Employment Visa Details

Hello, my employment Visa expires on 31-07-2019. My sponsor is not cancelling my Visa, he is telling to renew it which I'm not interested in. What I have to do next??? Also do I have to work after the expiry of Visa that's on 31-07-19???

Hi Armd47,

I understend your current visa is expiring on 31 July 2019 and you dont want to extend it, however, you did not specify the nature your employment i.e. whether it is for a definite period or indefinite as the law differs depending on the nature of employment.

According to the Labour Law of Oman, if your employment contract is for a definite period, then the employment contract comes to an end at the time it expires and if the the employee and employer continue their relationship after the expiry, the previous contract will define the relationship between the parties.

And if the contract is indefinite duration, either party can terminate the contract with 1 month notice unless the emplyment contract says any thing contrary.

Thus in your case, if your visa expiry date and the employment expiry date are same, as is usually the cas, then you can formally notify your employer of your intention not to continue the emplyment and ask for final settlement of your entitlements i.e. your end of service benefits. By contrast, if your contract is of indefinite duration, you need to serve one month notice of  employment termination provided your contract does not stipuoates otherwise.

Hope it helps.