Retirement in Mauritius

Hi All,

I have been contemplating on retiring in Mauritius.

So, from what I gather -

To retire in Mauritius, you have to meet the following criteria:

You have reached the retirement age of 50 years or above.

You must transfer a minimum monthly amount of $1,500 or an annual transfer of at least $18,000 (or the equivalent in a convertible foreign currency) to a local bank account in Mauritius. With just  $1500 monthly, you can benefit from a 10-year Residence Permit.

You have to submit evidence of funds transfer to the Mauritius Economic Development Board.

This is fine. what is not clear is for how long do you have to transfer the monthly amount? For 10 years?

Thanks in advance,

Carlo

Hello yes until the period the permit is granted to you

Hello Pogespark,

Welcome to expat.com!

If you need more information concerning retirement in Mauritius, you can read and download the newly updated Living in Mauritius Guide - 2023 edition.

You will find all the information that you require as from page 92.

All the best,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Pogespark  I have the exact same plan. These amounts are luckily reasonable. I tried Mexico, I was rejected because of the lack of funds of US$ 40,000 annually.

Thanks Yogniee! Will go through the guide.

To be honest, its not really a 'Permanent' Residence Permit in the true sense.

@Oshudofsky Yes, it is doable. as long as they don't increase this at a later stage because that would end up putting additional burden on our finances.

Also, if I am retiring with my partner, are we both to pay $1500 each? Which means we would be looking at a total of $360000 (for 10 years)?

Provided you are married and you are over 50 years old then the $1500 per month in total is good for both of you, one as the main applicant and the other as a dependent (children can be included too).  You'll need $1500 per month to live in Mauritius anyway so really it is just what you would spend anyway. We've done it and it seems a really good deal.

Thanks Andrew9799,

Definitely sounds good to me!

What age bracket would children need to be under to be considered dependent? What if they were over 20?

Also would they be allowed to work even if my wife and I aren't?

So my plan is to sell my property in Spain. Use the funds to buy a flat/apartment and retire in Mauritius for 10 or more years.

Am I allowed to buy two flats/apartments and rent one out?

Good questions. EDB says children upto the age of 24, and parents! I think you have to show money transfer for a minimum of 3 years to then apply for the 20 year permit. Once you have the 10 year initial permit, you can buy select properties on certain schemes. Again edb/retire gives more details. Whether your children are allowed to work or not -- I do not know, but it seems counter-productive if they are not allowed to work. As a retiree you cannot be paid a salary but you can invest in a business  and probaly get some perks. Again, you can get residency anyway if you buy property above 375000USD. There are so many options.

@Pogespark indeed. To be honest, I don't know why, but I have already somehow the whole time a gut feeling that, when I can retire, which is unfortunately end of next year, that it will be the case.  But we keep our fingers crossed. Are you planning to move still this year?

I read that anyone applied for dual citzienship after 5 years? Would make sense when i comes to buying properties.

Under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act a Commonwealth citizen may be registered as a citizen of Mauritius, if he has resided in Mauritius for a continuous period of 5 years or such shorter period (not being less than 12 months ) as the Minister may in the special circumstances of any particular case accept, immediately preceding the date of his application.

Application for registration under section 5 of the Mauritius Citizenship Act, shall be submitted to the Secretary for Home Affairs in the form set out below. The application shall be subscribed in Mauritius, in the presence of a Judge or the Master and Registrar of the Supreme Court or a District Magistrate.

I just registered on the EDB website and went to the information about the requirements of the retirement visa application. Although people here are talking about US$ 1.500,- , I see on the EDB website now an amount required of US$ 2.500,- ? 1f623.svg

"Evidence of funds from abroad of a minimum of USD 2500 in the local bank account of the retired non-citizen in Mauritius"

That would mean that I cannot relocate and retire to the island as my monthly pension will be about USD/Euro 2.000,- per month. 1f625.svg

@oshudofsky are you sure i still read:To qualify, you should be aged 50 or more and should undertake to transfer a minimum of USD 1500 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency to a local bank account in Mauritius.

@oshudofskyhttps://residency.mu/retire/retired-non … -50-years/

Retired Non-Citizen +50 years

Retiring in Mauritius may be your best choice if you are aged 50 or above.

With just USD 1500 monthly, you can benefit from a 10-year Residence Permit and live in a peaceful environment.

The Residence Permit further offers you the possibility to apply for a 20-year Permanent Residence Permit after 3 consecutive years.

@oshudofsky  - I am not sure when I want to move - sooner or later. The problem is 50 is too early to retire. With nothing to do, life would get monotonous very quickly. So unless there is something for us to do, I see no point in moving now.

But what if the Mauritius Govt. decides to discontinue this scheme for whatever reason. That would hamper our chances of getting in.

So at the moment I am caught between a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestions from anyone?

@Laura91 oh really. I went to the EDB website

RESIDENCY IN MAURITIUS

Visit our portal for more information. Residency.mu

Residence Permit as Retired Non-Citizen

The criteria for applying for a Residence Permit as a Retired Non-Citizen is as follows:

1. A Retired Non-Citizen is defined as a person who is not a citizen of Mauritius and aged

50 years or above.

2. A Retired Non-Citizen should make an initial transfer of at least USD 2,500 or its

equivalent in freely convertible foreign currency to his/her local bank account in

Mauritius.

3. Thereafter, the Retired Non-Citizen should transfer at least USD 2,500 monthly or an

annual transfer of at least USD 40,000 or its equivalent in freely convertible foreign

currency.

4. At the end of each year, the Retired Non-Citizen should submit to the Economic

Development, evidence of transfer of funds into his/her local bank account.

So I looked at the wrong pages then?  1f60a.svg

@Pogespark I wished I had that choice of retirement when I was 50. I have to work until 67 otherwise I had to live on bread and water.

There is so much to do on the island and now you are still young and flexible in mind and body. I can go hiking, beach hanging, cooking courses, diving etc.

And yes, I have the same worries about the government changes the entry requirements, as so many countries are doing now. But all I can do, is keeping my fingers crossed.

As somebody here advised me; I will start applying beginning of next year so to have the time when things go wrong but to make sure documents required are not older then 6 months  1f605.svg

@Laura91 thank you so much for the website link 1f60a.svg1f60d.svg

And this is also the official link where I have to be for applying ?

This is the official link : https://business.edbmauritius.org/

The requirement is definitely USD1,500 per month.

If you feel nervous about the value being changed up then there is an opportunity after living on the island under the retirement permit for 3 years and proving inward transfer of USD54,000 to apply for a 20 year permit. Holding that should make you feel more comfortable.

Note that all inward foreign currency transfers qualify. So if you purchased a property after receiving the permit that money would qualify as well.

@Yoginee Hi from Anne & Graham.

We are in the very final stages of making our decision to retire in beautiful Mauritius.

Can anyone assist with the following. Is there a prescribed time we would need to stay in Mauritius. We are planning to travel abroad and just wondered how many months in a year do we need to be in the country.

Have a wonderful evening.

@Gspot I am told that the ministry would hope that you spend the majority of your time in Mauritius. I did speak to an official from the edb, but she could not tell me anything more specific. I was tinking of spending at least 7 months every year on a retirement visa. Having a retirement visa should not mean that you cannot leave the country, but on the other hand, you should not misuse the visa either.