Is overstaying implies ban in Mauritius ?

Hello,

Kindly assist me with some advice if you have the information about what the immigration law say.

I made 2 entries in Mauritius in 2015 & 2016, all on business visa entries.
In my first visit i went for visa extension.

My second visit in 2016 i couldn't go for the extension due to some circumstances beyond my control.
I spent about 187 days in Mauritius in 2016 until i exit.

On my departure the immigration officer couldn't comprehend with me why this time , i failed to go for visa extension and for that matter i should not come back there again.

I want to visit again on status of visit visa and not business visa.

My question now is, am i ban from visiting
Mauritius again?

What do i ve to do to be able to enter again when i reach the visa counter section?

Do i need hire immigration lawyer ?

I dont know what to do now.

Thanks

If you overstay in most countries of the world then in the eyes of the law in many cases you are in fact an "illegal immigrant".  I think you may find it hard to gain entry to Mauritius on the basis of overstay as you could easily do it again.  I am wondering what circumstances beyond your control meant you could not apply for extension ?.  Why did you not check out these circumstances before deciding to overstay.
According to some sources -:
"3. Any person who overstays in Mauritius after the end of the period stated on the visa or entry permit shall commit a crime and may be prosecuted by a court of law."

If you overstay, then you might be banned from entering the country again for some time (e.g 5 years) because of a high possibility that you will do it again as mentioned by Leslie.
It's a common practice in many countries. And I fear there's not much you can do about this because you committed the act voluntarily.

Moreover, if you overstay, it's a breach of the law and you might be prosecuted for that before being deported. In this case, you should consider yourself lucky they allowed you to leave.

Wow...
Interesting revelations fron Leslie and Winston.
Thanks for your input anyway.

I was working on my web development project which i had limited time to complete it moreover i was handicap is some areas of the project as to how to make it functional. Because of that i didn't want to waste time to go to sterling house for the processing of the visa extension. I took inspiration from the fact that i ve done it before so the intention is clear in that regards as to not become an illegal immigrant. Now there's a need to come back to complete similar project (personal non business )

I ve read here on the forum that max length of staying is 180 days at each entry, so i put it to the officer on my day of departure and then she says i ve done 187 days.

My country and some other countries have a bilateral arrangement with Mauritius as to how some of this issues are handle so what the laws of the land says is what im seeking and what i can do or will not be able to do. Assumption will not be of help.

The situation would have been different probaly if i had held a Bangladesh passport.
When its comes to law i think there's no luck.

For that matter i was not lucky to have been allowed to leave.

If u are arrested for doing what otherwise as your visa requires u to do then u could be procces to court for a possible deportation.

I ve option to consider another country but knowledge in this instance will be of great help.

Merci...

The '180 days in a year' is only a theoretical aspect of the immigration process. An entry permit for tourist visit and business (the stamp on your passport) is always considered on an individual basis before it is granted. Therefore even if it says 180 days, the reality might be completely different. Some people are only allowed 90 days or less.

Now coming to bilateral arrangement
This only helps in the event that, even if you hold a valid entry permit/visa, you were deported from Mauritius in arbitrary circumstances without being given valid and reasonable explanations.
Bilateral arrangement rarely comes into play for entry permit/visa overstay cases.

However, that said, there might be exceptions to the rule. I would suggest you get in contact with a Mauritian Embassy or consulate or the office closest to your jurisdiction and explain your situation. Things might work out.

Thanks, Winston

Oh dear , when you said " I took inspiration from the fact that i ve done it before " i hope you did not mean that you have overstayed a visa before.  If it has happened and it was in Mauritius for both times then I think you will have trouble getting visas anywhere with that way of doing things.  Stamps on a passport are one thing but you must remember that a passport is an international document for travel and a such any country could in theory send a list of all passport numbers and holders to any other country or database where visas have been overstayed.  Clearly as you say you was not trying to be an illegal immigrant by the fact you obtained the visa in the first place, however as the law is the law the day after your visa expires you are illegally in the country regardless.  It is not the fault of the company you was doing the work for for causing you to overstay.  Yes had you been injured in a car accident and was in hospital and could not travel then yes the authorities would probably have to allow a temporary overstay but deliberate overstay with no real grounds to defend that action will not get very far on application for the next visa.

Well if you over stay for 7 days and that the concerned authority did not give to you a illegal stay document to fill . it mean that you are fine . they will not take in account on your next visit.
Most of the time Authorities will not prosecute you as they are happy if you leave .

In some rare cases there could be prosecution but this is only if you do it for very long period or you did it several times or try to play with the system .

If you fail to leave on time you better notify the concerned authority and explain the reason why you fail and when you are planning to leave .
The visa purpose is to control illegal migration . so as far as you notify the authority you are not illegal, and has no intention to stay illegally .

That is why it is hard to prosecute you when you arrive to immigration desk with a ticket to leave the country . it mean legally that you have no intention to stay illegally . But again be warned that this only depend on the discretion of the officers and administration . So it is not a general rule.

in case you over stay you better contact the office of immigration of the country prior to your vist . they can check it and tell you exactly whether you can or not visit the country and under which conditiin or if you are ban .

Hi everyone
I came to Mauritius on a Tourist Visa and I was gaven 20 days.
After one week some days I visited the immigration department of passport and visa for extension.

When I got there I was asked to photo copy all my documents to bring it back to my visa extension.
But when I came out I started to get sick,my started to beat very fast to the point that I nearly died.
I charter a taxi to take me to any near by hospital.
The taxi to me chisty sifia clinic in Port Louise.
I was admitted.

And I got all my medical Bills and certificate from chisty sifia clinic.
I have it in my possession.

After I came home the next day it was not easy on me again,I have to RSS international hospital for another check up.

The problem was to no avail.
I was one of their everyday sick patient.
While I taught there was no improvement I also visited the Grand Baie clinic and I was admitted for one night with Enough medicine to be taken.

I got all medical Bills and certificate including lab results from the Grand Baie clinic I have it with me.

There was still no way to my problem,so I decided to go back to RSS international hospital.
I went the same situation was still the same.
I have all necessary documents from there three 3 hospital. 2 clinic one hospital.

Now doing this illness my visa got expired on march 1,2022 and my new return ticket is march 18,2022.

With this situation will I be deported or ban from entering Mauritius anytime of my choice?

It really worrying me alot.

I have all necessary documents from there medical center.
Some please help me.

Do I still need to go to  immigration for extension before my departure on the 18 of March 2022?

Hello Darious,

Hope you are feeling much better...

I don't think you will be banned or deported however, (can't say for sure), i suggest that you contact the immigration services asap and inform them about your situation.

Regards,
Anou

Thanks also for your response.

But I just send the immigration department of passport email.

Concerning my issues.

But I am leaving the 18 of  March 2022.

I have all necessary documents from the 2 clinic and 1 hospital that I was visiting throughly.

During this accidentally situation my 20 days visa got exhausted on march 1 2022.
And now I have gone close to a month.
That is I have gone 28 days in Mauritius illegally.

Which i am not pleased with at all.
Because it danger my record and passport.

As Anou said , you should contact immigration office asap as nobody know for sure what will be the charges or fines.
If you are well now then you should visit the office and show them every documents supporting your stay. I think there is overstaying fees to be paid if you directly try to exit the country and also they can mark your passport.
If they find everything is sufficient they will grant you extension free of charge and also update it on their records, after that you won't get any issues at the airport.

Thanks for the information.
I will go to the office 12 of march.
I don't not need additional time again.

I want to go back to where I came from.

euh  :unsure 12 March.... You should go today itself. They work week days! 12 March is public holiday, Independence day, it will be closed!