. I don't think it's helpful to say the blame should be shared because it shouldn't, that just encourages people to pass the buck whilst not sorting out their issues.

blueyeddaryl wrote:

I agree with all comments already made especially my top 5 would be: No customer service, cost of living high in relation to local salaries, The misconception given by the government that Mauritius is a leading world power, Laws changing too quickly and mainly effecting expats and finally it is a shame for the accompanying spouse having trouble sometimes getting employment, it feels at times that you are unwanted even if you just want to work and use your skills to the benefit if the country.

Having commented above, we have been here for 5 years now and for all the frustrations and rudeness at times we are happy and grateful to be living in this paradise island and hope that they time continues. Finally comment just would be it is Paradise now, but if they do not stop building so many shopping centres and residential complexes RES etc there will be no paradise left only an island of concrete, they should protect and promote the beauty that exists here.

Like and agree with your comment. Many people on this blog wanting to shout about the negative side only. As well as the negative I believe there are many positive sides to. You get the same where ever you go in the world, no place is perfect. After all... when you weight the pro's and con's? Mauritius wins.

Lucyluce wrote:

Candycandy you are right. Mauritius is a small paradise compared to some places! Stop the concrete jungle, raise salaries and look after animals!

Sorry, I'm a little confused, how do we create jobs without construction?  Here's the thing that foreigners don't get - many Mauritians are well educated and unwilling to work in agriculture or tourism. Some expats think that the locals are only there to be your maids, cleaners, or work in the fields, so that they can feel like a coloniser.

I dont understand why this topic is getting a bit heated up. :(
The topic is reasons not to choose mauritius, I gave 9! But if someone asked me reasons why I chose mauritius, I can give 20, that's why am here. Am sure most of us feels the same way.

So cool down people :)

Isn't time to reply here too ?

5 good reasons for choosing Mauritius

thanks !

http://theindependent.mu/2012/09/18/iaw … l-cruelty/

Dont get me wrong. I like Mauritius but this article highlights some of the issues the country faces not just on animal welfare, but general social attitudes. It's better to talk about things than sweep them under the carpet. If people were educated about animals they would realise that if you treat them well, they will treat you well. All the time you have an idiot running the countries animal welfare department you will get nowhere.

FWIW: Mauritius is  part of the sub-Saharan African countries and not the First world countries ( speaking strictly about its rank/economy/climate/govt/policies and politics and NOT the culture and money-grabbing attitude of its inhabitants). Just take a trip to any country in Africa or Asia and you will face with the same problems.  So it is a worthwhile exercise to do your homework and research before seeking "el dorado". There must be a reason why you left "YOUR HOME" to go to Mauritius . It is not just for the sake of adventure - an oxymoron- because otherwise you won't be complaining about the weather, insects or  the food  ( heck that's what travels are). If you have to come for employment , then you have yourself to be blamed.
Expats who do take international jobs have been doing their research for eons to see whether they and/or their families can adapt to their new locales.   I have seen the NY wife of a Bear and Stearn  banker who COULD NOT live in Paris 16  during the 80's - wonder how many would say "WHAT".
Yes the mentality of some of the locals on the island has a lot to be desired - i can say the same thing about the attitude of new-yorkers in Manhattan or some Brits in Birmingham or getting gyped in Thailand or Hong-Kong.

HI...

Just had a quick look at some silly comments I should say, you don't like Mauritius, then don't come or 'lev pakE allE' in creole jargon - its quite simple I believe, every corner of the world you go, you will face with all sorts of problem.

Nikolite,

I believe you are having some bad experiences, but kindly note that these are not reasons for blaming the country in general. What about Mauritians abroad facing racism problem?

Are you facing same in Mauritius? Dare you comment on that...

Cheers...

I would say job opportunities are quite limited to enhance growth.
People stick to their jobs and Orgaizations for long years due to this lack of opportunities.

Also International Assignments bring in exposure to better or different work environments.  Many locals do not have international exposure to other work environments. As students they would have gone to France or UK ; And some locals go for wedding shopping to India.

The kind of marketing automation that  larger markets and project management styles, trackers with deadlines, accountability for what they do,  is all to me missing here.

I could be wrong, but thats my first peeve.

On personal living standards, its as good or bad as any developing nation and improving for sure. But with very limited arilines operating - travelling out for holidays is expensive for a local salary.

Being an Island, cruises are absent. And conducted tours with decent aircon buses are absent.

they should have a tram or metro service to decongest the few big roads. Or build alternate roads to same destination - make a toll road , perhaps.

the question was asked '5 reasons not to choose Mauritius'. People answered. Don't get all upset about it. How can people do their homework and make an informed decision to come here if people refuse to have a word said against it? Nowhere is perfect :)

In my opinion the topic is getting quite heated up for a number of reasons. First it was asking for a negative response which in itself is quite fine since people need to see both sides of any issue to make informed decisions. Having said that, posing questions that solicit negative responses generally can be quite provocative. Also some have strayed a little far afield from the topic.

The biggest problem is we expats ourselves. There seem to be two separate kinds of expats nowadays. Those who immigrate to a country for non-monitary/lifestyle reasons and those who immigrate for purely monitary reasons.

