Children integration in a new school in Belgium

Hello everyone,

Moving abroad can be particularly hard on children. For any parent planning a move to Belgium, it is of utmost importance to make sure they do everything in their power to make sure their children's transition is as smooth as possible. Would you be able to give a few tips to parents planning to move to Belgium by answering the following questions on children integration?

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Belgium?

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Belgium?

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum?

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools?

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school?

Tell us how it went for your child in Belgium.

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

Hello Bhavna,

Since again, nobody seems interested in the well-being of the children in the visitors of your post, I will give you my feeling on the question through the expatriation of my children.

What does one need to factor in when choosing a new school for their children in Belgium? --> Proximity to home / Adequacy of previous course / Let your child choose by visiting schools with him. Because you have to respect his feeling. He's going to be there every day, not you!

How does one prepare their children for the transition into a new school in Belgium? --> Most of the time, parents stress more than children. For most young people, unless there is a temporary problem with the language barrier, integration is done in less than a week. Only for certain adolescents in the midst of an "existential" crisis will this be a problem.

How does one help their children integrate into their new school? Any tips to help a child transitioning into a completely different new program or curriculum? --> Ask as soon as possible to compare the program with the one already taken by your child / Assist him without judging him if he misses some or if his results fall. He will come back if you encourage him WITHOUT reminding him of his previous results ......... Encourage him to make friends outside of school with his new condiples and do the same with parents of students in his class.

Is there an age period during which a child really should change schools? --> Age is not a problem in itself, it is the level of the school year. Because a lot of school runs on two-year cycles. And also the change must be done if possible in adequacy with the return of the classes.

What are the signs that a child is having trouble transitioning into their new school? --> When he's not talking to you about anything or just basic

Tell us how it went for your child in Belgium. --> For mine, three different countries, less than a week later, they seemed to have been there for a very long time.