Mauritian Citizenship by Decent - What is the Process?

Hi All,
My Name is Jasmine and i am looking for some help getting my Mauritian passport.
I need some help/ advice: I am a Mauritian Citizen by decent, my father was Mauritian ( he is is now passed away).

I'm trying to get my Mauritian passport and NIC but the process is a bit daunting. Im currently living in the UK. I was born in the UK, moved to Mauritius when i was 3yrs old, and then moved back aged 12 when my father passed away.

I have read several variations on how to obtain my NIC - Some have said it takes 2 years, some have said it can take 3 weeks! I suppose this depends on circumstances, but does anyone have any personal experience with this?

I have all the relevant original documentation, and can Apostille all UK documents here.

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is? Can I get a NIC as a Mauritian Citizen born abroad? Do I need a solicitor to do this, or is easily done on my own?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Hi JF

search for this under forum:

"Application of Mauritian Citizenship by Descent"

I think there are some pointers there

Good luck
P

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I have researched on the PO website and the embassy and have researched at various sites online. None give an exact time frame however. My question is one of time: i have people saying 10 days, 2 weeks and I've even been told 2 years! So I'm wondering if anyone who has been through this process can give me an idea of the length of time this process takes: years or weeks! If years then i need to factor in 2 trips to Mauritius. If weeks then i can do it all in one trip.
Many thanks

Jasmine

This is from die forum on expat.com that  i suggested  to you earlier on...not sure if this will help !

""Hopefully this will be of use to you as i've just this week submitted my application for citizenship via descent, whilst on holiday here. The process was relatively straight forward and took in total approx 3 hours of queuing / discussions with relevant officials before fornally submitting the application. So here goes.

The only documentation i was asked to submit were the birth certificates of both my parents, my birth certificate and a copy of the first 5 pages of my passport.

Re your fathers birth certificate, you will be asked to submit a more upto date version which includes an official stamp. The office is a 5 min walk from the PMO (apologies i don't have the address) and you need to purchase a RS25 stamp in advance from the post office next door. The clark will then search through various records and then print out accordingly.  In  total this took about an hour to complete.

2) i then attended the supreme court to have my application witnessed by a judge. This took all of 10 minutes at a cost of RS 1,000.

3) Back to the PMO to submit the various papers along with a fee of RS 2,000. Was then informed it will take upto 1 yr to be reviewed before a citizenship certificate is issued which then grants you the right to apply for an ID card thereafter. If you have a family member residing in Mauritius they will be able to collect your certificate on your behalf, with a balance of RS 15,000

I suggest you and your dad get his birth certificate printed and stamped, make your way to court to get your application witnessed and then proceed to the PMO.  That way you will be back on the beach in time for lunch!"
""

it was posted by user Mauritian_spurs

cheers
p

Thank you!

I am currently also working with a law firm in Mauritius that is helping me with the process if you like I can pass on the info

Let me know

Hi I am looking to start the same process and would like to get some legal advice. Do you mind sharing the law firm details. Thanks

The process is quite straight forward - make sure that you have all your documents as per the PO website. The submission of the documents takes a couple of hours but the approval takes about a year. You really don't need an attorney for this.