Difference between Occupation & Work Permit

Can somebody please explain the difference between a work permit and an occupation permit?

As a non Mauritian citizen would the cost of the permit be paid by the employer or the employee?

TIA

Jackie

Hi Jackie,

a work permit is delivered by the labour ministry ; your employer has to submit your application, and the process can be very long. It is mostly used in the textile industry.

an occupation permit is delivered by the Board of investment. The application process is much faster and easier, and your application can be validated in less than 10 days. The minimum salary to obtain an occupation permit as a professional is 60,000 rs per month, apart if you're working for an IT company. The minimum salary is then 30,000 rs

Hope this helps a bit

Julien

Hi Julien,

That is very helpful.

Thanks

Jackie

One major difference between the two permits:

(a)  Work Permit: applicant cannot be in Mauritius on application & processing
(b)  Occupation Permit : applicant should necessarily be in Mauritius

Work Permit can be applied to various posts and industries - for almost every case not fitting the Occupation Permit conditions.

All the best

Hi JUlien....

Regarding the salary thing...what if one would be earning a salary that's variable every month ?
For example a dentist working in private practice ?

Thanks
Yak

@machismo As far as I have heard, the salary amount needed is actually worked out over 12 months.  So in a 12 month period you need to show that you have earned at least Rs60,000 x 12
This is to accommodate people who work on commission and seasonal jobs.

machismo wrote:

Hi JUlien....

Regarding the salary thing...what if one would be earning a salary that's variable every month ?
For example a dentist working in private practice ?

Thanks
Yak

This is classified as self-employed in BOI's perspective. Salary is always fixed.

SnipsExpat wrote:

@machismo As far as I have heard, the salary amount needed is actually worked out over 12 months.  So in a 12 month period you need to show that you have earned at least Rs60,000 x 12
This is to accommodate people who work on commission and seasonal jobs.

This is not salary, as salary is fixed and should be clearly mentionned in the Employment that you have to submit to the BOI. A personal in the liberal profession (no fixed monthly income) is classified as self-employed.

I have an occupational permit and the turnover amount must be 600,000 per annum minimum. The new rules are 600,000 the first two years but 1,200,000 in the third year.

lynnismith wrote:

I have an occupational permit and the turnover amount must be 600,000 per annum minimum. The new rules are 600,000 the first two years but 1,200,000 in the third year.

Yes, you have a Self-Employed occupation permit.

Wow this seems steep.
Thanks for the feedback.
Regards
Yak

Check the Board of Investment website

http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

Please would like to have a chat with regarding the occupational permit
am seriously in need of it .

What the process ..

Boris555 wrote:

Please would like to have a chat with regarding the occupational permit
am seriously in need of it .

What the process ..

The FAQ section on this site will clarify things for you:

http://www.investmauritius.com/faqs/occ … ermit.aspx

There are 3 ways to get an occupational permit
1. Investor
2. Self employed
3. professional

Hi Boris

A brief on your situation would help. Are you in employment / Self-employed or Investor?

how long work permit holders normally allowed to work in Mauritius? in  work permit.mu  site they told
"Foreign workers are normally allowed to work for a period of four years. Beyond four years, they are required to swear an affidavit that they will not apply for Mauritian citizenship. Foreign workers are allowed to work in Mauritius as long as they are granted a Residence Permit."

and  other site they said after 4 years of work visa period , They may take up employment for another term of four years provided they have spent one year abroad at the expiry of their first term of employment....

which one is true? how long work permit holders could stay and work in Mauritius?.. please reply if you know..  thanks in advance

I have people here who are on work permit for more than 10 years. It's a matter of communication and how you frame your 'application case' and 'renewal case'

If we are an investor, ie a landlord with a monthly rental income, is it easy to get a permit? Sorry if Im confusing things
Thanks in advance
Jen

JENJEN23 wrote:

If we are an investor, ie a landlord with a monthly rental income, is it easy to get a permit? Sorry if Im confusing things
Thanks in advance
Jen

Can you satisfy one of these 2 conditions for an Occupation Permit as an Investor :

A non-citizen is eligible to apply for an Occupation Permit as Investor provided they satisfy any of the following conditions:

An Initial transfer of USD 100,000 and the business activity should generate an annual turnover of at least MUR 2 million for the first year and cumulative turnover of at least MUR 10 million for the subsequent two years.
An existing investor with a net asset value of at least USD 100,000 and a cumulative turnover of MUR 12 million during the preceding 3 years with a turnover of at least MUR 2 million in any one year.

BTW: If you are a non-citizen w/o a permit , how can you have monthly rental income on the island or are a landlord?

I am considering buying an apartment on the island, for accommodation to rent. That seems like an awful LOT of income to find from rent, after the first year!
Thankyou

It sure feels a bit of a housing bubble for expats now. I am a bit scared frankly

Do you own a house here Pamela? This is making me think twice. I was going to look at property this week..

Im looking to buy..

Getting rental income does not really qualify for a permit... except if the property is in PDS and costing above USD500,000. In this case, you get a residency attached to ownership of the property.

Else, buying and living on rental income per se, does not quality for permit.
It could be an additional income and cannot be the exclusive one.

Jenjen,

Are you planning to buy without being resident in Mauritius?

Hi Gawesh
Yes I will be here sme  of the time and live in the apartment myself. When Im not here i wil rent it

Jenjen,

You are not interested  in getting a residence permit. You want to buy a property as an investment. Whenever you are in Mauritius as a tourist, you will stay in the property. Otherwise, you will let it out.

Is this an accurate description of your intentions?

Regards
Gawesh

Yes tht is correct. However i do not have enough $$ to invest to allow me to stay as an investor.. the minimum is $100k so I m having to rethink my plans.