Citizenship Query

I and my partner visited Mauritius last year and loved it and would love to come back,

My partner was born in New Zealand but her mother and her grandparents were born in Mauritius and there is still a lot of family over there.

Pre 1965 the grandparents and her mother left Mauritius and moved to New Zealand on temporary British Passports (and I think renounced their citizenship as a result)

We have been reading over the official government webpage links mentioned in other topics and just can't our head around if there is any possibility of her getting citizenship through her mother or grandparents having been born in Mauritius or whether this is impossible as they renounced or whether the parents/grandparents have to take up citizenship again for her to then be able to apply etc

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or know what direction to point us in?

Lockynz wrote:

I and my partner visited Mauritius last year and loved it and would love to come back,

My partner was born in New Zealand but her mother and her grandparents were born in Mauritius and there is still a lot of family over there.

Pre 1965 the grandparents and her mother left Mauritius and moved to New Zealand on temporary British Passports (and I think renounced their citizenship as a result)

We have been reading over the official government webpage links mentioned in other topics and just can't our head around if there is any possibility of her getting citizenship through her mother or grandparents having been born in Mauritius or whether this is impossible as they renounced or whether the parents/grandparents have to take up citizenship again for her to then be able to apply etc

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or know what direction to point us in?

Up till March 11 1968, they were considered :

Every person who, having been born in Mauritius, was on 11 March 1968 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies became a citizen of Mauritius on 12 March 1968.

They may have been born on the island but were citizens of the UK and colonies - thus were using British Passports.

FWIW: Up till 1967 , my grandma was travelling  using a British passport  but as of March 12 1968, she had to apply for a Mauritian passport to fly overseas.

Your partner's mother will have to reclaim her Mauritian citizenship ( assuming the PMO accepts her application- see link below for #26  ) before your partner can apply under the Jus Sanguinis criterion .

https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6b4ef38.html

I am no lawyer but  refer to item # 26. Otherwise enquire at the PMO on your next visit to the island