Different types of visas for Oman

Published 2018-09-19 13:44

If you are travelling to Oman, it is important to be aware of the countrys visa options and entry requirements before booking travel. A visa may be required if you are from outside the Gulf Cooperation Council countries. Visas can be obtained in advance, either through the countrys e-visa portal, or through your local consulate.

Tourist visa

Oman has a visa exemption policy with fellow member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council- this means if you are a citizen of Bahrain, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia. Qatar, or Arab Emirates, a visa is not required.

Citizens of over 70 countries are eligible to apply for an e-visa for tourism purposes, which can be applied for online and are valid for stays of one month (although this can be extended if you have a local sponsor). If your home country is not eligible for the e-visa, contact your local embassy or consulate for more information on the visa application procedures. The visa application website is available for use in both English and Arabic.

There is a small fee to apply for this visa, and your passport must be valid for at least six months after your proposed travel date.

Employment visa

If you have been offered employment in Oman, they can sponsor you to obtain an employment visa so that you can work there. To apply for this visa, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be at least 21 years old, and no older than 60

  • Provide two photographs and a copy of your passport

  • Provide the original labour permit, as well as a copy, issued by the Ministry of Manpower (your new employer can assist with this)

  • A medical certificate is required for citizens of certain countries, including India, Pakistan, Philippines, Indonesia, Sudan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Syria, Egypt, and Ethiopia.

Family joining and residence visa

The family visa is designed for a husband, working in Oman, to sponsor his wife and/or children, to move to Oman. Please note, women are generally not able to sponsor their husbands to relocate, it is only for men to bring over their wives. Same-sex marriage is also not legal in Oman. To apply for this visa type, you will need to provide photographs for each person requiring a visa, proof of your relationship (such as marriage or birth certificate), and a completed application form. As per the employment visa requirements, a medical certificate may be required for nationals from certain countries.

Investor visa

If you wish to invest or open a business in Oman, you must obtain approval from the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. After this has been approved, you can apply for an investor visa- this will allow you to invest funds in the country, and to reside in Oman.

Other visas

There a range of other visa options, depending on the purpose of your visit, and more information can be found on the Royal Oman Police website. Other visa options include a transit visa, student visa, road transit visa, scientific research visa, and artist/entertainer visas, to name a few.

Useful links:

Employment visa

Tourist visa

Gulf Cooperation Council

E-visa portal

E-visa frequently asked questions

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.