Now the second group can get a bit complicated since some of those coming from an affluent/developed society to a developing nation have the misguided notion that their affluent and pampered lifestyle and standard of living is something that should be portable, something we should be able to carry with us from place to place just like another suitcase. This is a completely unrealistic and unfair attitude. It's also a bit amusing that these same individuals generally are the ones who, back home, believe that anyone coming to THEIR shores simply has to accept things the way they are, they must be the ones who make all the adaptations and fit into the new society and its culture and customs. Yet, these very same individuals are completely oblivious to the fact that they are not practicing what they preach when they immigrate to a new country.

I left Canada for Brazil eleven years ago. Believe me back then Brazil had so many serious problems that then and now are as different as black and white. The current reality in Brazil is no picnic in the park, trust me. From what I've read here by comparison Mauritius (problems and all) is paradise.

Having said that, when I came here I knew all the problems I would face, I knew the conditions here and I didn't come here with the unrealistic expectation that would all change simply because it was my God given right to keep my "First World" lifestyle in a developing nation.

If somebody asked me to create a list of reasons NOT to come to Brazil, it could fill a book. However, I could write a veritable 24 volume encyclopedia of reasons why one should come here despite all the problems that still exist.

Examine your motives, if you chose that country for lifestyle/climate/culture whatever then are those expectations being met? I would guess they are or you wouldn't stay. If your motives for chosing the country were purely financial, looking to get rich, or finding a job that was something much more difficult back home - then you must consider the fact that you're gaining your living at the expense of someone else (the locals).

In any case you've got to accept the bad with the good. It's simple logic that you put everything in the balance and if the good outweighs the bad you stay, if not you get out and you do that as a personal decision.

I found out very early on, when I stopped worrying, whining and complaining about the aspects of Brazilian society that I couldn't change I was able to see more clearly the good side, the things even that while I didn't like them I could help to change. I also found out that there were many more good reasons to be here than I ever imagined and that there's no place I'd rather be.

No nation needs a bunch of immigrants that are locked into the "well, back home it's like this...." attitude and complain that it's not like that in their host country. You're not back home! Deal with it. Open your eyes to the good things around you instead of wasting your time and energy focusing on the bad stuff that for the most part you can't change anyway. Remember you're in a developing nation and that "BACK HOME" didn't get the way it was overnight either.

I'm sure that the singularly most used phrase in all of our national forums must be "back home" and that in the vast majority of cases it is used in complaints about "here". Too many forum postings appear to have a clearly US v THEM tone.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Wooow.. you guys gave so many negative points and yet you still live here!!!

Expats should think twice before posting on this thread. Many of you I see come from Europe, USA or Asia... Maybe there you must have been used to certain luxuries and all kind of facilities..
Many points you gave, I totally agree with it. For instance low salary, bad internet connection and stray dogs.
But now living here and pre judging the mentality of Mauritians ain't fair. Anywhere you travel you will meet good and bad people. But Mauritius is a place where all religions live in peace and harmony. Go check out the racism rate in Europe or US.
You guys speak about low salary.. just to point out that Mauritians are paid like 4 or 5 times less than Europeans. And you still complain about it??! 
One person pointed out about the drugs/rapes/thefts.. well Mauritius is not a place where you walk on the street and hear gunshots is it???
I don't know where you guys went and felt unimportant in the eyes of Mauritians but we are a welcoming nation. If you are still living here, this is the proof and I am sure that you have better reasons to stay back here despite these lacking. It depends where you choose to go of course!
Yeah we do have the political corruption crap here.. but name me a place where you do not have it in the world.
Just to remind all the expats who come here with high expectations that always remember ALL Mauritians are from slave blood and whatever we achieved till now and are offering to you is exceptional. We worked hard to come to the position we are now. So choose your words carefully because they can hurt many people. You have all the facilities here. Good Shopping places and malls, the WORLD's CUISINE!!! international private education for those who can afford it.
Try to live the life of a normal middle class Mauritian for 1 week i dare you, you will flee the island. So quit your whining and man up!! Life is not all about luxuries.. some things are more crucial like love, peace and harmony.. and I guarantee you that we give you all these here.. plus a smile that costs nothing..

1)Corruption and the mentality that allows it to flourish- its amazing how most of us(I'm Mauritian too) think its alright to get favours because of political and otherwise connections if not overtly "buying" those same favours.
2)Lack of "political awareness" and response by the majority of the population. Politicians can do almost anything- the population does not demand answers and does not protest; worst of all, these politicians get re-elected again and again if they have the right party, ethnicity or money!
3)Insularity- OK we are an island in the middle of the ocean so I guess its to be expected but its still annoying! i love this quote from Mahatma Gandhi- “I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.”
4)Lack of accountability - in every possible field. I think this is one of the reasons why customer service, amongst other things, is bad. Complaining about anything is not effective as nobody really cares or even if they do , there isn't an adequate structure for feedback and improvements based on such feedback.
5)Lack of civic sense- this leads to things like littering, dangerous driving (and parking!), cruelty to animals etc,etc.

Of course, things may be worse in other parts of the world or they may have other problems but that doesn't prevent us from identifying the problems we have in Mauritius and with some effort and luck maybe remedy to those.

Thanks for reading!